Bumper Option

• HTML tutorial

Floki

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Villa Rica
Member #

Hey, I hope I’m not duplicating a thread that’s already been created however I’m new to the community and I’m diving right into modifying my 2017 4Runner. My question to everyone is should I go with a low profile front bumper winch setup or a full aluminum front bumper? If you went with a low profile bumper did you find yourself wishing you had gone with something a little more robust? My mind is currently leaning towards an aluminum bumper however I’d still like everyone’s feedback...

I do like the looks of the low profile bumpers and I feel it’s probably the best option regarding weight to the vehicle, cosmetically more appealing and best suited for the type of overlanding I plan on doing at the moment however I’m leaning towards the aluminum bumper because I feel over time it will hold up better, the front paint on the stock bumper getting scratched up will no longer be a concern and down the road it saves me having to invest twice if I decide a heavier duty bumper is necessary. I also believe I’d get a sense of comfort knowing I’d have the additional ruggedness to push through lighter brush without cringing my teeth as much and that comfort of being able to take steeper angles. Any feedback is gravely appreciated and I’ll update you with what I decide! Happy thanksgiving to all my overland brothers and sisters!

Wanderlost

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Caledonia, Illinois
Member #

We struggled with the same question you present. After much research, asking questions, and being honest with ourselves regarding what we really need; we went with the Slimline Hybrid bumper from Southern Style Offroad. The deciding factors for us were weight, frontend aerodynamics, overall cost, and aesthetics. If we were to go with a full width bumper CBI Offroad's was going to be our first choice.

We're going to be installing our front bumper, winch, and lightbar tomorrow (Black Friday- #optoutside to the shop.) The video we produce will be uploaded to our Youtube Channel early next week if you're interested in the install process.

outwardbound

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mascoutah, IL
Member #

Do you plan on running a winch? Do you daily drive your rig and in what kind of traffic. Or you more into harder, more technical wheeling or more of an explorist looking for good remote camping and mostly forest roads.

I've ran my 4runner stock for about 9 months before I added anything so I could learn the capability of the truck and myself. I did great things with just maxxtrax, snatch rope, and a hilift jack, for which training is priceless. I upgraded then to a hidden winch mount and liked the "sleeper"overlander look, but in practice, using the winch was a pain. And honestly, from a safety of operation standpoint as any professional offroad instructor will tell you, it's important to be able to see the winch spool and access the spool release. 90% of the bumpers put there don't facilitate this, for the most part, but some are better than others. Then you've got to consider the added weight on the front end and wear and tear on your front end components and brakes.

I upgraded again to an ARB summit bar. Sure, it contradicts alot of what I said about weight, etcc.... but I can completely observe the winch spools and access the winch safely, I have dedicated hilift jack points, and I have protection against animals and stuff, for which me, in the northeast and for what I do, is very important, as well as airbag compatibility. Plus I do overland first responder stuff on the side, so the benefits outweigh the costs for me.

This isn't a plug for an ARB bumper, but it is most certainly a recommendation to build slowly as needed, learn, and then buy once, cry once.

Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Floki

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Villa Rica
Member #

I’m definitely going to install a winch with the low profile bumper or the full bumper. I’m not sure as to which low profile bumper I would elect to purchase if I decide to go that route however if I go with the full bumper I’m considering the aluminum Pelfreybilt. One thing outwardbound mentioned that I didn’t even consider is animals. I’ve hit numerous deer in the past in my neck of the woods which makes a stronger case in my opinion to go with a full bumper. Thanks for the input so far guys!

SC_4Runner

Rank 0

Contributor II

I don’t understand aluminum armor. One weekend on the trails can crack aluminum skids. I had a hidden winch mount for the first year and got frustrated with the lack of access to the winch drum. Didn’t take a huge loss on selling it. I wouldn’t recommend them though because of the reason I just mentioned.

ARB is the best quality available, but like any steel bumper you’ll have to upgrade your suspension to handle the weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SC_4Runner

Rank 0

Contributor II

How about the best of both worlds? Hefty Fabworks, in collaboration with Southern Style Off Road, has just released an aluminum version of the SSO Slimline Hybrid front bumper.

http://www.heftyfabworks.com/store/#!/2014+-4Runner-Slimline-Bumper-Aluminum/p/95015226/category=13441649
$1165 for that?! Offers zero protection from radiator damage and doesn’t improve the approach angle? At least lighting a sack of cash on fire would give off some heat.

Reactions: WrightRunner

SC_4Runner

Rank 0

Contributor II

Ah, ain't opinions wunnerful? Lol
SSO is a popular pick, so is HWM. The steel options don’t add much weight when paired with a smaller winch. Either way the front will sag without upgraded Springs.

Sparky

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Jose, California
Member #

I've got a 2016 4Runner, went with the Limited trim. Given the factory front end on the Limited's a full-width bumper was pretty much mandatory for me. I assume from your stated options that you've got either an SR5 or Trail/TRD model which enables the option for a hybrid style winch bumper. I've always liked the idea of those hybrid bumpers, the approach angle on the factory SR5 and Trail/TRD bumpers are not bad, so it capitalizes on that which is a big plus. I never considered the winch access issue mentioned by @outwardbound though but it is a very good consideration.

I'd ask how much protection the Pilfrey bumper will afford for a deer/animal hit, it's completely flush with the front end. It's better than nothing but I'm not sure how much added value it can afford. I'm running a Demello bumper right now on the 4Runner and ordered it with full-hoops specifically for protection from animal hits. As far as I know Demello and 4x4labs (with hoops) are among the lightest weight bumpers that afford real, forward engine bay protection. There's a lot of other stuff under the hood that can disable a vehicle out, so unless you plan on every collision being center-mass overall front end protection should come into play. Animals can always roll up into the hood or windshield which adds another layer of "suck" that is near impossible to account for. I rolled a vehicle once involving a deer hit so I understand the concern.

On a side note, Relentless Fab out of Nevada also makes a hybrid bumper you may want to inquire about, I'm only saying that because my friend has SSO front and rear bumpers on his GX470 and I'm not that impressed with the quality. I've run Hanson, Bud Built, RCI, Demello, and 4x4 Labs products and his SSO stuff simply does not compare. Poor fit and bolt alignment issues upon installation, and he had a weld break on his rear swingout after a year. I know a lot of guys run SSO happily which is great, but from my experience I'd consider alternatives.

Overall I'd consider what kind of situation an animal hit would put you in. Geographic location, local traffic (for assistance), and overall access to help being the main considerations. Whatever you have on the front-end is going to get "trail badges" from tree or brush scrapes so I'd just factor that in to the whole equation. Bumper hoops around the headlights and limb-risers can help reduce damage. The added weight of a full-width front bumper does take it's toll on daily driving and general handling performance so this decision, no pun intended, shouldn't not to be taken lightly. Taking it slow and having a spotter can help prevent a lot of this damage, in my experience though. Heavier-rate front springs can help offset the added weight. Hope my insight helps!

Good thing with the 5th gen 4Runner's is that the market is huge, you can always re-sell parts for a minimal loss in in investment.

Last edited:

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Here is an option for you,
Bump it, in Colorado, will make you a custom bumper at a good price. Mike S. Is real good to work with. Benz.

Reactions: WrightRunner

SC_4Runner

Rank 0

Contributor II

I'd ask how much protection the Pilfrey bumper will afford for a deer/animal hit, it's completely flush with the front end. It's better than nothing but I'm not sure how much added value it can afford. I'm running a Demello bumper right now on the 4Runner and ordered it with full-hoops specifically for protection from animal hits.
This is a fair question. It’s a lot of steel and the radiator is very well protected. Hoops would be nice. If I could do it again I would likely go CBI or even ARB.

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

The weight was a concern for me as well, but I decided that if it could offer protection in an actual impact with animals or even lower speed traffic that wouldn’t cause much or any damage and allow me to continue on a trip, then it was worth it.

I just recently installed my ARB Summit bar and it’s fantastic. It is designed with small gaps between panels and lights as to avoid damage in impact. It very well built. I cant even wrap my hand around the top bar. (The summit has larger diameter tubing).

Warn Zeon Platinum 10-s hidden behind the flip up license plate.