Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Anyone have any experience with a dry filter CAI versus the oiled? Goal is to improve the fuel economy/efficiency of the rig, even if it's mild. But I don't want to sacrifice performance and longevity of the rig. I just have zero experience with this sort of upgrade. Looking at the aFe CAI w/ dry filter as a frame of reference.

Background on rig: '04 WJ w/ 4.7 v8. 2in OME HD lift. 235/70r16 tires for now. Newer O2 sensors. Freer flowing muffler. Newer fuel filter. Newer TPS. Retuned ECU for better MPG, newer plugs, tires at 40psi on paved road, full syn gear oil, Mobil1 syn oil, clean OEM air filter, Yakima roof basket, transmission serviced w/ new ATF and filters. Not sure what else I'm missing. Gets 16-17 mpg on average depending on wind direction/speed, and elevation change. I've seen around 18 mpg at times.

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I have always stuck with the dry for turboed vehicles and wet (oiled) for n/a vehicles. The nice about oiled is the ability to clean yourself. I have a k&n in my stock airbox but I do carry the factory paper filter with me as a spare for just in case.
If you want a cold air intake, I would do a lot of reaserch on what actually works and makes a difference on your motor. You would be surprised how many actually do not do anything at all but make sweet intake noises.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I have always stuck with the dry for turboed vehicles and wet (oiled) for n/a vehicles. The nice about oiled is the ability to clean yourself. I have a k&n in my stock airbox but I do carry the factory paper filter with me as a spare for just in case.
If you want a cold air intake, I would do a lot of reaserch on what actually works and makes a difference on your motor. You would be surprised how many actually do not do anything at all but make sweet intake noises.
My experience with CAI's was limited to Japanese cars we would supe up for racing. With this vehicle, it's all about better performance and economy. Hoping to squeeze a little more power out of the 4.7 and either maintain the MPG's or improve them (even slightly). The killer with taking long-distance trips in the rig is the fuel cost. The better half has a vehicle that averaged 23.1 on our trip to the Black Hills with 3 kids and loaded to the brim. that's 6-7mpg's better and the fuel cost would have been $200+ more in the Jeep I bet

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

My experience with CAI's was limited to Japanese cars we would supe up for racing. With this vehicle, it's all about better performance and economy. Hoping to squeeze a little more power out of the 4.7 and either maintain the MPG's or improve them (even slightly). The killer with taking long-distance trips in the rig is the fuel cost. The better half has a vehicle that averaged 23.1 on our trip to the Black Hills with 3 kids and loaded to the brim. that's 6-7mpg's better and the fuel cost would have been $200+ more in the Jeep I bet
Yeah my intake background comes from racing experience as well. My last truck I put an s&b full intake and honestly noticed not mpg difference. If there was it was minute. Unless you plan to tune your rig you will never really get the benefits from an intake anyways. Most modern cars are already running on the lean side of air fuel mix for emissions. Now while putting one one will not hurt your motor, without adding more fuel you will not really see any benefits. For me the stock intake box with say a k&n (or similar) drop in filter is best bang for the buck for most stock(ish) motors. They are better flowing, better filters and are re usable. You may notice a mpg change but no miracle 2-3 mpg gain. While they may be able to claim it in perfect testing situations, real world driving will prove typically that not be the case.

Redscorpion01

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Medford, NY
Member #

Anyone have any experience with a dry filter CAI versus the oiled? Goal is to improve the fuel economy/efficiency of the rig, even if it's mild. But I don't want to sacrifice performance and longevity of the rig. I just have zero experience with this sort of upgrade. Looking at the aFe CAI w/ dry filter as a frame of reference.

Background on rig: '04 WJ w/ 4.7 v8. 2in OME HD lift. 235/70r16 tires for now. Newer O2 sensors. Freer flowing muffler. Newer fuel filter. Newer TPS. Retuned ECU for better MPG, newer plugs, tires at 40psi on paved road, full syn gear oil, Mobil1 syn oil, clean OEM air filter, Yakima roof basket, transmission serviced w/ new ATF and filters. Not sure what else I'm missing. Gets 16-17 mpg on average depending on wind direction/speed, and elevation change. I've seen around 18 mpg at times.
From experience on an offroad rig I would stick to dry. Oiled filters will clog up faster on the offroad. Oiled filters are good for race cars, not much dust on the pavement.
So, on the offroad rig use dry filter, easy to clean and will take longer to clog on the dusty roads you will be driving on

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
You won’t get better fuel economy or performance from a CAI alone on a large majority of modern vehicles.