Calling all Jeep Commanders!!

• HTML tutorial

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

I'd love to have a Commander with a Hemi and the rear sunroofs. I've always thought that was a very nice vehicle. Did it ever come with a rear locker?

I can see how it would be short legged, but range can be extended by carrying fuel. Wranglers don't have much better range, but you see them all over the place overlanding and yes, many times carrying fuel.

Reactions: jscusmcvet

Megadoomer

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

N32°55'31.94",W117°05'20.21"
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Rossi
Member #

I'd love to have a Commander with a Hemi and the rear sunroofs. I've always thought that was a very nice vehicle. Did it ever come with a rear locker?

I can see how it would be short legged, but range can be extended by carrying fuel. Wranglers don't have much better range, but you see them all over the place overlanding and yes, many times carrying fuel.
Mine has the sun roofs, but the main one is prone to leaking. They dont have a locker and probably dont need it. The Quadra II is electronically controlled and does a really good job. I prefer my Commander on ice and snow over my Land Cruiser for that reason, but only that reason.

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

I currently get 12.5 combined with the 4.7L V8. One of guys here, Josh Duncan, or something like that, gets something similar.

I don’t have a setup yet to carry extra fuel but hopefully that’s in the near future after the RTT.
I forgot about the 4.7. I like that engine, too. Let's see some pics!

We've got one in our neighborhood with a lift and either 33's or closer to 34" tires that looks really nice. I know they love it and take it off-road. (They aren't into overlanding, though.) They say it does very well on tough trails.

jscusmcvet

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Carolina
First Name
John
Last Name
Caliri
Member #

Service Branch
USMC Veteran
I have seen a very nicely built one on the trails do quite well, at least beter than expected. Before moving to a truck to carry a camper we considered one.

luchaDor

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pioneer II

Urbandale, IA 50323, USA
First Name
Doran
Last Name
Else
Member #

I forgot about the 4.7. I like that engine, too. Let's see some pics!
I like my 4.7L, its the 2008+ engine which added 70 HP to 305 HP and 334 ft/lbs of torque among many other engine upgrades. It also is E85 compatible which I run almost exclusively. I love my 4.7L and chose it over the Hemi. Now...if I can find a 2008+ 4.7L w/QDII, I'll be all set.

REWDBOY

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

LA,CA
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
M
Member #

What's up fellow XK folks! It's good to hear all the positive feedback about the Commander on the trail. I'm just about to begin the first stages of building out my Wife's rig, a 2006 5.7L Hemi w 115k - pure stock, with exception of k&n cold air intake ( anyone know if this air intake would be a hindrance on the trail..? Total off-road rookie here ) -

sidenote: the second pic, I chose to expose for Half Dome over the Jeep!

IMG_1544.JPGIMG_1558.JPG

Reactions: Jopina7807