Charleston, WV, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Dodd
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8MGA
I've had a steel front bumper on my wish list for the 4Runner, but I had never thought much about a rear bumper... until I was rear ended this morning. It was a low speed collision and no one was hurt. The other driver admitted fault AND had insurance (not a given in my area). Rather than having a new plastic bumper installed, I'm considering paying the difference and getting a steel bumper. I will talk to an estimator tomorrow to find out how much they are paying for the factory replacement. I'm thinking it could be $800-$1,000 but that is a total guesstimate by me. That would go a long way toward making a rear steel bumper more reasonable. My off-roading adventures are mild terrain so I think the added expense of swing outs are not worth it for my use and honestly more of a hinderance day to day. If I ever get into longer and bigger Overlanding trips in the future, I may get a different bumper at that time.

My first question is on C4 Fabrication. I've read a number of these fab shops are so bogged down the delivery dates go way past estimates. Since I'm driving around with a damaged vehicle, I do not want to do so indefinitely. C4 quoted me 12 weeks which is about the longest I can justify waiting. Are they generally pretty good with their estimates? Also does anyone have a picture of a C4 Fab rear bumper without swing outs? I see plenty of photos with them, but very few without.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

I've had a steel front bumper on my wish list for the 4Runner, but I had never thought much about a rear bumper... until I was rear ended this morning. It was a low speed collision and no one was hurt. The other driver admitted fault AND had insurance (not a given in my area). Rather than having a new plastic bumper installed, I'm considering paying the difference and getting a steel bumper. I will talk to an estimator tomorrow to find out how much they are paying for the factory replacement. I'm thinking it could be $800-$1,000 but that is a total guesstimate by me. That would go a long way toward making a rear steel bumper more reasonable. My off-roading adventures are mild terrain so I think the added expense of swing outs are not worth it for my use and honestly more of a hinderance day to day. If I ever get into longer and bigger Overlanding trips in the future, I may get a different bumper at that time.

My first question is on C4 Fabrication. I've read a number of these fab shops are so bogged down the delivery dates go way past estimates. Since I'm driving around with a damaged vehicle, I do not want to do so indefinitely. C4 quoted me 12 weeks which is about the longest I can justify waiting. Are they generally pretty good with their estimates? Also does anyone have a picture of a C4 Fab rear bumper without swing outs? I see plenty of photos with them, but very few without.
Iv'e got no actual experience with C4 but I have recently done business with CBI (Prinsu roof rack) and Rago Fabrication. CBI beat their deadline and Rago was a few weeks behind. Rago did tell me they were behind when I called to be fair. My experience is most fab shops beat or make their deadline. Of course your mileage may vary as we have all heard the horror stories from Gobi and such. My advice is to call them and actually talk to a person and go from there.

Reactions: carb850