BW Crown King in a stock Rig

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast III

Chandler, AZ
First Name
Jake
Last Name
McCurdy
Has anyone been up the back way to Crown King in AZ latley? I’m thinking of taking my stock GX460. I know there are a lot of bypasses of the toughter approaches but from the videos I’ve seen it looks like there are a couple sections that can’t be bypassed and might be a bit tougher in a stock truck. I’d love some advise/insight from someone who has done it in a stock truck.

I’d like to make another video like this : )
Sorry if this isn’t the right place for this, I didn’t see a trails discussion area and there’s just not much activity in the SW region threads. I thought this might work here because it’s such a well known trail.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

No, but it's on my list hopefully for next weekend. I'm not sure I'd do it in a stock GX without some sort of skids and rocker protection unless you're really good at picking lines and know your truck well... there's some narrow sections you can't bypass that have large rocks lining the side looking to bite into a rocker.

Enthusiast III

Chandler, AZ
First Name
Jake
Last Name
McCurdy
Wow, gotta give the guy with the GX in that vid credit, he didn't back down.

-TJ
Thanks! It's usually more determined ignorance than bravado with me but I'll take it.

I'm starting to rethink Back Way to Crown King though. After watching a couple more videos I don't think I'd have a chance. I could probably squeak it through be stacking some stones to get around my clearance issues but since I don't have sliders, not sure I'd be able to open the doors by the time I got to the top : ) I'm thinking Schnebly Hill rd. in Sedona might be a safer bet.

Enthusiast III

Chandler, AZ
First Name
Jake
Last Name
McCurdy
No, but it's on my list hopefully for next weekend. I'm not sure I'd do it in a stock GX without some sort of skids and rocker protection unless you're really good at picking lines and know your truck well... there's some narrow sections you can't bypass that have large rocks lining the side looking to bite into a rocker.
Yeah, I watched a couple more YT videos and I see what you mean. I'd love to know your thoughts if you run it next weekend. We may try Schnebly hill road instead this weekend but I'm not sure that's all that challenging even for a stock GX.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Yeah, I watched a couple more YT videos and I see what you mean. I'd love to know your thoughts if you run it next weekend. We may try Schnebly hill road instead this weekend but I'm not sure that's all that challenging even for a stock GX.
Schnebly is a must-do trail because the views are gorgeous but it's passable in a stock Crosstrek if you can pick a line over the larger rocky sections. I'll check back in if I actually get up there next weekend... it's pending me getting my lift installed this week because with my wheelbase and gear weighing down the stock suspension, there's some parts that would be a little sketch.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Thanks! It's usually more determined ignorance than bravado with me but I'll take it.

I'm starting to rethink Back Way to Crown King though. After watching a couple more videos I don't think I'd have a chance. I could probably squeak it through be stacking some stones to get around my clearance issues but since I don't have sliders, not sure I'd be able to open the doors by the time I got to the top : ) I'm thinking Schnebly Hill rd. in Sedona might be a safer bet.
Hah, totally didn't realize that was your vid. Nice work! Anyway, I'm not familiar with BWCK myself (CA guy here) so I can't say if I'd try it... but it definitely seems like you enjoy the tougher, challenging trails. I imagine sliders, skids and a mild lift are planned "someday"?

-TJ

Enthusiast III

Chandler, AZ
First Name
Jake
Last Name
McCurdy
Hah, totally didn't realize that was your vid. Nice work! Anyway, I'm not familiar with BWCK myself (CA guy here) so I can't say if I'd try it... but it definitely seems like you enjoy the tougher, challenging trails. I imagine sliders, skids and a mild lift are planned "someday"?

-TJ
Yeah, I'd like to do an inch or two in the front and maybe a 1/2" in back but nothing crazy. Black truck, black interior, PHX = Must be garage height (with roof platform). Sliders for sure but I want to do a few more challenging trails stock first.

Enthusiast III

Chandler, AZ
First Name
Jake
Last Name
McCurdy
I'm moving to Prescott on the 7th. I will be out running trails every weekend. We should put a run together.
Wholly shirt. Your teardrop build looks awesome and your work on the XJ(s) is amazing. looks like you were hanging out with Matt's Off-road recovery when you built it : ) I'd love to run a trail and get a walk around of your set-up.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Has anyone been up the back way to Crown King in AZ latley? I’m thinking of taking my stock GX460. I know there are a lot of bypasses of the toughter approaches but from the videos I’ve seen it looks like there are a couple sections that can’t be bypassed and might be a bit tougher in a stock truck. I’d love some advise/insight from someone who has done it in a stock truck.

I’d like to make another video like this : )
Sorry if this isn’t the right place for this, I didn’t see a trails discussion area and there’s just not much activity in the SW region threads. I thought this might work here because it’s such a well known trail.
Can't help you on your original question, but I am really enjoying your camping cocktails video.

Enthusiast III

Chandler, AZ
First Name
Jake
Last Name
McCurdy
[/QUOTE]
Can't help you on your original question, but I am really enjoying your camping cocktails video.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! That one didn’t do that well for some reason but it sure was fun drinking it... I mean making it : )

• Haha
Reactions: Sparksalot

Things

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Prescott Arizona
First Name
jeff
Last Name
mcallister
Member #

Just did it last week, not so bad. Trail Recon did a video on it and was released a few days ago. We took most of the obstacles. Takes alot longer and its dusty in a 13 rig convoy. Nice camping at the top junction.