Buying a rig from OTHER than the rust-belt...where would you go?

• HTML tutorial

Andy G

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cannonsburg, MI
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Grow
Member #

In the next 12-18 months I'll be in the market for a newer model rig, and am already looking at a 4Runner or Tacoma as my platform to begin with.

I don't wanna buy new, and if you've ever been here to Michigan, even vehicles just a few years old already show signs of cancer.

I'll have enough frequent flier miles by then for a one-way flight for myself and my 15 year old son to "fly and drive" back here to Michigan.

I'm thinking the Southwest is a good place to look...but am wondering what other suggestions you have. Mainly looking for places that don't use salt on their roads during the winter!

Thanks much!
Andy

Dakeg218

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Charlotte, NC
Member #

I bought mine in Texas and not just because I lived there at the time. Any state in the southwest will have generally rust free cars, but not all have he same inspection regiments. New Mexico, for example, does not require emissions testing in most counties and the ones that do only require it every 2 years. Oklahoma and Arkansas do not require a safety or emissions inspection of any kind. If you bring it back home from one of these states you may be in for some unplanned expenses just getting the vehicle to pass inspection. Texas and California have pretty strict annual inspection and emissions requirements so you can be reasonably sure that if it has a current inspection you won’t find any surprises.

Reactions: Andy G

Andy G

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cannonsburg, MI
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Grow
Member #

I bought mine in Texas and not just because I lived there at the time. Any state in the southwest will have generally rust free cars, but not all have he same inspection regiments. New Mexico, for example, does not require emissions testing in most counties and the ones that do only require it every 2 years. Oklahoma and Arkansas do not require a safety or emissions inspection of any kind. If you bring it back home from one of these states you may be in for some unplanned expenses just getting the vehicle to pass inspection. Texas and California have pretty strict annual inspection and emissions requirements so you can be reasonably sure that if it has a current inspection you won’t find any surprises.
No inspection at all here in Michigan! Thanks for the info though, that’s all good to know!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Dana

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

Out here in Reno NV the humidity is very low and very little rain/snow. I don’t think they have used salt on the roads in many years. I saw an FJ Cruiser for sale the other day. I know not a Tacoma or 4Runner but....
Anyway, good luck!!! I have a 98 Jeep Wrangler that has spent most of its life out this way even a few winters in Tahoe. It’s basically rust free other than the spot I took a larger rock on the hood.

Andy G

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cannonsburg, MI
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Grow
Member #

Thanks for the replies. Thinking of maybe fall of next year making it happen...side trip to Death Valley...then road trip back to Michigan!

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
You can't go wrong with an Arizona vehicle. No hail, floods, snow, road salt and they have emissions check every couple of years. Plus, they have older model vehicles as clean as the newer ones...

JLangsdorf

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

I live in NW NV. Found a great deal on a 2012 Tacoma in Idaho. Use autotempest website to get a wide search area.

I grew up in MN so understand the rust belt. Have lived in the West most of my life. Finding a good value anywhere west of Nebraska will get you a rust free truck.

Merlin2111

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bellevue
Member #

Make sure you look at the trucks history. I bought my GX from a dealer in Witchita who had just got it from an auction in Texas so it had never even seen a winter in Witchita and since I was flying out to get it I was even more confident that it was the right rig for me.