Sellersburg, IN, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Cox
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Sorry I don't understand. If you are on the move all the time... Than why are you posting on a solar panel thread? Buy another battery, an isolater, and a higher performance alternator... AND call it a day!

I thought this thread was about use of solar panels? If you are so "hip and always on the move" than why are you posting on this thread seeing is how you have no use for them? Sorry, I'm just curious as to why?
Did you not READ single battery with SOLAR setup Solar panel will be affixed to the vehicle . does that help your curiosity

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

Last trip did something like that minus the solar panels " usually drive till almost dark before we stop for the night" wouldn't have much sun. Can't charge jackery and run fridge at the same time only one 12v socket. also the way the 12v socket cuts off power after 2hr, throw the low voltage on the fridge before it would switch over to the jackery. anyway thanks for the advice.
Sorry cant help more FWIW I have the jackery plugged into the truck and fridge in the jackery.

BPCLFD

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

Sellersburg, IN, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Cox
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Last trip did something like that minus the solar panels " usually drive till almost dark before we stop for the night" wouldn't have much sun. Can't charge jackery and run fridge at the same time only one 12v socket. also the way the 12v socket cuts off power after 2hr, throw the low voltage on the fridge before it would switch over to the jackery. anyway thanks for the advice.
Sorry cant help more FWIW I have the jackery plugged into the truck and fridge in the jackery.
Yep that is a simple easy setup which works my my buddy which has a jeep. Thats the simple way I wanted to go also unfortunately the bronco doesn’t like it

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
We use a RedARC manager 30 with a 100ah amazon special lipo battery. the DCDC portion of the manager 30 will recharge the house battery from 20% to full in two or three hours of driving, we also have (2)100 watt solar panels set up with a 30 foot extension cord with Anderson connectors that we can plug in when stationary to keep the system topped off. So far the 100ah has been sufficient for two days camping with plenty of reserve and as such do not carry the solar panels unless we are going to an expo or somewhere where we will be parked for several days. The fridge has been running since we put it in the Jeep so its ready to go and if that is the only load on the house battery will go for almost a full week before we need to drive the Jeep or plug it in to the shore power section of the manager 30. With a soft shell tent on a JK there is not much roof top real estate for a permanent mount panel. Plan is to install a small panel on a pull out slide under the roof rack that we can leave out when parked in the driveway just to keep the battery topped off.

Sea Diamond

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Sea
Last Name
Diamond
So as the thread says "solar on a budget"

Building your own battery pack is considerably cheaper than some of those high end units that actually last. A quality lithium battery and a small inventory of small parts it's quite easy.

As for solar panels, I mounted 2 x 50w on the roof (perfect for Jeep owners) wired in series that charge while driving. Mounted with 2 sided tape. Then 2 x 100w panels loose and tucked between the roll bars and roof while driving. Again wired in series. (why series...I find it better to add the voltage together so minimum voltage is maintained during cloudy periods)

Lastly...a dependable MPPT charge control that doesn't have to break the bank. My wife and I are in camps for weeks at times...running the fridge...lights...phones and computers. 200w just barely cuts it on cloudy days. A fridge blanket certainly helps.

Attachments