Budget Friendly Digital Photography (Cameras and Gear)

• HTML tutorial

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
That's probably a fair observation. I've just known people that spend thousands on camera gear and all they do is post highly compressed images to facebook or instagram. It's like buying a really expensive sports car but never doing a track day and only doing city driving in it. I'm not saying that's what you're doing or that I think you're wrong looking for a nice camera, just making a general point of paying for functionality or performance that would be utilized.

Another piece of take it or leave it advice: I don't know if in your area you have access to any decent dedicated photography stores but in my area there are at least four brick and mortars that I know of that do rentals. It might be worth renting one for a weekend to try it out and see if you get the desired results.

Either way, good luck and I hope you find what you're looking for.
The only camera store close to me is Walmart or bestbuy 2 hours away... so internet shopping... checked Walmart today, and nothing close to what we are looking for.

Munga Brown

US Northwest Region Member Rep Oregon
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

Some of my favorite images have been taken with an old bellows camera from 1910 (4x5) and a pair of plastic Holgas. I've actually won awards in juried competitions with images taken from them. It's not about the camera or lens nearly as much as it is about composition & camera angle.

I've taken images with my iPhone 11Pro that I'm ok with. They've been used to capture images & video used in broadcast (ie big money media buys. You don't use "meh" images when you're paying hundreds of thousands of dollars to produce an ad campaign, then millions of dollars to place said ad campaign).

It aint the gear. It's the user. I consider "photography" to be an art.

Enjoy!

:laughing:

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Holga's are so much fun. It's crappy that there is no place close by to me to develop 120 film anymore. Congrats on the new camera @ the roses! I am shooting with two older fujifilms. A x10 and x-s1. both have the same processing engine and sensor so my photos look the same no matter what camera I am using. The x10 is for walking about the cities and towns. the x-S1 is for getting long range shots with it's fantastic zoom lens. Its a great combo thats light to carry around without lugging a bunch of lenses and stuff.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Autism Family Travels
Holga's are so much fun. It's crappy that there is no place close by to me to develop 120 film anymore. ...
There are a number of places where you can mail in your 120 for developing. (Look into Old School Photo Lab and TheDarkroom.com) Also check with your local CVS or Walgreens Pharmacy photo centers some still have the option to process 120/220 and provide prints or PhotoCD's.

Another option is to go Black and White and Develop at home. Kodak, Fuji and Ilford all still make great BW 120 films. A black bag, 2-3 roll cylinder, reels, chems and bottles can be had for between $100 and $150. Paterson/Ilford sell BW developing a startup kit for $100 (35mm though I think pick up a 120 Super4 real and can use it for both.) Only think I can think of missing from the kit is the Film Squeegee which should be under $20. Be sure to collect the chems and check your local waste water regulations for proper disposal. Around here we can't just pour the used chems down the drain. You might even get paid for the used chems as outfits can recover the silver that was washed away from the negs. Look to see if your local Community Collage or University has a Visual Arts program they often still have full darkrooms and may offer audit or adult ed classes that grant access to the facilities. Some even rent the dark rooms out hourly. May not be all that close but I'd think St John's is a big enough city to offer something like this.

Add a good film scanner or watch your local craiglsilst for a full darkroom setup of enlargers and printing trays and other printing equipment (if you have a room that can be blacked out with running water).

Boort

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Reactions: M Rose

KRose

Rank IV
Benefactor
Launch Member

Contributor II

La Grande, OR, USA
First Name
Kallie
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Attachments

Reactions: Boort and Road

BrassMonkeyAdventures

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Broad Ripple, Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
B
Last Name
J
Member #

I shoot a Nikon D810 and a range of lens and filters etc. But honestly find my self using my Luminix Lx 10 and the images are pretty dam close quality to the Nikon. Don’t think you need a body and a bunch of lenses. Tech in the point and shoots can be easy to use and get better results. Save yourself $9K

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I shoot a Nikon D810 and a range of lens and filters etc. But honestly find my self using my Luminix Lx 10 and the images are pretty dam close quality to the Nikon. Don’t think you need a body and a bunch of lenses. Tech in the point and shoots can be easy to use and get better results. Save yourself $9K
9,000 or 900... we spent 900 for our D7500 3 lenses, and filters , along with other accessories pictures in the box @KRose opened earlier in this thread.
As for Point and shoot.... the mountain in the first picture is about 30 miles away from where we took the picture as the crow flies. Can a point and shoot get that quality of zoom at such great distances?

Reactions: Boort