Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Hondón de las Nieves, Spanje
First Name
arjan
Last Name
sloot
Member #

hi to all i schrap my old tent trailer till i was left whit a frame and bottom.
i am looking for some insparation or ppl who want to help drawing for a nice all purose trailer.
i dont got the experiece of a carpenter. any help is welcom
i want to put a box on it like 50cm high and the whole dimensions big exl. wheel arch of course.
on top of the box i want to carrier a RTT.
i will put a picture on to with the dimensions.
note: there are now 12 inch tyre on it but the will be replaced by 14inch met AT tyre
IMG_20200513_182642.jpgIMG_20200513_182647.jpg
IMG_20200513_182010.jpg
IMG_20200513_182021.jpg

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

First question, how wide do you need it?
What size tire do you plan on?
Will it need a new axle?

Thinking bolt pattern and track width and tow vehicle track width and tow vehicle tire rim compatibility.
A common goal is being able to use the same spare on both the tow vehicle and the trailer.

You need to make those choices first, you mention jumping from 12" rims to 14" rims.
Wht 14" rims ? Likely going to a bigger rim will affect the trailer track width and need a new axle.

Overall, it looks like a nice place to start.

Where will you use it. The around town utility trailer part is simple. Adding an RTT simple too. But where will your camping take you? If you are going to the same kind of places you towed the tent trailer this will be a real simple build once you decide on the wheel, tire, track thing. If you are building this to get access to much more remote, technical terrain, the build will need to accomodate that. The bigger wheel/tire/new axle might be plenty to increase its capability, but you need to tell us where you expect to tow it.

A picture of the undercarriage, axle, spring would be nice too.
Maybe a picture of the tow vehicle too. It is nice when the package is balanced.

You and I are Grads of the same drafting school, :grimacing::grimacing:

Last edited:

arjan

Rank IV
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

First Name
arjan
Last Name
sloot
Member #

First question, how wide do you need it?
What size tire do you plan on?
Will it need a new axle?

Thinking bolt pattern and track width and tow vehicle track width and tow vehicle tire rim compatibility.
A common goal is being able to use the same spare on both the tow vehicle and the trailer.

You need to make those choices first, you mention jumping from 12" rims to 14" rims.
Wht 14" rims ? Likely going to a bigger rim will affect the trailer track width and need a new axle.

Overall, it looks like a nice place to start.

Where will you use it. The around town utility trailer part is simple. Adding an RTT simple too. But where will your camping take you? If you are going to the same kind of places you towed the tent trailer this will be a real simple build once you decide on the wheel, tire, track thing. If you are building this to get access to much more remote, technical terrain, the build will need to accomodate that. The bigger wheel/tire/new axle might be plenty to increase its capability, but you need to tell us where you expect to tow it.

A picture of the undercarriage, axle, spring would be nice too.
Maybe a picture of the tow vehicle too. It is nice when the package is balanced.

You and I are Grads of the same drafting school, :grimacing::grimacing:
under neath is a 750kg torsian axle.
the car in front is a toyota hilux.
i am not going change the bolt pattern for this one. it is going to have its own spare tyre
i will drive it to some remote places that more likely gravel roads iif i do real technical stuff it will be without the trailer

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

So all you need is to build a light weight box on top of the existing floor. Can't get simpler.

Is there steel support under the wood floor? If not you will need some cross members to support the weight of the RTT loaded on the box sides. Easy way, remove the floor and add full width aquare steel tube cross members 24" OC.

With a plywood floor I'd frame in 2x4 on the flat and glue/screw it all together. Lots of ways to sheet it in. Plywood, metal roofing, siding, aluminium trailer siding.

Reactions: arjan

arjan

Rank IV
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

First Name
arjan
Last Name
sloot
Member #

So all you need is to build a light weight box on top of the existing floor. Can't get simpler.

Is there steel support under the wood floor? If not you will need some cross members to support the weight of the RTT loaded on the box sides. Easy way, remove the floor and add full width aquare steel tube cross members 24" OC.

With a plywood floor I'd frame in 2x4 on the flat and glue/screw it all together. Lots of ways to sheet it in. Plywood, metal roofing, siding, aluminium trailer siding.
Thank for the anwser. I think i use thick concrete plywood. There is going to be a frameless screw conection. On the picture you see where the frame is and the second one is a top view full plywood frame on the bottom.15894729710531794251570599248238.jpg

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I'd just want some support under the plywood floor overhanging the frame on each side. If it were not supporting an RTT I'd maybe not care but a 300 overhang supporting the RTT is too much cantilever in my mind.

Similar to the rear crossmember/bumper I'd want one at the front and one in front and behind the wheel openings. The front cross member could mount on top of the frame, in front of the floor with light steel angle to catch the 300 overhang. With a torsen axle the other 2 cross member could mount below the frame and be blocked to support the floor.

Curious, what is the weight of a sheet of the "thick concrete plywood". I think we call it a different name here.

Last edited:

arjan

Rank IV
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

First Name
arjan
Last Name
sloot
Member #

This is 18mm thick concrete plywood. It is wheater proof coated. And very stong. and because the box frame is going to be holding it self together and the big support are directly above the steel frame. And the lid will be 1 piece of this plywood so i am not afreight of anything bending.IMG_20200514_185359.jpg

Reactions: Billiebob

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Great attention to detail. It looks fabulous.
What will you tow it with ?

Reactions: arjan

arjan

Rank IV
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

First Name
arjan
Last Name
sloot
Member #

I put the rotopax on bouth sides a 2galon toolbox 1,75galon fuel. For my dual fuel burner from colman.
Made it road legal today licence plate holder on reflectors. Now making the lid and locks. Now waiting for more parts.

Attachments

arjan

Rank IV
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

First Name
arjan
Last Name
sloot
Member #

The lid hitch is working like a glove fits in mm to spare.
The rotopax on one side os extended and a 1,75galon 6.6liter drinkwater and toolbox. Otherside 1,75galon/6.6liter fuel. Inside aeroplane cargo rails. To make everything secure.

Attachments

arjan

Rank IV
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

First Name
arjan
Last Name
sloot
Member #

For now finisht the build. The lid got gas struds and the trailer got new shoes. MT tires. Now waiting for the RTT to put on it and got to adventure
IMG_20200623_215516.jpgIMG_20200621_193749.jpgIMG_20200623_215455.jpgIMG_20200623_215504.jpg