California Overland Trip advice needed

• HTML tutorial

ToplessSpyders

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

New Jersey
Member #

Hey guys, so I found myself able to do an impromptu trip to Cali. I have about 9 days there to explore the state, and I’m in the process of putting together a plan. If anyone has any tips or advice, it would be greatly appreciated. Pretty much open to anything anywhere in the state.

Yota-Rover

Rank 0

Traveler I

From what I’ve heard Prewitt ridge road in the ventana wilderness has a few good campsites. I’m planning to do a trip out there in a few weeks. IMG_0882.JPG

Here’s the Lat/long of one of the campsites on Prewitt ridge. 35.96884, -121.45248

Reactions: ToplessSpyders

dub_stackz

Rank III
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Vallejo, CA, USA
First Name
Weston
Last Name
Gossell
Member #

Service Branch
USAF Vet
You can try Indian Valley Reservoir, idk how it is after the fire but there were campsite on the dam side. We would stick to the other side, less people no actually campsites just places to set up camp. It’s also BLM land. IMG_6544.JPG

El Rojo

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Haha should have mentioned that I rented the truck from Pacific Overland. We just flew out from Alabama for a quick trip. Awesome guys to work with and top notch gear

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Hey guys, so I found myself able to do an impromptu trip to Cali. I have about 9 days there to explore the state, and I’m in the process of putting together a plan. If anyone has any tips or advice, it would be greatly appreciated. Pretty much open to anything anywhere in the state.
So, you didn't mention what part of California you want to visit? Big difference north to south.
Many suggestions here so far look like Northern California, but there's a lot to see down south here as well as working your way North, say Hwy 395...

And, I can add that Desert Season is just starting and it's fantastic!

Good luck and have fun out here.

Dan.

ToplessSpyders

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

New Jersey
Member #

So, you didn't mention what part of California you want to visit? Big difference north to south.
Many suggestions here so far look like Northern California, but there's a lot to see down south here as well as working your way North, say Hwy 395...

And, I can add that Desert Season is just starting and it's fantastic!

Good luck and have fun out here.

Dan.
I have 9 days, think I can get a lot done in that time. I’m really interested in doing rubicon trail, but my first time running with a roof top tent, and not sure how that’ll be. Would really like to do sequoia national park, Yosemite, Death Valley. But again, think I can get a lot done in 9 days. I’m in Irvine now, planning on shooting as far up north as I have to go by highway and then make my way back down here while catching as much as I can.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Are there fire restrictions for these areas?
Most of the forests we were in the last 2 weeks (up and down the 395) were under Stage 1 fire restrictions. Most of the Smokey the Bear signs we passed were showing Moderate with a few Very high. Best to check with each area the day or so before you arrive.

Sequoia NP
Sequoia NF

Yosemite NP
Death Valley NP

Boort

itsdchz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Clovis, CA
Member #

Big Bear area down south, Tehachapi moving north, there are amazing views of switchback/loops for the trains running through that area, from there you can either move up 395 to eastern sierra's- Whitney, Alabama Hills, Hollywood hills, Bristlecone forest, Bodie, Mono, then make it to Tioga pass, Tuolomne meadows, Yosemite, Sequoia and that area, then maybe make it to the coast, pismo, morro bay, Highway 1 to monterey... just a little bit of area to cover ;)

DividedSky

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

USA
Member #

Berdoo canyon into Joshua tree, burns canyon up to bigbear, down the back side to Johnson Valley, then up towards Mojave Road. That’s a good 4-5 days of sights.