Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Arizona, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Devereaux
Member #

Don't know if I want to buy a new Tacoma TRD or buy a used Range Rover type vehicle(under 200,000 miles around $1500. - $2000.) and do a build?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using OB Talk mobile app

thomas255

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Arizona, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Devereaux
Member #

I'd combine those 2 ideas and buy a used Tacoma. Best of both worlds. Could probably find one already somewhat set up.
Hey Phil, thanks for the feedback. Yep looking at all my options. Seems like a lot of private Tacoma sales are asking a high price for high mileage (200,000-300,000) ranging from $4000-5000.. I mention the Range Rover because the owner listed a 2004 with 134,000 witch so far looks like a good deal.

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

If you are limiting your budget to 2k I would suggest looking outside the box. Look at other vehicles that can be capable when done but may be over looked. With a low budget build do not limit yourself to much. I have done many budget builds in my past (none for over landing) and have been shocked sometimes at what we ended up with. Know what are must haves vehicle wise and start there.

Hope this can help

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using OB Talk mobile app

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Look at something like an Isuzu Trooper or Mitsubishi Montero. As much as I like the LR's I would rather spend the same money on a vehicle as capable or more with that same body style - Trooper. The biggest difference is solid axles front & rear on the LR. Parts are much cheaper and they are more reliable than the LR/RR.

Reactions: Webb and thomas255

Gothere

Rank 0

Traveler I

Alabama
I'm assuming you are limiting yourself to a down payment of $2,000 to $3,000 or a bought out vehicle for that same price. I don't understand your thought process or situation here. Either a $28,000 (this is the least you can spend on a Tacoma 4x4) brand new vehicle (not including haggling down on the price) or a sub $2,000 vehicle. Then you have to have money after that to spend on modifications. If you're considering a new vehicle, especially a Toyota, go with it, the headaches of a used vehicle are worth avoiding if you can. Just my thoughts on the matter.

thomas255

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Arizona, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Devereaux
Member #

Hey Gothere, thanks for the response. I'm not limited to a budget, I'm just weighing different options on buying a stock Tacoma TRD, VS buying used, dropping it off at a shop and haveing it rebuilt to my specks. I do appreciate the feedbacks I'm getting, there's always some good info. in them.
I'm assuming you are limiting yourself to a down payment of $2,000 to $3,000 or a bought out vehicle for that same price. I don't understand your thought process or situation here. Either a $28,000 (this is the least you can spend on a Tacoma 4x4) brand new vehicle (not including haggling down on the price) or a sub $2,000 vehicle. Then you have to have money after that to spend on modifications. If you're considering a new vehicle, especially a Toyota, go with it, the headaches of a used vehicle are worth avoiding if you can. Just my thoughts on the matter.
Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Phildirt

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gothere I was thinking he was looking at total cost of ownership (new vehicle & insurance = older vehicle plus mods/repairs). I think if you plan on heavily modifying you'll almost always come out ahead used. But then I'm one of those guys that can't understand why people buy new at all, it's a very poor financial investment.

thomas255

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Arizona, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Devereaux
Member #

Gothere I was thinking he was looking at total cost of ownership (new vehicle & insurance = older vehicle plus mods/repairs). I think if you plan on heavily modifying you'll almost always come out ahead used. But then I'm one of those guys that can't understand why people buy new at all, it's a very poor financial investment.
Hey Phil, you're tracking me. I've been doing some research on doing an overland build for about a month now so I'm basically just starting out. You hit the nail on the head about buying new. I walked into a Toyota dealership in Salt Lake City and the salesman wanted to charge me $57,000.(after financing for 72 months) for a $35,000 truck. I didn't even try to negotiate with him, I just walked out.

Reactions: Mekcanix

Gothere

Rank 0

Traveler I

Alabama
I understand you now. I'd look at other dealerships and be willing to fly out to them to make the purchase. try places where they are a big dealership for the Tacoma.

For example my Ford dealership in town generally has the best prices on F-150s because they have around 100 in stock and they sell more F-150s than other Fords. So they price them in a way they sell a ton, rather than make a bunch per truck.

I still recommend the new vehicle route.

Reactions: thomas255

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

Question - if you buy new and then do a bunch of mods ie suspension, big tires, rack and RTT and more, can the manufacturer void drive line warranties do to these mods?

Also I cannot understand putting $$$$ into a vehicle a bank owns - just me. Personal to me "you" do not own a vehicle until you have the pink slip (title) at home with you and said vehicle.

So I always go used pay it off and then mod it.

Reactions: thomas255

thomas255

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Arizona, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Devereaux
Member #

Question - if you buy new and then do a bunch of mods ie suspension, big tires, rack and RTT and more, can the manufacturer void drive line warranties do to these mods?

Also I cannot understand putting $$$$ into a vehicle a bank owns - just me. Personal to me "you" do not own a vehicle until you have the pink slip (title) at home with you and said vehicle.

So I always go used pay it off and then mod it.
Hey Daryl. Yeah, good question on the warranty thing, what mods affect warranties. I guess the best thing to do is call the manufacturers customer service for that info.

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

Thomas,
A week-ago Sat, the Mrs & I drove a clean > 20K 2016 Tacoma Double Cab, Short Bed, TRD Offroad. He traded it in for a 2018 Tundra. The dealer wanted 31K for it. When we looked at the 2018 "new" ones on the lot, with the deals, we could buy a new one at about the same price as the 2016 we test drove.
Long story short, after a 2nd visit to the dealership, we put down a couple K$, to have a new Super White, Double Cab, Short Cab, TRD Offroad shipped into inventory. On Saturday we went into to finish the paperwork, trade in, and the Mrs has a new daily driver. The 2006 Forester went bye-bye, and I get the 1988 62 Series LandCrusier back. It's the last "new" vehicle we purchased.

In my personal opinion, please "NO Trolls" - don't waste your build dollars on a Range Rover... Between the oil leaks, gaskets issues, no Fuel Injection, etc. Just Don't... What you really need to decide - Build clean with no issues, -or- buy used and build, with unknown issues.
Just my two cents. David

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Yes, warranties are set up in a way to make any modifications a deal breaker. I installed a AirRaid cold air intake on my Duramax and I took the truck in for a water pump leak/replacement under warranty. They told me that my warranty was void and it would be out of pocket due to the fact that I modified the engine. I had an unlimited mileage warranty $6k and the truck had 352k on it when I took it in - so they were looking for any way possible to get out of the warranty deal.

thomas255

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Arizona, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Devereaux
Member #

You know, my brother had a Mitsubishi truck, it was a tank, you couldn't brake it.
Look at something like an Isuzu Trooper or Mitsubishi Montero. As much as I like the LR's I would rather spend the same money on a vehicle as capable or more with that same body style - Trooper. The biggest difference is solid axles front & rear on the LR. Parts are much cheaper and they are more reliable than the LR/RR.

Reactions: Daryl 32

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

Don't know if I want to buy a new Tacoma TRD or buy a used Range Rover type vehicle(under 200,000 miles around $1500. - $2000.) and do a build?

Thomas,

Here is a 100 Series LandCruiser, 2007 at 103K miles, on a Dealer lot, here in Boise. Would give you a solid base for your build. https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-2007-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-c5260#listing=213650255
Let me know if you want eyes on it...
David

Reactions: Chadlyb

gregsw

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Seattle
I bought a TRD Pro 4 Runner brand new, and a year later sold it.

There were a few reasons for this decision.
1. Any upgrade parts are real expensive...
2. I felt terrible taking it on trails, always worried about scratches etc...

In the end I bought a real nice used rig, did a nice build and still have money left over.
Just my opinion, hope that helps.

Greg

Reactions: Graeman and Chadlyb

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

I bought a TRD Pro 4 Runner brand new, and a year later sold it.

There were a few reasons for this decision.
1. Any upgrade parts are real expensive...
2. I felt terrible taking it on trails, always worried about scratches etc...

In the end I bought a real nice used rig, did a nice build and still have money left over.
Just my opinion, hope that helps.

Greg
Great advice.....I agree with this also because it's exactly what I did when I went and bought The Black Pearl, my 2011 Trd Tacoma. No intentions of dumping all my money into a new rig to be killed by payments and no build money. Also way easier to cut and modify something that has character already rather than something without a scratch on it. Just my thoughts on this...

Reactions: Graeman