Enthusiast III

Arroyo Grande CA
First Name
Hans
Last Name
Sommer
Member #

455.JPG Fire pit diagram.JPG

As humans we have are innately wired to congregate around a warm fire, to share stores, to share food, to sing, to connect, it’s in our DNA. Our human connection to fire is foundational and imprinted from our early human ancestors. By having a fire at night it kept predators away and dramatically improved their chances of survival to the next day by building communities. Enjoying a wood fire is proven to lower blood pressure, produce a calming feeling and produce an increase in social behaviors.

A recent Nature Conservancy poll found that only about 10 percent of American teens spend time outside every day. According to research by the Harvard School of Public Health, American adults spend less time outdoors than they do inside vehicles—less than 5 percent of their day.

Since we all have day jobs having a fire pit at home let's you have the camping experience anytime you want and head inside when it gets too cold. Plus you can test out recipes before an excursion and if you have teens you can have them come to your house to keep an eye on them.

A wood fire pit is the real deal, a few of my friends have a gas ‘fire pit’ in their back yard and they’re cute but to be honest; gas fire pits suck.

A gas fire has no snap and pop of wood, they barely throw any heat, the unnatural hissing sound and the fact that you can’t cook over them are all deal breakers in my book. Gas fire pits are fine in restaurants, hotels and for those poor people who live in a rule happy town that doesn’t allow a real fire. But if you’re going to build a fire pit, build one that burns real wood! Besides, it’s less expensive to build and you don’t need a permit or have to run a gas line that you may hit some day with a shovel. Plus, in the event of a natural disaster and your gas is shut off you’re not screwed, just burn wood in your fire pit to cook and stay warm.

A fire brick lined stone fire pit is the best for the following reasons:

1. The fire brick is the crucial component in a real fire pit. They absorb the heat from the wood and reflect it back into the fire and radiates out through the stone sides for warming toes and a wide circumference around the pit. It’s like compound interest with heat.

2. You can use it as an oven to cook whole turkeys, whole fish or other food items. The brick and stones retain heat all night and into the next day which makes them perfect for slow cooking food. Like a turkey http://bit.ly/piturkey

3. Food grilled over hardwood coals just tastes better, the natural wood smoke flavors infuse your creations with rustic flavor. Use a grill grate or a Cowboy Kabob to skewer meat vegies, sausage etc. and grill South American Churrasco style! http://bit.ly/CowboyKabob

4. The heat produced is 10x more than a gas pit, a little smoke adds authenticity but as it gets hotter it burns more efficiently and there’s very little smoke

5. You can burn yard scraps, scrap lumber cut offs and misc stuff in your pit.

6. Fire is hypnotic and going back to the DNA thing it will make you happy.

7. It’s fun to burn things and to hang out and talk, have a sun downer, laugh have fun and play music.

For between $300-400 using the below plans you can build one. If you can use a level, grinder and a mortar trowel then this is a couple weekends type of project. For full how to instructions with pictures download here: http://bit.ly/FirePitInstructions or the attached.

I Just thought I'd share the pit plans I drew up based on one I built in my yard with the overlanding crew since we all get how important adventure and nature is and it's a part of who we are. So if you feel inspired you can reference my plans and modify them however you want to build your own back yard pit. Or share pictures of your back yard pit with this thread !
Cheers
Hans S. OB 8595

Attachments

Last edited:

Hans Sommer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arroyo Grande CA
First Name
Hans
Last Name
Sommer
Member #

Nice plans, thanks for sharing.

We have a fire pit in the backyard, and we love it

That's Great! I think anything that gets us outside with our family is great. Enjoying a fire is a great way to have great conversations with friends and family. Cheers.

Best from Brazil

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

Wow! I’m impressed. I was just going to dig a hole and line it with bricks or maybe just use the drum from an old washing machine. There some great ideas coming here.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I’m not even that big of a fan of fires (I hate smoke) but we have the land and friends like fires so I built this a month ago. To bad it’s already getting too warm to use it. Guess it will be nice next year!

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
These are some really good ideas. I like the idea of a smaller 20-24 inch size pit, which allows a more controlled heat, and allows people to snuggle closer to the source, without cooking themselves. Put a grate across it, and you have room for 2 pans.
Was going to put it in a alcove area in the backyard, but was overruled, and a tree was planted instead.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I have a raised patio at the back of my house so I recently ordered a Solo Stove Bonfire fire pit. Of course since it has arrived it's either been raining or it's been too warm for a fire. I like the concept and looks like we'll be able to burn a pretty smoke free fire on our back patio now. Now I need to look into what is the best firewood for a fire pit. I see it on sale everywhere but I know with everything there has to be certain types of woods that are better than others.

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

Here's mine made out of an old cast iron lard pot. Today I used it to season a couple of disc blades for making skottles and a '60's Lodge skillet that I found at Goodwill for $7.00. It was nice to just hang out around a campfire with the dog.

KIMG0007.JPG

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
This is my back yard "camping" setup....wood fired pizza is amazing. And I can throw a grill over the fire and cook about anything else also.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nice touch with the oven door:grin:.

There are some on-line sources......er....survival forums, that discuss how to build backyard 'ROCKET STOVES'. One thing that is emphasized, is using the proper type of brick for your construction. From what I understand, some brick types have too much moisture retention, and if heat is applied, there is the possibility of the brick exploding, creating a possible safety issue.

I believe 'FIRE' brick is what are needed to be used. I also believe this is also a code requirement when setting up a indoor insulating footing beds for a cooking/wood heating stove as a isolation sheet, as they are manufactured for high heat use.

The idea of a backyard Rocket Stove to compliment your BBQ is a great idea, as you can practice cooking in a more controlled atmosphere in case of complications. Using a backyard fire pit for planned cooking can also be a good exercise in planned cooking when out in the field. Food just tastes better over a open flame. Add some mesquite or apple wood to the fire for chef level cooking:grin:

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Here's mine made out of an old cast iron lard pot. Today I used it to season a couple of disc blades for making skottles and a '60's Lodge skillet that I found at Goodwill for $7.00. It was nice to just hang out around a campfire with the dog.

View attachment 132818
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What a really nice intimate patio lay-out. And it is very durable for out-door use. A little chimney paint ( high heat), will keep any rust issues at bay. I really like the vintage wheel bases and the old tractor seats:grin:

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Fort Collins, Colorado has banned fire pits. They say they pollute the environment. They are trying to ban BBQ grills as well.

• Angry
Reactions: Desert Runner