Jeep Jumper

Rank I

Contributor III

Greenville, South Carolina
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
West
I'm looking to buy a fully built out Tacoma with 250k. Am I stupid for buying a vehicle with that many miles? and am I overpaying? This would be my first overlander--I'm just trying to get into it.

Here is what the seller said about it--haven't see yet. I'm looking at it on Saturday

$14,000
250k miles
Purchased about two years ago factory and added:
  • Coastal Off-road front and rear high clearance bumpers (rear bumper has extra tire mount + dual jerry can holder)
  • OME rear lift shackles
  • New leaf springs with bushings Bilstein 5100s in the rear Bilstein 6112s in the front with
  • Total Chaos UCAs New lower ball joints less than 5k miles on them
  • Rock sliders
  • Differential Drop Kit
  • Prinsu Roof rack and do have the top rack just haven’t installed on the cap (no I will not part the cap)
  • New Front and Rear Brakes,
  • rotors, drums, and pads
  • All belts changed less than 10k miles
  • New plugs
  • eBay snorkel
  • K&N drop in filter
  • Has the factory E locker.
  • Probably more I’m missing.

The only thing this is missing is a RTT. I would sell the bed camper and replace with a tent.

Thank you in advance for any advice!

D

Deleted member 14476

I'm looking to buy a fully built out Tacoma with 250k. Am I stupid for buying a vehicle with that many miles? and am I overpaying? This would be my first overlander--I'm just trying to get into it.

Here is what the seller said about it--haven't see yet. I'm looking at it on Saturday

$14,000
250k miles
Purchased about two years ago factory and added:
  • Coastal Off-road front and rear high clearance bumpers (rear bumper has extra tire mount + dual jerry can holder)
  • OME rear lift shackles
  • New leaf springs with bushings Bilstein 5100s in the rear Bilstein 6112s in the front with
  • Total Chaos UCAs New lower ball joints less than 5k miles on them
  • Rock sliders
  • Differential Drop Kit
  • Prinsu Roof rack and do have the top rack just haven’t installed on the cap (no I will not part the cap)
  • New Front and Rear Brakes,
  • rotors, drums, and pads
  • All belts changed less than 10k miles
  • New plugs
  • eBay snorkel
  • K&N drop in filter
  • Has the factory E locker.
  • Probably more I’m missing.

The only thing this is missing is a RTT. I would sell the bed camper and replace with a tent.

Thank you in advance for any advice!
What year? What trim? Any pictures?

Jeep Jumper

Rank I

Contributor III

First Name
Andrew
Last Name
West
FYI, he might be negotiable--not sure how much. Do you think this should be a hard pass or could I negotiate this down to an appropriate price given the miles?

Thank you so much for your advice. As you can tell, I'm very new to all this!

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
Am I stupid for buying a vehicle with that many miles? and am I overpaying? This would be my first overlander--I'm just trying to get into it.
I bought my '99 Land Cruiser with 245k miles. It now has 354k miles. I enjoy working on vehicles so replacing wear parts is no problem. If you are not a DIY mechanic, or do not have the ambition to become one, do not even consider looking at a high mileage vehicle. No matter the make, stuff just starts to wear out and break down over time/miles. Stay on top of the maintenance and a high mileage vehicle can be very reliable and suited for overland adventures.

Do your research on that generation of Tacoma and plan to inspect any common/known issues when you look at the truck in person. I am not a Tacoma person, but that truck looks pretty clean. The parts look new, so I would question why it is for sale so soon after the build. The price is high, but ALL used vehicle prices are high today.

Are those Overland Bound emblems on the doors and sticker on the cap? Maybe the builder has a build thread here.

Jeep Jumper

Rank I

Contributor III

First Name
Andrew
Last Name
West
I bought my '99 Land Cruiser with 245k miles. It now has 354k miles. I enjoy working on vehicles so replacing wear parts is no problem. If you are not a DIY mechanic, or do not have the ambition to become one, do not even consider looking at a high mileage vehicle. No matter the make, stuff just starts to wear out and break down over time/miles. Stay on top of the maintenance and a high mileage vehicle can be very reliable and suited for overland adventures.

Do your research on that generation of Tacoma and plan to inspect any common/known issues when you look at the truck in person. I am not a Tacoma person, but that truck looks pretty clean. The parts look new, so I would question why it is for sale so soon after the build. The price is high, but ALL used vehicle prices are high today.

Are those Overland Bound emblems on the doors and sticker on the cap? Maybe the builder has a build thread here.
They look like OB Badges (can't wait till I'm worthy of an OB Membership). I'll get his number when I look at the truck and see if there is a build thread.

His reason for selling is to focus on a new project.

I'm not a mechanic but would really like to learn--I work in an office and I'm trying to find a good masculine hobby :) A mechanic friend is going down to look at it with me.

Thanks for that input--My neighbor found the vehicle and seems to think it has potential but you're right, high mileage vehicles will always need some TLC. He has a '92 Landy that runs perfectly (he's an OB member). His brother has an '03 taco with 350k on it....it too runs really well.

I feel like it is expenses compared to other vehicles on the market (not necessarily Tacos). Those things always seem to be so expenses yet I hear of people who pick them up for half the cost I'm looking at....not sure where they find them.

Again, thanks so much for your input!

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

My guess is they added all the gear and goodies and found out how slow and horrible the mpgs are with that 3.4 and now selling ? Don’t get me wrong it’s a fantastic motor but once you get some weight on them they are complete dogs . Probably be looking into the cost of a re gear on top of that purchase price .

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

With that rust, hell no. Pics aren't great but it's clearly bad around the coil bucket (high stress area) and that rear frame section looks like it's been painted over.

Sam the Viking

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Mount Gilead, NC, USA
First Name
Sam
Last Name
McKay
Member #

My old 2005 Tacoma had >524,000 miles before the head gasket finally let go...granted that was the 2nd gen and 4.0 liter engine. The Tacoma platform is known to be extremely reliable.
That said, what are your goals? Is this also a daily driver? Do you enjoy working on vehicles? - Some folks think that building it out yourself is half the fun... And it might be a cheaper option to start a little newer and stock, and then build up as you need it. A stock 2nd gen Sport-TRD or Off Road-TRD trimmed Tacoma is already pretty capapble.
With the used car market the way it is currently, I don't think it's overpriced, especially with all the overland upgrades you are getting.