Building an Overland Bound Vehicle

• HTML tutorial

Traveler I

What are some of the "must-haves" when it comes to building a vehicle that can serve the purpose of overlanding?

Some information on my 'rig'. It's a 2015 Jeep Renegade FWD (front-wheel drive). I live in Florida, so it's as flat as it can be here, so 4x4 isn't really necessary (although I do wish I would have gotten a 4x4).

I already have upgraded tires, BFG KO2s.

I plan on adding a lift in the next couple of months.

I'd like to add a rear tire carrier to carry my spare as well as some gas cans and other things I might need when I'm out.

I plan on purchasing a roof top tent, so which is a good tent that won't break the bank? Around $900-$1000. And an awning as well.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Jade Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneola, FL
Being FWD I would say some Maxtrax and a winch would be on the top of my list for that vehicle. Make sure you have recovery points, because you're going to need them. If you have a hitch, something like the hitch shackle would be ideal. Normally I would say have a rear bumper with a spare and gas would be a good idea, but your vehicle is basically dragging the rear tires while off road, so maybe having all that weight off the back isn't a good idea.

I'm just thinking about where I go in Florida, and my experience wheeling my old 2WD truck weight was the enemy. I would take it out and have fun, but with all the deep sand it was a struggle. Having some aids that will enable you to get out of a sticky situation on your own will really give you some piece of mind when out adventuring.

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

How does the front diff on that 2wd work? LSD at least? (no locker I assume)