Rank III

Enthusiast II

West Chester, OH
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Keefe
Member #

Hope you and your family stay safe and hopefully don’t lose your belongings. I have family in the area of some of the fires out west it’s scary. Stay safe.

Reactions: blackiestone

Squidhunter

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Chico, CA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Forbes
Member #

These fires seem to be getting worse each year. I guess I might have a little PTSD from loosing my house in the Camp Fire two years ago, but these fires make me really anxious for those people living in the effected areas.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

If anybody feels compelled, my cousin and his family lost their home: Adams Disaster Relief Fund organized by Malissa Hutchings

As for ash, yes it's all over my stuff too, which drives me a little crazy but obviously I have nothing to complain about vs. folks like my cousin. FWIW when the ash is dry, it won't cause damage. However, mixed with water it can cause etching, so you do't really want to rinse it down until the ash is no longer falling.

-TJ

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Have OB members ever done a supply rally for fire victims? There is a place to donate supplies in Santa Cruz, could gather supplies needed for victims and do a run down to donate? Just a thought.
I was just watching a live press conference with the SC County Sheriff. Man, it's been a tough year for them, the SC County Sheriff's Deputy that was murdered back in June was one of my best friends and it really hurt that community, now they have this going on. Anyway, they've asked that NOBODY try to come into the area. Many of the main roads in the SC mountains are small, and have now been reduced to less than a real lane. They need to keep everything as clear as possible for fire and emergency vehicles. In fact, they are arresting any people found in the area, particularly from out of town. They are also dealing with looting, so they will not be making any exceptions.

Obviously your hear is in the right place, but for now I think the best we can do is donate as we see fit, and once the fires are contained and actual clean-up and rebuilding efforts begin be there for those.

-TJ

Reactions: Outdoordog

GordyP

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
First Name
Gordon
Last Name
Pomp
I was just watching a live press conference with the SC County Sheriff. Man, it's been a tough year for them, the SC County Sheriff's Deputy that was murdered back in June was one of my best friends and it really hurt that community, now they have this going on. Anyway, they've asked that NOBODY try to come into the area. Many of the main roads in the SC mountains are small, and have now been reduced to less than a real lane. They need to keep everything as clear as possible for fire and emergency vehicles. In fact, they are arresting any people found in the area, particularly from out of town. They are also dealing with looting, so they will not be making any exceptions.

Obviously your hear is in the right place, but for now I think the best we can do is donate as we see fit, and once the fires are contained and actual clean-up and rebuilding efforts begin be there for those.

-TJ
Yeah I don’t want to get in anyone’s way. What I was getting at was once things are under control really. I did read an article saying they are looking for donations in the immediacy like canned goods, tents and sleeping bags to help shelter victims.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Yeah I don’t want to get in anyone’s way. What I was getting at was once things are under control really. I did read an article saying they are looking for donations in the immediacy like canned goods, tents and sleeping bags to help shelter victims.
Understood, sorry if my reply came off as combative. 100% they'll need goods like you mentioned, and I'd be all-about a donation drive/collection effort in the areas where it's safe to do so, then working with the right agencies to get it where it needs to be. Feel free to PM me, I'm ready to help (I have a pickup and 24' box trailer that could be used). Also, agreed these communities won't just need us now, they'll need us in a week, a month, six months as they try to pick up the pieces and rebuild.

-TJ

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

If anybody feels compelled, my cousin and his family lost their home: Adams Disaster Relief Fund organized by Malissa Hutchings

As for ash, yes it's all over my stuff too, which drives me a little crazy but obviously I have nothing to complain about vs. folks like my cousin. FWIW when the ash is dry, it won't cause damage. However, mixed with water it can cause etching, so you don't really want to rinse it down until the ash is no longer falling.

-TJ
Sorry to hear. Couldn't do much but did give what I could right now. Also waiting to see if my friend lost his house (but he is not living there, it is in escrow for a sale- his retirement hinges on it).

blackiestone

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Eureka, CA, USA
First Name
Laura
Last Name
Manzanilla
Member #

As for ash, yes it's all over my stuff too, which drives me a little crazy but obviously I have nothing to complain about vs. folks like my cousin. FWIW when the ash is dry, it won't cause damage. However, mixed with water it can cause etching, so you do't really want to rinse it down until the ash is no longer falling.

-TJ
Done and posted to facebook to add visibility. Every bit helps. Thanks for sharing the link.

Reactions: tjZ06 and M Rose

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Well, I am home now, my place is on the East side of Hwy 9 in Boulder Creek and so far the fire has not crossed 9. Neighborhood is still zoned "warning to evacuate" as opposed to evacuate. The CZU fire is still smoldering and frelling high temps this weekend 112F on Sunday, with calm winds, our saving grace! 925 homes destroyed. It could have been so much worse.....
Water supply is a big issue as 5 miles of plastic pipe was melted because the idiots laid it above ground and now the Water Company fears contamination and law suits from potential future cancer victims. All are awaiting test results.

Keep Calm and Carry On!
geneDSCF5613.JPG

DSCF5644.JPG

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Hate to leave things hangin, The water is now declared OK to drink/use. The sky has been unreal lately Spooky! I took a panarama the other day and here are 2 pics from my trail cam, notice the time on the trail cam, Soooo weird.

,Copyright.pngMFDC4583.JPGMFDC4589.JPG

• Wow
Reactions: Desert Runner