Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

As my Sony RX100 has gone to meet its maker, I have begun looking for a new similar size camera (does not have to be Sony).

It needs to be small enough to fit in a pocket, not to heavy, SD card capable, needs to have some zoom and maybe even have integrated wifi.

I was wondering if anyone in here could offer some advice on that subject.

Thanks for looking.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Honestly, though I use a couple Nikons and a Fuji X100F, I'd get another Sony RX100 if it does what you want. No big learning curve to go through for a new brand's menu system, just get right back to shooting. They seem to be fairly highly regarded by users and from what I see go for anywhere from $500 - $1000, I'm assuming depending on which features and model.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

As my Sony RX100 has gone to meet its maker, I have begun looking for a new similar size camera (does not have to be Sony).
It needs to be small enough to fit in a pocket, not to heavy, SD card capable, needs to have some zoom and maybe even have integrated wifi.
@Joey83
Funny I was just looking at getting the Sony RX100 V, and it's underwater housing to use as an adventure camera for when things get too wet to take out my Nikon D700.
What happened to yours?

Boort

CWu21

Rank IV
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Meridian, ID, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
A
Member #

I have the Rx100 V and I Love it no problem just replacing your old one with a new one. Love the features and quality. Only issue you run into is if your doing 4K video with the battery overheating

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM

Thanks for looking.
You may want to check out the Panasonic Lumix. Very similar to this Sony. I still shoot with the older version Lumix V for underwater photography.

MoreGone

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mesa, AZ
Member #

The RX100 really is benchmark for the class of camera. There are not a whole lot of competitors in the class.

I have the Panasonic Lumix LX100, which is very similar to the RX100. It does use a Sony sensor so it's performance is on par.
There is also the Lumix LX10 which has a larger M4/3 sensor but less features.

"Pocketable" does limit the field a good bit. If you really wanted some Zoom, you could look at the RX10, same sensor but different body, more like a small DSLR and with much more of a zoom range.

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

Thanks, but for zoom I use a 150-500mm lens on a crop camera which gives me 225-750mm of zoom (with 1.4x and 2.0x integrated teleconverter in the camerabody giving me a total of 1500mm of zoom @ 6 mpx), more than I'll ever need. :)

Last edited:

JimInBC

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Southern Vancouver Island
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Freer
Member #

I Carry Nikon a D7300 and a D5300 I have been using Nikon for a long time and Still have 3 film bodies and a bunch of glass that works with both the 7300 and the film cameras.
My thoughts on new camera, look for the features you want and make the best body selection you can within your range. I prefer to spend the money on lenses because with current trends, they live longer than a bodies, that said I kept my first digital body for almost 10 years but it was way behind before I upgraded.
I also still use film. but that is a different conversation.

FJ81

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southern California
Member #

If you choose Panasonic or Olympus you can get some small pancake zoom lenses for them to make them compact. The mid range ones have some relatively compact bodies. I personally have a Olympus OMD EM5 Mkii, I ended up sticking a grip on it to make a bit bigger. But without it, it is nice and compact. And it has 5 axis stabilization.
Here is a picture of it with the grip. And the 14mm to 150mm zoom.
20160520_140830.jpg
The Gx8 Panasonic or Olympus Pen F have a more retro look and a smaller footprint and no faux dslr hump on top.

SpikeMD

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Granite Bay, CA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Speicher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WJ6SPK
Check out some of the Fuji cameras. Small form factor, excellent glass and great sensor. I just bought an X-E3.