Bug Out Emergency Grab Bag For Overlanders

• HTML tutorial

OlyWaFJ

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Olympia, Washington USA
Member #

Good to see you here Corey, what's it been 7-8 years? Nice to see you still have the original 07, I sold my black cherry a couple years ago and picked up the one owner FZJ80 I drive today. Its been a long time, hope our paths cross again soon.

Ripley1046

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY
Don't have time to watch the vid at the moment, but I'm never too far from my bug out bag. I have some small ones that live in the daily vehicles, but bigger trips (more than 40 miles or so) I take the full kit. On top of my EDC which is a pretty complete kit on it's own.

I think it's important to be able to walk away from the vehicle, something I haven't seen too much of in learning about overlanding.

Knife
Fire
Shelter
Water
Food

In that order. Food not really being a priority for a few days. Remember the rule of threes. You can survive...

3 minutes without air
3 hours without shelter (in harsh environments)
3 days without water
3 weeks without food

Give me a good knife, and I can make the rest happen if need be. That said, I try to have a basic kit close at all times. Also, 2 is 1, 1 is none. Expect things to break when it's least convenient.

HattZ

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

redmond, wa
Member #

that guy is pretty cool. like his vids. I've got a couple bags that make this idea up, but nothing dedicated to this exact purpose. I also don't wander off the beaten path far enough.. something to think about though as vehicle and skills expand.

Voodoo 1

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edmonds, WA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Hoskins
Member #

Hi Guys,
Thought I might chime in here, I like the vid. And I like being prepared.
I am ready to bug out, at any time. Even more now, then when that photo was taken off my Jeep.
But the thing I really enjoy about these forums, YouTube, etc., is the ideas, insight, and tips, that we all share. ~thanks, cheers

Attachments

Corey

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Auburn, WA.
Member #

Good to see you here Corey, what's it been 7-8 years? Nice to see you still have the original 07, I sold my black cherry a couple years ago and picked up the one owner FZJ80 I drive today. Its been a long time, hope our paths cross again soon.
It has been a long time.
Yes, the FJ has been good to me, and it has been getting a lot of upgrades since summer of 2016.
Sounds like you have a very nice 80 now.

Hey, we are having local meetups at ARB headquarters in Auburn, WA., maybe you can make it to the next one which should not be very far off.
Here are some pics I took in December.
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/puget-sound-meetup-at-arb-12-9-2107.11572/

Michael is the organizer of the event, you may know him, he is in SARs too.
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/puget-sound-overland-and-coffee-at-arb-12-09-2017.11225/

Reactions: OlyWaFJ