dchurch

Rank III

Advocate I

Oregon, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Church
Great, I feel much safer after watching that video and taking the quiz. I feel double safe knowing that everyone else that plans to camp in CA will be doing the same.

But, I'm confused. The video did not cover anything about the propane stove or MRI heater that I like to use. The permit allows me to use the equipment but I don't know how!

The regulation also states using "fire" for the purpose of "lighting" but the video did not cover how to use our candles. I'm worried about doing something wrong!

We have a long tradition of celebrating our daughter's birthday with a campout. I understand we need to clear 5 feet from the edge of our campfire.. but should I clear 5 feet around her or the cake?

Maybe future presentations will address my concerns. Thankfully all of these permits expire in two months. I can hardly wait to get my next one, and dozens for years to come:) How about you?

This is such a great idea. Hopefully other states will take note and come up with their own permit system. Then as we travel all over the US we can learn even more; like how a gas lantern or oil lamp fits into the equation, or why CA only requires 5 feet of clearing while Washington requires 8 feet.

I'll bet the agencies involved could do a lot more with this program if they simply collected a small fee for the permit. Maybe this could develop into something like the envasive aquatic species program.

It would be nice to have an annual permit sticker for our vehicles and some check points when entering public land and private property which is included when accompanied by "written permission of the land owner".

At least CA solved the risks of small engine spark arrestors. Hey, that's an idea_ electric campfires! Lithium could solve it. We need more lithium powered products. I'm sure we will be ready in time for the tsunami of spent batteries that is heading our way.

jmcgilroy

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Central California, CA, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Callahan
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6KAV
Great, I feel much safer after watching that video and taking the quiz. I feel double safe knowing that everyone else that plans to camp in CA will be doing the same.

But, I'm confused. The video did not cover anything about the propane stove or MRI heater that I like to use. The permit allows me to use the equipment but I don't know how!

The regulation also states using "fire" for the purpose of "lighting" but the video did not cover how to use our candles. I'm worried about doing something wrong!

We have a long tradition of celebrating our daughter's birthday with a campout. I understand we need to clear 5 feet from the edge of our campfire.. but should I clear 5 feet around her or the cake?

Maybe future presentations will address my concerns. Thankfully all of these permits expire in two months. I can hardly wait to get my next one, and dozens for years to come:) How about you?

This is such a great idea. Hopefully other states will take note and come up with their own permit system. Then as we travel all over the US we can learn even more; like how a gas lantern or oil lamp fits into the equation, or why CA only requires 5 feet of clearing while Washington requires 8 feet.

I'll bet the agencies involved could do a lot more with this program if they simply collected a small fee for the permit. Maybe this could develop into something like the envasive aquatic species program.

It would be nice to have an annual permit sticker for our vehicles and some check points when entering public land and private property which is included when accompanied by "written permission of the land owner".

At least CA solved the risks of small engine spark arrestors. Hey, that's an idea_ electric campfires! Lithium could solve it. We need more lithium powered products. I'm sure we will be ready in time for the tsunami of spent batteries that is heading our way.
OK...you had me going for a while and I thought I had this sarcasm thing down, right? Got a laugh out of it...thanks!

Reactions: dchurch and old_man

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Thanks for the reminder, each year I print out copies and put them in both of my trucks.

Though, I don't know how credible the video is. They are using a beat up old shovel instead of a DMOS or a murder fork, how are we supposed to take them seriously? :)

Builder III

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Augustine
Last Name
Wheelister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRVW409
Service Branch
Army
Thanks for the reminder, each year I print out copies and put them in both of my trucks.

Though, I don't know how credible the video is. They are using a beat up old shovel instead of a DMOS or a murder fork, how are we supposed to take them seriously? :)
I actually have been curious about the shovel, iirc the CalFire Guidance is a shovel at least 36" (maybe 40?) not sure any of the cool guy rack shovels meet that (pseudo-legal?) requirement.

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Interesting, I hadn't heard about any specifications for a shovel. I did a quick search and could only find something about a 46" round point shovel, but it sounds like that is for cases where someone is welding in the backcountry.

" In wildland areas, a permit may be required for grinding and
welding operations, and spark shields may be required on
equipment. Be sure to have 10 feet of clearance, a 46”round
point shovel, and a backpump water-type fire extinguisher
ready to use."

Reactions: HighVoltOverland

Builder III

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Augustine
Last Name
Wheelister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRVW409
Service Branch
Army
Interesting, I hadn't heard about any specifications for a shovel. I did a quick search and could only find something about a 46" round point shovel, but it sounds like that is for cases where someone is welding in the backcountry.

" In wildland areas, a permit may be required for grinding and
welding operations, and spark shields may be required on
equipment. Be sure to have 10 feet of clearance, a 46”round
point shovel, and a backpump water-type fire extinguisher
ready to use."
Found it:

Technically a requirement on all BLM land

“have on hand a functioning round-point shovel, with an overall length of at least 35 inches, that can be easily accessed within a reasonable amount of time in response to a fire ignition,”

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Found it:

Technically a requirement on all BLM land

“have on hand a functioning round-point shovel, with an overall length of at least 35 inches, that can be easily accessed within a reasonable amount of time in response to a fire ignition,”

Nice find, based on that the shovel I usually carry is not compliant.

Depending on how strict they are about "round-point" (probably not very strict) some of the popular big $$ overland shovels may not qualify. :)