[CA] Amador High Country Routes Project (Pardoe Trail )

• HTML tutorial

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Overview
The Pardoe Trail in the El Dorado National Forest was closed in 2012 as part of the "42 Trails" lawsuit. While the lawsuit has luckily been resolved in our favor this trail and several others are still closed pending action by the forest service. This lawsuit is a good example of how trails can get closed and how long it can take to get them re-opened.

Here is the Eldorado National Forest's webpage for the 42 Routes Project. It lists the trails that have been re-opened, projects still in the works, and a history of the closures.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/eldorado/home/?cid=stelprdb5362046

And the information specific to the Pardoe Trail which is referred to as the "Amador High Country Routes Project" by the EDNF since it is made up of multiple trails.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/project/?project=47470

This trail has a moderate difficulty rating and provides access to beautiful areas in the High Sierras. Parts of the trail overlap with historical emigrant trails, and there are several options for routes into and out of the trail system.

http://4x4trailmaps.com/4x4Trails.php?Trail_ID=3

Current Status
The proposed action to re-open the trail was submitted in 2015 and was approved in January of 2017. As a note, the only parts of the trail at issue are where it crosses meadows and work is required to harden these crossings to prevent damage. Originally the EDNF planned to make the necessary repairs in the summery of 2017, but as of July 2017 the EDNF had not yet received the funding and instead planned to perform most of the work in the summer of 2018. The EDNF has been very responsive to my past emails about the status of this trail, and later this spring I plan to contact them for an update.

What can we do?
1) Write polite emails to the EDNF asking about the status of this trail and expressing community support for re-opening it as soon as possible.
2) Volunteer for work parties that may take place on the trail this summer.

A word about meadows
The 42 Trails lawsuit was specifically focused on the routes' effect on meadows. Open meadows are fairly rare in the high sierras, and because they are a critical part of the ecosystem there is a lot of focus on them by environmental groups. As users of these routes we need to be especially careful around meadows and never drive into them or cause any other kind of resource damage. In some cases trails have river crossings through meadows, and in those cases it is very important to always stay on the trail and to keep your speed down to avoid eroding the banks.

v_man

Rank IV

Advocate I

Redwood City
Thanks as well. I remember when Deer Valley trail off hwy. 4 was closed for about five years because of the 42 routes issue. Hard work by volunteers to shore up and redirect a stream crossing got the trail opened again this past fall.

I'd be interested in helping get this trail open as well. Maybe an organized trip up there for trail work?

Reactions: Road

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Thanks for sharing, Any current dates for work parties?
I haven't heard of any planned work dates at this time. In the next month or two I'll email the EDNF again for an update and will share what I learn here. I'm glad to hear that people are interested in helping to get this trail re-opened.

Last edited:
Reactions: Road

Del Albright

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mokelumne Hill, CA
Member #

(CA) Both Pardoe and Deer Valley are spear-headed and adtoped (or co-adopted) by the Mother Lode Rockcrawlers 4WD Club of Jackson, CA. Do not let the name fool you -- they are more moderate jeepers and RV campers; and not so much rockcrawling these days. But they work hard on both these trails and have cleanups and opening work parties as appropriate.
You can volunteer with them and learn more at: https://www.motherloderockcrawlers.com/
and most of the work on these trails is also supervised or helped by the state association, the Calif. 4Wheel Drive Association, www.cal4wheel.com
Del