Bugs on the windscreen

• HTML tutorial

ColoradoRick

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Central Coast CA
Member #

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum area or already has a thread, but I couldn't find it.

OK, so here is the deal, I hate a dirty windshield, and recently I have moved to an agricultural area where the damn bugs are messing up my view.

What are you folks doing on long drives to keeping your windscreen clean? how about in the field?
What are you using to keep the damn things from ruining everything they dry onto?
Dang things are making me nuts.
--
Rick

druff6991

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Carlsbad NM
Member #

I'm convinced bugs are made out of evil, considering you have to use military grade chemicals to remove them. But rain x bug windshield spray stuff. It's green and is for above freezing temps. Works alright for me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using OB Talk mobile app

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

I've been using one of these for a while and it seems to help with clearing the bugs.. didn't notice how much until I left it unplugged for a bit. Draws about 50 amps to heat the water (although only for short periods) which is why I've unplugged it... looking to install a switch.
http://www.heatshot.com
I'm guessing you might have a bigger issue with bugs on the windscreen than I've had though!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

ASNOBODY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate II

Detroit, Michigan
Member #

Drive slower? *sarcasm* :)

Not sure what you're driving but have you considered a bug deflector up front (might help)? Rain-X bug remover works pretty well for me…despite my near vertical FJ windshield.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Here in MN, bugs are a thing. If the bugs bother me, I stop at a gas station, mop the windshield let it soak a minute and squeegee and then drive off.

As stated, a bug deflector of some kind may help, but depending on what kind of vehicle, it seems to be hit and miss on that.

Dean

Rank 0

Traveler I

Best pro-tip I have: Windex. Regular windshield washer fluid is nothing more than blue water. It has a mild detergent and an additive to keep it from freezing. Beyond that, it's water. As such it's pretty much useless on bug-guts. Windex has ammonia in it which is really good for dissolving bug-guts. Now, DO NOT PUT WINDEX IN YOUR WASHER RESIVOUIR. That same ammonia that disolves bug-guts also does the same thing to your car's paint. Best bet is to keep a spray-bottle of it behind your seat. When it get's bad, spray the windshield and wait a few seconds. Then either hit it with the build-in sprayer and your wipres or with the squeegie at the gas station. Give it one rinse to clean the windshield and one rinse to flush the stuff off your paint. I pretty much spray down my windshield with Windex every time I stop for fuel and sometimes even reach around and spray the windshield while stopped at a trafic light. The windshield on the LJ might as well be tagged "Bug Killer 5,000." It catches everything.

Also, make sure to clean your wipers on a regular basis. Seems silly, but a dirty wiper will just smear or skip over bugs. If you wipe it down it will get a sharper contact to the glass and help push bug guts away. I try and take a papertown and run the blade a few times on each side till it feels smooth and the bulk of the grime is off. This is also a solid pro-tip after following someone down a dirt road. Keeps the wipers from becoming sand-paper and scratching up your windshield.

ColoradoRick

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Central Coast CA
Member #

I've been using one of these for a while and it seems to help with clearing the bugs.. didn't notice how much until I left it unplugged for a bit. Draws about 50 amps to heat the water (although only for short periods) which is why I've unplugged it... looking to install a switch.
http://www.heatshot.com
I'm guessing you might have a bigger issue with bugs on the windscreen than I've had though!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
OK, this looks interesting. I definitely will be looking into this. Thanks.
--
Rick

Reactions: Tim

ColoradoRick

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Central Coast CA
Member #

Drive slower? *sarcasm* :)

Not sure what you're driving but have you considered a bug deflector up front (might help)? Rain-X bug remover works pretty well for me…despite my near vertical FJ windshield.
Also in an FJ. not sure if jeeps have this same problem. I have tried the rain-x, problem is how much I go through in my obsession to not let the splat dry.