• HTML tutorial

Funmobile

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Yuba City
Member #

Hello everyone,

I currently have a 2006 2.4 liter 6 speed with 3.73 gearing that I have equipped with winch, assorted lighting, 4-interior USBs, onboard air, inverter, solar input, roof rack, RTT, 31.5" tires and suspension of Oem Rubicon springs (for spring rate), KYB shocks and 1.75" spring spacers.

I love the vehicle, with the exception of power at highway speeds. The RTT being the real power sucking wind grabber.

With all that said,
I recently picked up a 2005, 4.0, 6 spd with factory 3.73, and a Dana 30/44 combo with Oem limited slip. I will be replacing both carriers with Tru-tracs, as I like the way they drive, no external parts and full time operation. My question is suspension. I would like to go with a 33" tire and am wondering what those of you with those, are running. A SYE and a switch to 4.10 or 4.11 gearing is planned.

I am really leaning toward a set of OME 2" springs with possibly a 1/2" urethane spacer and adjustable control arms from Metal Cloak for better durability, range of motion and adjustability.

I would like to keep it as low as possible for both center of gravity benefits, as well as track bar and steering geometry. I know there are adjustable track bars, but those don't serve to correct attachment point position as they travel through their range of motion. I can weld and fabricate, so new brackets are a possibility, however I would rather avoid that if I can.

At any rate,
I look forward to hearing your feedback and personal experiences.

Thanks much!

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Sounds like your on the right track. 4.10, 33 is a good combo. No lower than 4.56. SYE in my book is a must. Im not a fan of OME springs or shocks. Ive had them in my Toyota's and just don't like the spring rate or the shock valving. In my 04 TJ, I have a set of 4" progressive springs from trail master I think. I went through 3 sets of springs before I was given these. Nice ride on and off road. I can drive long distances in it off road and its smooth.
Your going to want a sway-bar disconnect also. I know your not rock crawling but, on dirt roads as one tire moves up or down, you add in the spring rate from the sway bar. On rough dirt roads it makes the ride a bit better.
When you get the suspension done, make sure your rear panhard rod is flat and your front matches the angle of your drag link (steering). If the geometry is good, that will help your on road handling.
Heres 33's, 4" lift, some fender flair trimming.
TJ DV.jpg

Scott

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
OH yes
Upgrade your steering and It would be wise to upgrade your front track bar. I would recommend Curry for both. They are a bit pricey but you will never have to deal with those parts again.

Scott

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I had fantastic results with a Rubicon express 3.5 super flex kit with adjustable track bar and sway bar disconnects on my zj ( basicly the same suspension ) .
Everything went together smooth ,it drove straight as a arrow , suspension flexed amazingly well and was the best riding rig I've ever owned . It was nice to get everything as a kit so i diddnt have to piece everything together

Last edited:

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

I’m running OME shocks on a 4” Teraflex lift on my 94 Rubicon. The lift was installed when I bought the vehicle and when I swapped out the Teraflex shocks with the OMEs the difference was night and day. The nice thing about a Rubicon is stock 4.10s and no SYE required. Front sway bar disconnect is definitely a must. And what a lot of people discount (myself included when I first started off-roading) is airing down. I’m sure you’ve seen living out west in a desert climate the roads become washboards and will rattle the fillings out of your teeth. The best way to mitigate that is by airing down off-road. I’ll usually run 15 PSI on my stock Moab rims with no issues.

Reactions: smritte

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I would also suggest replacing the upper arms with just stock ones it doesn't take much movement and play in the joints to start having the vehicle feel like it's going to wander around