Contributor III

Kelowna, BC, Canada
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Pearey
Member #

Hi,
Planning a trip for late Jan/Early Feb. will be starting up in Alberta, Canada. Looking to drive down through Montana, Utah and the. Your some places around California. So far planking on Mojave Desert Road, Joshua Tree National Park, Death Valley, Trona Pinnacles and Alabama Hills. Is there any other areas to consider between Salt Lake and LA during late Jan/Feb? Are any of the mentioned areas going to be an issue? Weather or access?

We have 5 and a half weeks. Would consider going over into Baja but only if we can find someone to travel with. Don’t fancy it on our own. Well I would but I doubt I could convince the Mrs.

Will be me, the mrs and our dog. 4 runner 5th Gen. roof tent.

Thank you in advance.

Wayne

Reactions: EBasil

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Last edited:
Reactions: SNO-RNR

beaky

Rank I

Contributor III

SoCal
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Hone
Hi,
Planning a trip for late Jan/Early Feb. will be starting up in Alberta, Canada. Looking to drive down through Montana, Utah and the. Your some places around California. So far planking on Mojave Desert Road, Joshua Tree National Park, Death Valley, Trona Pinnacles and Alabama Hills. Is there any other areas to consider between Salt Lake and LA during late Jan/Feb? Are any of the mentioned areas going to be an issue? Weather or access?

We have 5 and a half weeks. Would consider going over into Baja but only if we can find someone to travel with. Don’t fancy it on our own. Well I would but I doubt I could convince the Mrs.

Will be me, the mrs and our dog. 4 runner 5th Gen. roof tent.

Thank you in advance.

Wayne
Bring your bungy blanket, gonna be cold.

Norcalocal

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sacramento, ca
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Brodsky
You've identified the places that I typically plan for that time of year. Some others that aren't (as) freezing would include Kofa, & & Organ Pipe Nat'l Monument in Az. Other locations are the hot springs in Owens Valley & through Nevada (You can do some research to find them). Keep in mind, DV, JTNP, Mojave Trail are all in high desert, and regularly get below freezing almost every night in Jan/Feb. Alabama hills is pretty much closed, but you should be able to find a spot during winter mid week.

Reactions: EBasil

dpsmedic

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

NorCal
Member #

Hi,

Wayne
Might want to check out the Bureau of Land Management page for new camping restrictions in Alabama Hills

Robbie_395

Rank I

Contributor III

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Robbie
Last Name
Saunders
I suggest driving through the mammoth area to bishop on your way down to Joshua tree, there’s many places to camp along the way and a nice hot spring between mammoth and bishop on the 395 called wild Willy’s hot spring if you get there in the evening you can set up camp and head down to the springs.

Reactions: Advtres

Mtnmn99

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

You may want to think about exploring the Nevada Dessert while you are there. The olf mining towns and Ghost towns are easily accessed and have plenty of overlapping opportunities. Califorina mountain are typically snow bound that time of the year.

joe&taylor

Rank III

Influencer II

Hampton, NH, USA
First Name
Taylor
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Hey Wayne! I’m doing the same thing you are! My boyfriend, dog and I are traveling around SoCal & Nevada as well. Would be interested in a meet up if you are! We’re looking at doing the Mojave in the next few weeks if you’re around