Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Livermore, CA, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Gini
Member #

Hey guys, looking for opinions on what to do here. I’m trying to decide between a CBI T3 bumper with the low center only grill protection vs a SSO Slimline Hybrid bumper. (See pics below).
I use my rig as my daily driver, so I still definitely care about weight and mpg. I also don’t really do or plan on doing any crazy rock crawling. I mostly put around on fire roads and things of that nature, with some more technical roads, but I don’t actively seek out *super* tough terrain. I’ll also add a pic showing the kind of terrain I’d be expecting to take consistently.
What I’d really like out of it is the added protection from scrapes (obviously), the ability to add a winch and recovery points (probably my most important thing), having extra light from a lightbar, and to be honest, I also want it to look cool!

What do you guys think? Do I need to go full bumper? I feel like I might just be trying to look Overland AF by getting it when I don’t actually need it?

Thanks guys!

IMG_8392.JPG
CBI T3 ^

IMG_8393.JPG
SSO Slimline ^

IMG_7098.JPG
“Average” terrain ^

IMG_9464.JPG
Probably the most difficult/hairy I’d realistically like to do ^

StuntmanMike

Rank IV

Advocate II

Newport RI
That full bumper looks cool as hell, and if you have the budget for it, I say go for it. Don't worry about trying to look "Overland AF", or what other people may think. Personally, the bumper doesn't scream "trying to look overland to me", though there are certainly other common mods that do.

If you have sticker shock with the bumper, that hybrid thing looks pretty functional, and will most likely meet your needs just fine. Also, I imagine with it being lighter and maintaining more tire coverage than the full bumper, your gas mileage would be minimally effected.

I would prob go with the hybrid, bc as much as I'd want the full bumper, I wouldn't be able to justify the cost unless I needed to replace the stock bumper for whatever reason.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

In my experience, a bumper provides 3 things.

The winch mount and recovery points seem there with either option. But, corner propection seems unchanged with the "hidden" ones.

I wouldn't care what other people think of your rig. Clearly you put it to real use, and there are clearly practical advantages to the full bumper for you, so if you want it, get it!

TheGreatWhiteBuffalo

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Livermore, CA, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Gini
Member #

For me the cost difference isn’t the big thing, it’s more the mpg and power hit I’m worried about and I’m not sure that I’ll actually get any added value from it.
After looking at the cost differences, I think going with the full bumper will only around $500 more, and some of that cost is because I’ll need new coils for the extra weight. (I’m on stock coils now)

Reactions: StuntmanMike

TheGreatWhiteBuffalo

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Livermore, CA, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Gini
Member #

View attachment 71850View attachment 71851View attachment 71853

Got the sso slim line for the front and for the cbi with the swing arm and the Jerry can holder.
@Cpol How do you like it? Do you feel like it’s added protection/given you extra peace of mind? Do you ever find yourself wanting a full bumper or are you glad you went with the slimline? I’m looking to eventually do the CBI rear with swing arm as well, looks like you have a sweet setup!

Cpol

Rank IX
Launch Member

World Traveler III

Jackson Heights, Queens, NY, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Pol
Member #

DD71C293-F2B0-47AD-AEA5-FE207B0224B4.jpeg
@Cpol How do you like it? Do you feel like it’s added protection/given you extra peace of mind? Do you ever find yourself wanting a full bumper or are you glad you went with the slimline? I’m looking to eventually do the CBI rear with swing arm as well, looks like you have a sweet setup!
To be honest with with you, I feel protected with out puting an additional 100 lbs on a full bumper and plus the winch. It’s sleek and sexy as my duaghter puts it. Don’t get discouraged regarding weight Iam still on stock. And I just added last night the decked system and a fridge

Cpol

Rank IX
Launch Member

World Traveler III

First Name
Chris
Last Name
Pol
Member #

Thanks for the compliment, it has been a journey to get here

FUNHOGN (aka Maurice)

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Prescott Valley, Arizona
First Name
Maurice
Last Name
Guinouard
Member #

This is what I did and why. Like a lot of us, my rig is my daily driver. I didn't build it to be a rock crawler so I didn't want to add a lot of weight from a full bumper upgrade but still be able to use a winch if required. So I opted for the Mob Town recovery bar. It attaches at the frame, comes with two recovery points and a 2 inch receiver. I can use a hitch mounted which when needed but not carry it around when I don't. It's beefy, but only weighs 55 pounds. I upgraded my springs with the light/medium OME spring set to carry the combined weight of the recovery bar and the winch (#130) when on those trails and have a decent ride otherwise by avoiding the heavyweight springs. A bonus for me is it's subtle. 0518181005_HDR.jpg

Cpol

Rank IX
Launch Member

World Traveler III

First Name
Chris
Last Name
Pol
Member #

Thank you for the compliment, don’t regret the purchase.