Jefferson, NY
First Name
Luke
Last Name
VanCleef
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K2LVC
So I notice a lot of the tents and sleeping bags have warnings on them about cancer and birth defects ... I have be doing some research and it seems that air quality levels are not the best in some . Is there a way to buy a green tent ? is there really anything to worry about ? has anyone else even given this a thought ... you know camping outdoors and fresh air the last thing you want to worry about is cancer causing flame retardant breathing in every time your out ... whats everyone think ? am I just paranoid ? I guess that alot of other items have similar warnings like beds and furniture but who knows

thejoking__explorer

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Denver Co
Member #

So I notice a lot of the tents and sleeping bags have warnings on them about cancer and birth defects ... I have be doing some research and it seems that air quality levels are not the best in some . Is there a way to buy a green tent ? is there really anything to worry about ? has anyone else even given this a thought ... you know camping outdoors and fresh air the last thing you want to worry about is cancer causing flame retardant breathing in every time your out ... whats everyone think ? am I just paranoid ? I guess that alot of other items have similar warnings like beds and furniture but who knows
Not trying to be a dick but yes you are paranoid.

Luke VC

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jefferson, NY
First Name
Luke
Last Name
VanCleef
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K2LVC
somethings going to kill ya right .....

Spaceman Spiff

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Papillion, NE, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Busta
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4TOW
Everything causes cancer in California. I recently moved here and see signs everywhere. Parking garages, office buildings, other places that I don't think I had ever seen. There is currently a debate about signs being required at all coffee shops.

Reactions: Nicholas Holley

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

@Luke VC - you're going to be outside, breezes flowing, windows open, tent flaps up, air moving all around you.

Even on a rainy day with the tent closed up more, there will not be anywhere near enough of anything from flame-retardant treated fabrics, or any other potentially nefarious chemical, to contaminate the air you're breathing to anywhere near a bad enough level that you would ever notice an effect in your lifetime.

I'd be willing to bet my trailer that you're breathing worse, more cancer/birth-defect causing air in your car every day from all the plastics and compounds and insulation, and other people's exhaust fumes.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I am going to go out on a limb here and deduce that if your name is Luke then you are a male. If that conclusion is correct then you are already hosed: As far as Kali is concerned, testosterone causes cancer.

See here: https://oehha.ca.gov/proposition-65/chemicals/testosterone-and-its-esters

Give Kali time. Eventually they will decide to mandate Prop. 65 tattoos on all newborn males. Many of whom will then grow up and sue the state because they self-identify as some other gender.

It's a beautiful system.

Luke VC

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jefferson, NY
First Name
Luke
Last Name
VanCleef
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K2LVC
thanks guys it really is a broken system ... create products that can be bad for you then do not fix the problem just cya so you do not get sued with making sure there are warning labels ... guess I shouldn't be surprised by this point in life ... but sometimes I still am lol....

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
thanks guys it really is a broken system ... create products that can be bad for you then do not fix the problem just cya so you do not get sued with making sure there are warning labels ... guess I shouldn't be surprised by this point in life ... but sometimes I still am lol....
The worst part is that you don't know if those products actually are toxic, like mercury and lead, or if they merely cause tumors in lab rats when 10,000 times their body weight has been injected into them.

Good luck sorting out which things actually are bad for you.

Personally, I think being kept in cages causes tumors in lab rats.

But once you go injecting things into animals that know better than to eat them you have gone off the rails. We end up with the only safe things being tofu and kale, and that simply because the rats give up all hope and die of broken hearts, but hey, at least they didn't get tumors.

It is another beautiful system.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Here in Cali...Desert dust can cause lung cancer from the chemicals dumped over the years as well as normal dust in the volcanic areas. Some areas the water is so bad you cant bathe in it unless treated. In the Inland Empire where I live, its a bowl ringed with mountains on 3 sides. We had the worst air in the country for the longest time. Breathing is bad for you here. People here cant drive if its raining, snowing, foggy, windy or sunny. Driving is bad for you here as well as walking along the roads.

Years ago, in my dealership, GM had to put a sticker on the window warning about the dye in the upholstery having a chemical in it that could cause cancer. The sticker was made with a special glue that was causing the windows to stick. I guess that means, if the window wont roll down, you will die from the upholstery. See even our warning labels are bad for you here.

Bottom line, DONT come here, everything here will try to kill you and we have EARTHQUAKES!!!!!! BIG ONES!! All the time. If your already here, leave quick and take the politicians with you to keep them safe. The few of us left will sacrifice ourselves to keep this place nice.

Oh...did I derail this thread...sorry. To the OP, don't eat the tent, you will be fine. :sunglasses:

Scott

bigskypylot

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Bozeman, MT
Member #

Here in Cali...Desert dust can cause lung cancer from the chemicals dumped over the years as well as normal dust in the volcanic areas. Some areas the water is so bad you cant bathe in it unless treated. In the Inland Empire where I live, its a bowl ringed with mountains on 3 sides. We had the worst air in the country for the longest time. Breathing is bad for you here. People here cant drive if its raining, snowing, foggy, windy or sunny. Driving is bad for you here as well as walking along the roads.

Years ago, in my dealership, GM had to put a sticker on the window warning about the dye in the upholstery having a chemical in it that could cause cancer. The sticker was made with a special glue that was causing the windows to stick. I guess that means, if the window wont roll down, you will die from the upholstery. See even our warning labels are bad for you here.

Bottom line, DONT come here, everything here will try to kill you and we have EARTHQUAKES!!!!!! BIG ONES!! All the time. If your already here, leave quick and take the politicians with you to keep them safe. The few of us left will sacrifice ourselves to keep this place nice.

Oh...did I derail this thread...sorry. To the OP, don't eat the tent, you will be fine. :sunglasses:

Scott
and please, for the love of everything holy, do not come to Montana

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app