built my own portable power station, looking for reccomendations on a solar panel

• HTML tutorial

LONO100

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area CA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
PXXXXXXX
Hi all, I recently completed this little side project I had been working on. I took an old Pelican case that we were going to throw out at work and turned it into a mobile power station out of spare parts I had laying around. It is pretty much one of those goal zero yetis, or a jackery, but with much more power. I used an optima 12 volt deep cycle battery, a 400 watt AC inverter and an outdoor power strip. I found a solar charge controller online for 12 bucks, had to build some custom brackets out of some spare delrin we had laying around the shop, and wired it all up. It isn't quite water proof because there were a couple of holes in the pelican from a previous project, and I needed to add a vent so the battery and inverter can vent out. This thing is pretty robust though and can take a fall, kicks and other forms of abuse. Here are a few pics.

I was hpoing you guys could shoot me some suggestions on a portable solar panel that is rated at 100 watts that would be a good for packing up and taking on trips and taking some abuse. I was hoping to find something that is lightweight, foldable or has a case, and is relatively lightweight. I don't care for the connector type on the wires, as I plan to clip whatever is on there and add some amphenol cable mounts, and then add a matching panel mount onto the pelican case. I found a couple on amazon that seem to fit the bill, but I was hoping some of you guys out there had some experience with mobile solar panels that you could recommend. Thanks in advance!

Ken

Reactions: Sparksalot

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
nice set up. i did the similar thing for my tear-drop camper using a tongue tool box from harbor freight and (2) 100w renogy panels mounted on roof top. i recently bought a jackery power station for back-up and really appreciate its construction and i'll eventually go with the jackery 100w folding panels. jackery is a good brand and amazon has the 100w panels for $300. i would definitely check them out or goal zero. i have a mini power station from goal zero and it is very well built as well and i'm sure their panels are just as good. i have panels on my camp trailer and a panel on my truck topper mounted to the cargo basket on top, so i tap into those and dont have a need for the portable panels, otherwise i would go with jackery folding panels

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Hi all, I recently completed this little side project I had been working on. I took an old Pelican case that we were going to throw out at work and turned it into a mobile power station out of spare parts I had laying around. It is pretty much one of those goal zero yetis, or a jackery, but with much more power. I used an optima 12 volt deep cycle battery, a 400 watt AC inverter and an outdoor power strip. I found a solar charge controller online for 12 bucks, had to build some custom brackets out of some spare delrin we had laying around the shop, and wired it all up. It isn't quite water proof because there were a couple of holes in the pelican from a previous project, and I needed to add a vent so the battery and inverter can vent out. This thing is pretty robust though and can take a fall, kicks and other forms of abuse. Here are a few pics.

I was hpoing you guys could shoot me some suggestions on a portable solar panel that is rated at 100 watts that would be a good for packing up and taking on trips and taking some abuse. I was hoping to find something that is lightweight, foldable or has a case, and is relatively lightweight. I don't care for the connector type on the wires, as I plan to clip whatever is on there and add some amphenol cable mounts, and then add a matching panel mount onto the pelican case. I found a couple on amazon that seem to fit the bill, but I was hoping some of you guys out there had some experience with mobile solar panels that you could recommend. Thanks in advance!

Ken
That’s cool. Where are you going to mount or stow it? I’m wondering if you will try to seal up the opening for the outlets.

Last edited:
Reactions: LONO100

LONO100

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area CA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
PXXXXXXX
That’s cool. Where are you going to mount or stay it? I’m wondering if you will try to seal up the opening for the outlets.
Thanks, its a Pelican the size of a small rollingsuitcase and it has wheels to it will just get packed into the back of my truck on trips. My plan was to use it when I set up camp. Just put it in the sun and have a panel with a 8-10 lead on it that will plug into it to trickle a charge into it. I don't really bring anything that needs this kind of power, it will mainly be used to keep my cameras, gorpo batteries and inreach fully charged.

I built the thing on the fly and was kind eyeballing stuff, but I have an epilog laser cutter at work so I may whip up a bezel or some type of trim plate to go around the power strip and display to give it some protection. It may not be easy to see, but the display and power strip are slightly recessed into the case to keep them from getting hit or kicked.

LONO100

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area CA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
PXXXXXXX
nice set up. i did the similar thing for my tear-drop camper using a tongue tool box from harbor freight and (2) 100w renogy panels mounted on roof top. i recently bought a jackery power station for back-up and really appreciate its construction and i'll eventually go with the jackery 100w folding panels. jackery is a good brand and amazon has the 100w panels for $300. i would definitely check them out or goal zero. i have a mini power station from goal zero and it is very well built as well and i'm sure their panels are just as good. i have panels on my camp trailer and a panel on my truck topper mounted to the cargo basket on top, so i tap into those and dont have a need for the portable panels, otherwise i would go with jackery folding panels

Thanks, I will definitely give them a look.

Reactions: grubworm