Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
There are a few Yukon, Tahoe, Suburban threads here. Not many, so welcome to the few and the proud.

Reactions: RAMXPLR

RAMXPLR

Rank V

Explorer I

Carlsbad, San Diego County, California, United States
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Lochow
Member #

What have you done, or plan to do with your rig?
Last week cosmetics- painted the center portion of the hood and grill with matte black vinyl to tie in with the trail ready bumper, winch and lights that are being installed Thursday. I’ve upgraded all the lights, new 3inch magnaflow exhaust, and new brakes. Next, (after I find money under a rock) I’ll do a lift and 35” tire/wheels. Somewhere in between I’d like to put on the Wilco Hitchgate spare tire/hi-lift jack and gas carrier. Presently, I’m studying for my ham radio license so I can add that as well. It all takes time and money! Currently, all I have is a lot of time

Reactions: Sparksalot

RAMXPLR

Rank V

Explorer I

First Name
Gary
Last Name
Lochow
Member #

What have you done, or plan to do with your rig?
Last week cosmetics- painted the center portion of the hood and grill with matte black vinyl to tie in with the trail ready bumper, winch and lights that are being installed Thursday. I’ve upgraded all the lights, new 3inch magnaflow exhaust, and new brakes. Next, (after I find money under a rock) I’ll do a lift and 35” tire/wheels. Somewhere in between I’d like to put on the Wilco Hitchgate spare tire/hi-lift jack and gas carrier. Presently, I’m studying for my ham radio license so I can add that as well. It all takes time and money! Currently, all I have is a lot of time
What have you done?
Any advise?

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
What have you done?
Any advise?
After using it awhile, I’m about to pull the trigger on a spare set of wheels with AT tires. Mine is still in essentially cop trim. I had added a bolt on hitch receiver but it sat too low, so recently swapped out the rear bumper structure to add a “factory” hitch. I’ve thought about the Wilco piece too, but that would be a ways down the road. The radio installation was easy, all I had to do was pop the roof plug, and put antennas right back where the highway patrol had them.

BigDogYJ

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

California, USA
First Name
Jamison
Last Name
Donato
Call me crazy, but I’m turning my 2004 Yukon XL into a bug out/ overlander.
Anyone taken one of these off road?
Just did Bodie and Copper Mountain with mine this last weekend. Did great. A few desert pinstripes but the rig handled it like a champ and still cruised home on the highway and hauled a trailer back on the way home!

Attachments

RAMXPLR

Rank V

Explorer I

First Name
Gary
Last Name
Lochow
Member #

What have you done?
Any advise?
That makes it easy!
After using it awhile, I’m about to pull the trigger on a spare set of wheels with AT tires. Mine is still in essentially cop trim. I had added a bolt on hitch receiver but it sat too low, so recently swapped out the rear bumper structure to add a “factory” hitch. I’ve thought about the Wilco piece too, but that would be a ways down the road. The radio installation was easy, all I had to do was pop the roof plug, and put antennas right back where the highway patrol had them.

RAMXPLR

Rank V

Explorer I

First Name
Gary
Last Name
Lochow
Member #

Precious clearance and departure angle.
I know what you mean. I have an even longer wheel base with the XL, so I’ll need to lift it and put at least 35’s on there to avoid high centering on obstacles and to gain a little more clearance on approach and exit angles to account for the length.
Goin with what I got- I like the big truck.

Reactions: Sparksalot

RAMXPLR

Rank V

Explorer I

First Name
Gary
Last Name
Lochow
Member #

Call me crazy, but I’m turning my 2004 Yukon XL into a bug out/ overlander.
Anyone taken one of these off road?
Just did Bodie and Copper Mountain with mine this last weekend. Did great. A few desert pinstripes but the rig handled it like a champ and still cruised home on the highway and hauled a trailer back on the way home!
Good to hear it! Thanks for the big truck inspiration!

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I know what you mean. I have an even longer wheel base with the XL, so I’ll need to lift it and put at least 35’s on there to avoid high centering on obstacles and to gain a little more clearance on approach and exit angles to account for the length.
Goin with what I got- I like the big truck.
Run what ya brung. Mine is actually lowered with the police chassis. I’ve had no real problems with that so far. I’m looking at AT tires so I can adjust air pressures, gain more sidewall strength, plus better traction in slippery mud conditions.