Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Columbia City, Indiana
First Name
First
Last Name
Lastname
Member #

I am getting ready for a ~4000 mile trip and was wondering if anyone has some recommendations for wiper/washer fluid/pretreatment to make cleaning the bugs easier? Wranglers are aweful for collecting insects on their flat vertical windshields. Thinking about making room for the ice scraper.

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app

mjbateman01

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Terrell, TX, USA
Member #

I usually use that Rain-x fluid over my windshield, it helps... i guess but i usually clean/ scrap my front window every time i get gas.

Ripley1046

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY
I've always waxed my windshield. Helps the water run off, and seems to make it easier to spray the bugs off. You do have to keep up with it though. At least with some spray on stuff once every month or two. I think I only have to get the paste wax out once every year or two. Good frameless wipers have helped a lot. They cost more, but they work so much better in my experience.

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

I just use water in my sprayers, as long as you catch the big / anoying bugs before they dry up it works best.. and at home I use a window cleaning spray bottle to clean the windows with a rag. When on a long trip I guess I would just take the window cleaner along and every night / pitstop clean the windows off.

Jelorian

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area, CA
Member #

We used to do this at the end of a long day of riding motorcycles. Never tried it on a car/truck windshield but I would imagine that it would work just as well.

Take an old towel and soak it in hot water. Spread it over the windshield for 5 minutes. The bugs will wipe right off.

Haha..but now you have a wet towel full of bug guts that you need to deal with....maybe not such a good idea after all.

We didn't worry about it because we were using the hand towels at the various hotels we would stop at during our extended rides.

Reactions: TFNOvrlndr

TFNOvrlndr

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

North Dakota
First Name
Clark
Last Name
Hanaway
Member #

We used to do this at the end of a long day of riding motorcycles. Never tried it on a car/truck windshield but I would imagine that it would work just as well.

Take an old towel and soak it in hot water. Spread it over the windshield for 5 minutes. The bugs will wipe right off.

Haha..but now you have a wet towel full of bug guts that you need to deal with....maybe not such a good idea after all.

We didn't worry about it because we were using the hand towels at the various hotels we would stop at during our extended rides.
Never thought about it, but that is genius! Thanks for the pro tip!

Reactions: Jelorian