Burr trail, Utah

• HTML tutorial

Traveler I

Looking for any information that might be available on the trail including complexity and conditions for possible adventure April 2019. I realize that conditions will most likely change after winter so I expect that. Not at all familiar with SE Utah, only Moab area so far. Thanks

Enthusiast III

Phoenix, AZ
The Burr is about a 1.5 out o 10 in difficulty. It is paved outside of the Capitol Reef boundaries, dirt only in the National Park section. The switchbacks are dramatic but easily driven. I highly recommend the Hell's Backbone Grill in Boulder on the north end of the Burr. Combining Notam Road makes for a great loop.

A short side trip on Upper Muley Twist (37°51'12.5"N 111°02'35.2"W) to trailhead and then a short walk to the Strike Valley Overlook (37°53'00.0"N 111°02'31.4"W). There are numerous arches along Upper Muley Twist and the drive is demanding enough to be a break from the easiness of the Burr. High clearance required.

P1060028.JPG

Enthusiast III

Phoenix, AZ
No dispersed camping inside the National Park boundary, but outside is fair game. The boundaries are well marked. There are numerous side roads that will have opportunities for dispersed camping. I use Google Maps satellite view or Google Earth to pick out some possible camp locations before a trip, though often I spot better ones along the way.