Launch Member

Traveler III

Somerset. United Kingdom
First Name
Bjorn
Last Name
Whistance
Member #

Just wondering what people do in the summer to stop yourself getting eaten alive by bugs. I cook out of the back of my truck (see photo for set-up and I will also sleep in the back when I’m on my own. People with a similar set-up, what do you do to a) stop the bugs eating you alive while cooking and b) stop them all ending up Isidre your truck when you are ready to go to bed?

I’m personally thinking about the Scottish Midge but I believe you get something similar in parts of America and Canada.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Phil Preston

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Shelbyville, KY USA
First Name
Phil
Last Name
Preston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4LET
Service Branch
First Responder
I personally use Deet 100 spray and all the insects leave me alone. And let me tell you if I don't and there is one mosquito within a hundred yards of me, it WILL bite me.... Good luck out there.

Reactions: FJCRUZA and Bjorn

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

I've only recently learned about this product myself, but it's called permethrin. I read that unlike some Picaridin and DEET, Permethrin is an insecticide so it'll actually deter and kill. I plan to test it out myself in the spring once the bugs start to run rampant. The videos I've seen use this product on clothing and camp gear by either a soak or spray bottle.

As a side note, all the issues you put out there are exactly the reasons I don't cook out of the back of the rig, including the smell which tends to linger.

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

We've used permethrine for years on cattle to keep the flies off and as a premise spray around the house.

The thermocell bug deterrents use a derivative of it.

Don't let cats get in to it though. It'll cause acute nervous system damage, and if they survive, significant liver and kidney damage. Grew up in a vet clinic, it isn't pretty.

For camping I'll take the thermocell, bug zapper bulb and a mosquito net.

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

The poison helps, but you're actually just poisoning yourself as well.

Bugs are simply part of the "Great Outdoors" and we build stronger immune systems because of it.

So, shut up and eat yer bugs...............

:yum:

DesertFox

Rank III

Advocate II

California
Member #

Most of my camping is in the desert so flies are the biggest problem for me. The desert flies bite and the bites leave welts that itch and take a long time to go away. No matter how hot it is, I always wear long pants and long sleeves, leaving very little exposed skin.

Scorpions are also a concern, though not nearly as much as the flies. I always wear enclosed shoes because scorpions sometimes bury themselves in the sand with only their tails sticking out (which can be difficult to see). If you step on one accidentally and you are wearing sandals/flip-flops, the tail can still sting you on the side or top of your foot depending on how long it is.

Like LostInSocal said, I never cook in the back of the rig as it would take me forever to get all of the flies out, and the cooking odors can linger. This would be especially bad if I was sleeping in the truck.

I've never seen a net that would fit over the rear opening but you'd think some company must make one.

Sent from my HTC U11 using OB Talk mobile app

smlobx

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mid Atlantic
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Fort
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4CPL
Permethrin is a great product as you apply it to your clothing and will not affect you. All of our military uniforms are treated with it and I can tell you that it works very well.

We also use "The Clam" screened shelter which takes less than a minute to set up and we can if necessary cook inside that.

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I usually use deet spray, but I hate the grimey feeling that you get with it on the skin. It makes getting clean even harder (either with adventure wipes or a shower).

I have this Thermacell setup in my amazon camping list. I am thinking about trying it out this next year.

Eddiebrs

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Phoenix, Az, USA
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Barrows
Member #

I was born and raised in south florida and mosquitoes are just a way of life here around so much moisture. Murphy's right bug are just part of the outdoors. with that being said, I have tried dozens of repelants over the years and at the end of the day, good ol fashioned DEET and netting will save your skin. I would maybe try to put an awning up behind your truck with some netting and spray up

Bjorn

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Somerset. United Kingdom
First Name
Bjorn
Last Name
Whistance
Member #

I was born and raised in south florida and mosquitoes are just a way of life here around so much moisture. Murphy's right bug are just part of the outdoors. with that being said, I have tried dozens of repelants over the years and at the end of the day, good ol fashioned DEET and netting will save your skin. I would maybe try to put an awning up behind your truck with some netting and spray up
I generally don’t bother about bugs but I’m talking serious swarms here. With the Scottish midge you can literally disappear into a black cloud of biting itchy bugs. I was hoping someone would have a clip on net of some sort over the back of their truck. I’m not a fan of deet as someone mentioned earlier, you are literally poisoning yourself. I do use something called ‘Smidge’ which is good at keeping them off me but really looking for a net to put up while cooking.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

You can buy window and solar screen material that will keep most bugs out. There are also screens in standard tarp dimensions.

FJCRUZA

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Utah
Have you looked into an ARB awning and mosquito net? Because of your rear door set up you would have to have it on the side of the vehicle but it would allow you more room for cooking or to sit and as others mentioned your ride wouldn't smell like food.

http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-Awnings-Accessories-C54.aspx

Another option would be a rear tent made for your vehicle. Scroll to the bottom of the link for lots of examples or enter your vehicle info.

https://www.carid.com/nissan-pathfinder-tents/