Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

I have a coleman 2 burner propane stove I have been traveling with for years but am starting to do more off-grid stuff vs. campgrounds. So I am looking at getting a single burner butane stove for a smaller footprint, self contained unit. I know very little about the butane single burners other than they look nice and compact. I typically do nothing more than boil water for coffee, to cook hotdogs, or am making canned soup or chili or frying up some spam and rice.

About the only thing I know is Butane won't fire up below freezing. This is a major rarity for me so not worried.

What else do I need to know? My main concerns are on transporting. Can I travel with the butane canister in the stove? Do I need to keep the butane canisters upright? etc.?

A Duffield

Rank VI

Advocate I

Folsom, Sacramento County, California, United States
First Name
Anne
Last Name
Duffield
Member #

Butane does not do well at altitude. We got a one burner stove on Amazon that has an adapter for propane, so I can use either. I generally would not keep butane stored/connected in the stove for safety reasons, but it does not need to be upright. So if it can be in the stove, but not connected that should be ok.

Reactions: Boort and Nickel

Nickel

Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Butane does not do well at altitude. We got a one burner stove on Amazon that has an adapter for propane, so I can use either. I generally would not keep butane stored/connected in the stove for safety reasons, but it does not need to be upright. So if it can be in the stove, but not connected that should be ok.
Thank you was not aware of the altitude issue. I may not camp near freezing but I do go to altitudes.

Reactions: MiamiC70

Nickel

Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

i bought this 3-4 yrs ago and really like it. small and puts out some good BTUs and uses both fuels. i prefer propane, but it will take both
ive fried many a can of SPAM using this...

Thanks. I am looking at the 3900 version of this. Looks like the key differences are the 3900 has wind shields around the outter 4 corners and people say it works well, the burner is brass, and of course about $25 more.

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
We have an Iwatani 35FW Butane stove and have used it up to 16,000 ft. We regularly camped over 14,000ft and our little stove always operated. We also spent a lot of time at and below freezing but we never let the inside temperature of our van get below freezing. It's possible that the canisters we were purchasing in S.A. were mixed and not pure butane, we know our propane refills were mixed. That particular Iwatani stove has great flame control so if you need to simmer, pressure cook, sear...it will do it all. For mostly just boiling water we recommend a cheaper one. We also traveled with the canisters in all kinds of positions, mostly on their side in a catch all bin that is too short for them to be upright. We do not keep one connected in the stove but we do keep one upside down in it since our stove has a fair amount of extra room in the canister slot. As for extreme heat, we shipped our van twice with butane canisters in it without issue. We don't want to encourage someone to do the same but the canisters are shipped all over the world in shipping containers, as are most things.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
We switched to a single butane/propane stove a couple of years ago and it works fine. One issue we have found is the lack of Butane in stores, so when we find it we buy extra.

Nickel

Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

We switched to a single butane/propane stove a couple of years ago and it works fine. One issue we have found is the lack of Butane in stores, so when we find it we buy extra.
LOL I am learning that! Was online yesterday and learned my options are limited:

• Amazon will not ship to my address
  • REI no longer carries them and shipping to my local store for pickup is also not an option
  • Big 5 Sporting goods has a generic brand but is in stock
  • Home Depot I can ship to store the Gas One cannisters but 8 pack is minimum
  • Walmart has them locally, I believe the Coleman branded cannisters
I am probably going to get 4 from Walmart.

I bring along a 5 pound propane tank for my propane firepit. It is fine for 3-5 days if I am careful with the night time firepit use and keep it at 50% or less. I have a few green propane canisters that I think I will use up on the Gas One stove before switching over to the butane cannisters to use after the green bottles are depleted. I am not a fan of the waste but seriously one green 1 pounder of propane lasts me 8-10 days of camping easy. That is how frugal I am on the cooking, they are all quick 5 to 10 minute cooks. 8-10 days of camping is about what I do in a year, although I would like to start doing more.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
I tried a GasOne GS-800 butane stove back in 2017. My goal was to replace my bulky Coleman suitcase stove with the small single burner butane stove.

Needless to say, I was disappointed when I performed the driveway test. The dang thing would NOT boil a pot of water. I tried both butane and propane (using the included adapter hose) with no success. Do these stoves need adjusted to be useful or did I just happen to get a lemon? I still have the GasOne stove in a box (since I wasn't able to return it once fuel was put in it) and would love to make it work if possible.

Nickel

Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

I tried a GasOne GS-800 butane stove back in 2017. My goal was to replace my bulky Coleman suitcase stove with the small single burner butane stove.

Needless to say, I was disappointed when I performed the driveway test. The dang thing would NOT boil a pot of water. I tried both butane and propane (using the included adapter hose) with no success. Do these stoves need adjusted to be useful or did I just happen to get a lemon? I still have the GasOne stove in a box (since I wasn't able to return it once fuel was put in it) and would love to make it work if possible.
Mine arrived yesterday. I am going to do my test this weekend, will let you know how it goes.

Only things I can think of are:
  • The BTU difference. The GS-800 is listed at about 7500 BTU. The coleman's are 10,000 per burner. So basically 33% more heat on the Coleman.
  • The coleman has the windshields on 3 sides. The Butane single burners are exposed. The 3900 that I bought has some wind protection built in, but I did buy one of those fold up screens in case I am in a windy area.

CLARO86

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Central PA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
LaRoche
Service Branch
USN vet
I have a GasOne 15,000 btu butane/propane single burner and have been really impressed with it so far. This thing will boil a liter of water in a pot in about 1 minute. So far I have only used butane in it, but will try out the propane and adapter next outing. So far the only issue is making sure you dont turn it down too low that it goes out, but low enough not to burn something cooking up in a frying pan. I have been using some GSI aluminum pans/pots and they heat up ridiculously fast.

Also I got a 12 pack of butane canisters on amazon for about $24. I can get about 3+ days of use from one can, with boiling water for noodles/coffee, and cooking up a few quick skillet meals. So cost wise not too bad. I always have about 3-4 with me and so far never used more than 2 on a trip.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Pepsi can stove.

Less than a pound with 2 days worth of fuel.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
as to the butane vs propane comparison...all i can see is that butane is a tad cleaner burning and good ole google reports that butane is 12% more efficient than propane, so maybe its better for backpackers who are looking for more efficiency from the same amount of weight of fuel.

i use propane simply because it is so easy to get and i have found the little green propane tanks even at the remotest of hardware stores. for anyone REALLY hell bent for butane, i did see where REI has butane for a good price. not sure about shipping restrictions or closeness of an REI brick and mortar store. i do see them around when traveling...and of course amazon has it as well

i recently bought a 2 burner eureka propane stove and it is the bomb. easily outperforms my coleman 2 burner and they have a single burner which i would also have if i didnt already have my gas one single burner and the single burner eureka will use butane as well. i crank up the knob on the eureka stove and get boiling water long before the coleman stove can reach that temp, so might be a good stove for someone in the market

Last edited:
Reactions: Nickel

Nickel

Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

as to the butane vs propane comparison...all i can see is that butane is a tad cleaner burning and good ole google reports that butane is 12% more efficient than propane, so maybe its better for backpackers who are looking for more efficiency from the same amount of weight of fuel.

i use propane simply because it is so easy to get and i have found the little green propane tanks even at the remotest of hardware stores. for anyone REALLY hell bent for butane, i did see where REI has butane for a good price. not sure about shipping restrictions or closeness of an REI brick and mortar store. i do see them around when traveling...and of course amazon has it as well
Butane and the green propane cannisters also readily available at Walmart. My local REI website says they have no butane and then I go there and they have like 3 different brands!!!!

I have a dual fuel single burner too and mainly use Butane since it is self contained without the adapter and smaller to pack (I like to travel light). Two advantages propane has over butane:
  1. Altitude. I want to say above 9k feet butane has a harder time lighting and/or generating the same heat at lower altitudes where-as propane does not have that issue.
  2. Same for ambient temp. Butane won't burn well, if at all, around freezing and below. Propane is good down to -40F.
I always wondered if propane and butane were a liquid or a gas. Quite interesting. Both are a liquid but both have a low "boiling temp". So inside the canister the liquid is boiling just sitting around. But the gas has no where to go so it turns back into a liquid (repeat). When you connect it to the stove and open the burner, the vapor gas comes out and ignites.

Butane boils at around freezing. That is why it stops working in lower temps. Propane around -40F, so it will still turn into a gas at lower temps.

Rarely am I above 9k feet and rarely below freezing so I use butane. If I were planning to be at those I would bring a propane tank or green canister.

BeardedOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

Kingman, Arizona, United States
First Name
JASON
Last Name
SMITH
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRUH443
I have a coleman 2 burner propane stove I have been traveling with for years but am starting to do more off-grid stuff vs. campgrounds. So I am looking at getting a single burner butane stove for a smaller footprint, self contained unit. I know very little about the butane single burners other than they look nice and compact. I typically do nothing more than boil water for coffee, to cook hotdogs, or am making canned soup or chili or frying up some spam and rice.

About the only thing I know is Butane won't fire up below freezing. This is a major rarity for me so not worried.

What else do I need to know? My main concerns are on transporting. Can I travel with the butane canister in the stove? Do I need to keep the butane canisters upright? etc.?
We carry two butane stoves, have for several years. Never had a problem, camped from Death Valley to Colorado and the temperatures that you find there. Both stoves I bought at Big5 think they cost $19 each and the fuel canister stores inside the stove.

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
Just to add...we used our butane stove repeatedly over 14,000 feet without issue. IIRC, the highest was ~16,000 feet. The locals in several of those regions use both butane and propane, many also use dried horse manure. So...take a horse, multi-purpose spare.

CLARO86

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Central PA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
LaRoche
Service Branch
USN vet
Update on my butane/propane use. I did a week long trip around WV and temps dropped around freezing temps at night, had some trouble with the butane canisters, as they get colder during use and the flame would start to sputter out while boiling water, i would have to switch cans, or keep one in my jacket so i could use it. I ended up buying a 5 pound propane tank so will use it as my primary fuel, but will still throw a can of of the butane i have in with my gear as back up since i have the dual fuel stove.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Why not just switch to a propane single burner? Or one of those fold up dual burners from Jet Boil or Coleman. You already carry 5lbs of propane with you. Why add another fuel you have to find/store/carry. Availability for me would be a big turn-off. You're wanting to go "more off grid" but wanting to switch to a rarer, more proprietary fuel type. Every podunk backwood gas station I've been in have 1lb propane canisters. You probably won't find butane/isobutane anywhere but stores in areas where camping is already popular, if you're lucky. Especially if you're talking about those with the side loaded tall cans of butane. The ones that screw on the bottom seem to be more avaliable but not like the old school 1lb propane tanks.

All that being said, I do carry a Jet Boil, but it's not my primary means of cooking. A propane stove still is. The jet boil is used for boiling water for lunch like ramen or coffee in the mornings, or boiling potatoes or making rice. The fuel canisters do last quite a while. I only carry one spare canister plus the one I'm actually using I used to write the dates on them when I started using them and "use first" so I didn't have multiple partial cans. If you're just using it to boil water and do small tasks they'll last for multiple, multiple trips.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
LOL I am learning that! Was online yesterday and learned my options are limited:

• Amazon will not ship to my address
  • REI no longer carries them and shipping to my local store for pickup is also not an option
  • Big 5 Sporting goods has a generic brand but is in stock
  • Home Depot I can ship to store the Gas One cannisters but 8 pack is minimum
  • Walmart has them locally, I believe the Coleman branded cannisters
I am probably going to get 4 from Walmart.

I bring along a 5 pound propane tank for my propane firepit. It is fine for 3-5 days if I am careful with the night time firepit use and keep it at 50% or less. I have a few green propane canisters that I think I will use up on the Gas One stove before switching over to the butane cannisters to use after the green bottles are depleted. I am not a fan of the waste but seriously one green 1 pounder of propane lasts me 8-10 days of camping easy. That is how frugal I am on the cooking, they are all quick 5 to 10 minute cooks. 8-10 days of camping is about what I do in a year, although I would like to start doing more.
I just bought 4 for $18.76. All over the place in Missouri. I use them to supliment the trailer heat. We've had some strings of 23* plus days already.
I still think the Buddy heater rocks.
Zim

On the average I pay $15 for a 15lb bottle. I just bought a 30 lb too. I think that's a decent price.
Sure beats the electric heat I had at the house. LOL
Z

Reactions: Nickel and CLARO86

Nickel

Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

I just bought 4 for $18.76. All over the place in Missouri. I use them to supliment the trailer heat. We've had some strings of 23* plus days already.
I still think the Buddy heater rocks.
Zim

On the average I pay $15 for a 15lb bottle. I just bought a 30 lb too. I think that's a decent price.
Sure beats the electric heat I had at the house. LOL
Z
Since i originally posted this I learned my local REI actually does have the butane canisters. For whatever reason, on their website it says "Unavailable at this store" but then you go in and there they are. Local Walmart also has them at a great price, like $2-3 each, so that is my go to place.