Budget Friendly Digital Photography (Cameras and Gear)

• HTML tutorial

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Wow 2020 is the year of picking up new hobbies for my wife and I. Neither one of us have ever owned a decent camera. Meaning we have owned decent point and shoots in both 35mm and digital. But we are wanting to get into higher end camera bodies with interchangeable photo lenses.

We want to go used to save some money.

Bodies, we are looking at Nikon and Canon. Really like the Cannon. What Pixel rating should we be looking for?

For lenses we are clueless. We want to take panoramic photos, portraits, as well as those distant shots of elk grazing several hundred yards away.

Also we know nothing about Go-Pros and I think I might want one of them as well for my rc truck. As well as our adventure mobiles.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Slimpartywagon

Mike

Good Morning. I think I can help provide some things to think about. I've been a serious amateur photographer for over 20 years. In that time I have shot with a lot of gear from the simple Pentax K1000, progressing to a full Medium Format Mamiya 645 setup, and finally into Fuji then Nikon in the digital world. During this time the vast majority of my gear has been purchased 2nd hand. (Including my current digital kit and all but a few lenses that were bought new or gifted to me new). I make the following suggestions based on this background. (Grab a drink this may take a while :D )
  1. Much like Overlanding... Buy once; Cry once.
    Decide what is important to you and where your current kit is lacking that you would like to achieve.
    Research how to get the results you want. Start with Technique over gear. Some of the most famous photos were taken with bulk film and a 50mm equivalent lens.
    Understand that right now when choosing to go with an interchangeable lens camera (DSLR or Mirrorless) you are picking a system. Consider if what you pick has room for you to grow w/o replacing everything. (Or commit to just sell it all off every couple of years and use the $ to fund the next upgrade.) Spend extra to get the best on the items likely to be of use the longest. This is like picking a Jeep vs Toyota vs Subaru... once you buy you are locked in to the accessory pool available for that choice. Some accessories can be used across multiple platforms many others can't.

2. Megapixels are not the be all end all of digital photography. More megapixels allow for more options for cropping in post processing and still being able to print high quality prints.
    Noise and Dynamic range are more important sensor considerations than MP but so much harder to quantify into a number.

3. Lenses are what make your photos and have more bearing on your end result than almost anything else except the skills you develop behind the camera.

4. Once you have your needs and budget written down head to DPReview. Check out their buying guides (Best cameras and lenses: 2020 DPReview Buying Guides) for your current budget and the next one up (since you mentioned buying used you may be able to get the equip from that bracket.) As you start to narrow down the gear you are considering use their database to compare feature to feature (Side-by-side camera comparison: Digital Photography Review : Digital Photography Review) I wish there was tool like this for everything I was considering buying! Focus on the 5 features that are important to you, don't let all of the different tech blather scare you off.

5. As you narrow down to say 5 cameras consider renting the equipment for a weekend trip. There are ergonomics that play a large role in how well you work with a given camera body. An example as much as i LOVE the pictures that are coming from the last few rounds of Sony mirrorless cameras, the camera is just plain uncomfortable in my hands. The buttons are in places that makes it hard for me to reach. Contrast this to the similar sized Fuji's which seem to fit better and have better button placement.

The local big camera shop, Mikes Camera, has put together a Lens Demo Day / Test Drive event at various places around town (Zoos, Botanic gardens, etc) for the last many years. They have the big manufacturers bring in truck loads of gear and let you play with it for free! These events were great ways to test out a lot of gear very quickly and affordably. Here are links to the events last fall:
    Demo Day at Sacramento Zoo | Mike's Camera
    Demo day at Denver botanic gardens | Mike's Camera
    Demo Day at Cheyenne Mountain Zoo | Mike's Camera
    I've used these events to borrow 4 camera setups in a day take them to the same 5 spots at the zoo and get comparison photos that I could take home and review. This really helped me to decide on what I wanted.

6. Places to shop for used gear:
    B&H Photo - (B&H Photo Video Digital Cameras, Photography, Camcorders) Click on Used on the Right side of the green banner. Consider their credit card to save paying the tax.
    Adorama - (Shop Pre-Owned Cameras, Lenses, Accessories and More) Click on Used on the Right side of the top banner.
    KEH - (Used Cameras, Lenses & Gear For Sale | Buy & Sell at KEH Camera) all used
    I've purchased used and new from all of these companies and recommend them all. Their ratings systems for used gear are similar and fair. Prices generally reflect actual condition

Don't rule out shopping locally. You might pay a bit more (or they price match online) but you can get hands on and the shops around here often include free classes when you buy a setup from them.
    Around here we have Mikes Camera (CO and Nor-Cal) that I think still do this today.

Ebay, Craigslist, other P2P online marketplaces and apps... I've used these but you really need to know what you are buying, how to quickly test it thoroughly, Check for Stolen, and when it's best to walk out on a deal.
    Great deals can be had and I've purchased a lot of equipment from these sites but also encountered a LOT of scams. I've been good about trusting my gut and walked away from a number of sketchy situations. There's little else that will get your adrenaline pumping like meeting someone you don't know in a Walgreens parking lot in a sketchy area of town, at night to make a $2000 deal on a digital camera. Safety steps were taken and all turned out OK, I still use the camera I bought that day but...... things could have gone wrong.

7. Regardless of what camera you get make sure you have a camera that supports FULL MANUAL Operation. Since you've spent time in the Point&shoot world you are familiar with the various shooting modes that your cameras have offered, each of these modes was a preset weighting for the 3 points of the Exposure Triangle. Once you understand this relationship you will be able to take pictures in any situation. I recommend starting here:

8. Speaking of Youtube... Adorama and B&H Photo both provide GREAT resources on their YT channels for stepping up to better gear. Lots of photographers with excellent channels on specific topics. Some favs that go with the nature/Overlanding photography for after you make your decision:
    • Nick Page - Oregon based Landscape Photog. (This recent video "5 tips for New Photographers - Advice I wish I would have received" fits in to this discussion very well! )
    • Thomas Heaton - Overlander/backpacker from the UK, Funny and easy to watch, lots of behind the scenes info. Also shows when to put the camera away and just enjoy being in the outdoors!
    • Hudson Henry Photography - His Approaching the Scene series will help improve the thought process that goes into taking great pictures.
    • Alyn Wallace - UK Photog with a love for dark night skys. Must watch if you want to take pics at night (advanced topic but one of my favorites)
    • Sean Bagshaw - Great post processing teacher Think how to use Adobe's tools to get the best form what you've taken
    • Steve Perry - Nikon shooter who literally wrote the book on the Nikon AF system. If you go Nikon and plan to shoot more of those elk in the distance spend some time here!
    • Tony & Chelsea Northrup - Good reviews across the major camera lines. Try to ignore some of the more clickbait-y videos. They some times post videos that go against convention just to be controversial; But the technical recommendations and opinions are generally given with well thought out reasons.

Final points to address your post:
Lenses for "full frame sensor" cameras:​
Landscapes: 24mm-35mm​
People: 50mm-110mm (groups 28mm/35mm)​
Elk/Large Wildlife: 300mm+​
Night-scapes: Wide (14mm-35mm) but max aperture wider that 2.8 (IE f1.4-2.8 are good)​
Brands DSLR and Mirrorless -​
Nikon: Great bodies and the best lens selection can use all but the oldest lenses on modern DSLRS​
Canon: Great bodies and the best lens selection can some old lenses on modern DSLRS due to various lens mounts​
Sony: Some of the best sensors on the market in the Alpha series, Lens selection much smaller, Getting better each year and can run many Canon lenses with an adapter​
Fuji: Some of the best skin tones of any cameras I've used. Small lens selection​
Olympus: More compact Mirrorless and some Tough, waterproof, Point and Shoot Models (TG-5)​
Pentax: Great bodies competes with Nikon/Canon on features and lens selection, weather sealed and in body VR/IS across the line up. (IIRC)​
CellPhones: Modern flagship phones (Samsung Galaxy S10, IPhone 10/11, Google Pixel) should be considered as a way to augment your camera and can take many of the pics you want amazingly well!​
GoPro: Have one, don't really use it. Best someone else speak on action cams.​

Disclaimer: All views expressed in this post are my own PERSONAL OPINION and do not represent the opinions, marketing direction, sponsorship or endorsement by OverlandBound, any of the people / companies I mention, or any other entity whatsoever with which I have been, am now, or will be affiliated. Do with this information what you will.

Let me know if you have any questions about any of the above. I'm happy to go into more detail or explain my thinking behind the statements above.
Boort

Edited: to add back in the URLs after working with @Jim SoG on the SPAM Filter, and Add a note on Olympus that got lost during initial posting.

Last edited:

Nolamedic

Rank II

Enthusiast II

The above is GREAT advice and there's not much for me to add per se.....I might be able to simplify a bit. First, some background.....

I prefer wildlife photography and very rarely do landscape. In fact, I don't even have a landscape lens. From what I can tell, most "landscape guys" have a lot of lenses based on what situation they're going to be shooting. Most wildlife guys only have a couple-but they're expensive. Expensive can range from 1200ish to start.....up to 14k for the top end. I bought a "cheap" DSLR/real camera to start. With that camera I got an upgraded kit that came with a 300mm nikon zoom lens(I can't remember if it's 70-300 or 55-300, but it's the cheaper of the two). The camera I went with is the nikon D5300. That has sufficed for me up until now. I'm not great, but I can take holiday pics(with my 35mm prime-a lens that doesn't zoom) that people get framed when I email them. Think of the d5300 as a rav4. Can it do Overlanding? Yes, it can, but it's more of a family car with AWD. It'll suffice if one can't afford to get better gear, and truly the photographer can make a huge difference, but if one can afford a TRD-Pro they're going to go that route.

So, D-5300 or any of the D5X00 series, are GREAT for beginners. Would I go this route again? NO! I would spend a little more and get a nikon D-7x00 series. It takes much better low light pictures. I won't go into the details of why-it just does. For a great beginner camera, the nikon d7500 is great. Probably one of the best crop sensor(more on this later) cameras on the market. This camera will set you back 900 or so, maybe a little more. This is what I wish I would have started with.

d-5300 is a rav4
d-7100 is a subaru with a lift....It can do substantially more and it's a little more refined....that's probably the best way to explain this...

Now, these two camera models are "crop sensor" cameras. For simplicity sake, the crop sensor is just that, a sensor that's not as big as a "full frame" camera and it doesn't collect as much light. Can some of this be overcome with expensive, fast lenses? Yes. (fast in the camera world means it does well in low light with fast moving objects)......Is it ever going to overcome those deficiencies? Not really.

Enter the full frame camera. This is what the pros use-and for good reason. Let's call these the true 4x4 SUV's. You can get a TRD Pro or a land cruiser. It's up to your wallet. The sensor is bigger and the pixels are actually bigger-usually-and they collect more light. They will show deeper, richer colors and you will take more frame-worthy pictures. I won't go into specific models, but they typically start around 1500 and go up from there.

Where I am in my photography journey and what I would do differently:
I originally bought a nikon d-5300. Why this one? Because at the time I didn't know how much better equipped the d7100 was for low-light photography. As someone who enjoys wildlife photography low-light performance is the most important thing next to zoom. I MAINLY purchased the d5300 because I could transfer pics directly from my camera to my phone using the Nikon APP. I would highly suggest the ability to do this and increasing your icould storage if you really enjoy photography, but picture storage is an entirely separate topic. After maxing out my skills, as much as I could, with my d5300 and 300mm zoom lens, I have recently come to the conclusion I needed either a better lens or a better camera. Now, a previous poster stated lenses were a determining factor and they were 100 percent accurate. If you have a 1200 dollar lens on a 300 dollar camera, you're much better off than a 1500 dollar camera and 100 dollar lens-which is the exact situation I had to pick from. So, naturally, I chose the lens. Keep in mind this lens(Nikon 200-500) will also work on a full frame camera in the future when I get one. That's where I am right now and if you'll dm me I'll send you some pictures to show you what's capable with a cheap lens and camera setup-from a novice.

What I wish I had done:
d7100 and spend the money on a weekend photography course. Could I have gotten a full frame camera and been done? Yes, but most people have a backup camera and a d7100 would have been a great backup camera-unlike the d5300 which just isn't going to cut it for professional pictures usually. I used youtube and taught myself as much as I could and honestly would've been better off picking up a saturday of overtime to pay for a course. I highly recommend this route.

LENSES

How much you spend will be determined by what you enjoy. If you enjoy wildlife, it's about to get real expensive real fast depending on how good you want to be. From what I understand, one can make up for a lot of lens deficits with a good tripod and planning if you're shooting LANDSCAPE. Wildlife it's a little different. That said, with a 300mm zoom kit lens, 18-55 kit lens, and purchasing an additional 35mm prime lens you can get some damn good pictures if you figure out the controls.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. I'm no pro but I am in a situation you'll be in before too long. I also recommend an adobe lightroom subscription and spending 1/3 as much time figuring out lightroom as you do actually taking pictures until you learn your way around lightroom. It's awesome and can make decent pictures great. Feel free to hit me up with anything you'd like to know.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Thanks for the advice guys... Keep it coming. @KRose is in charge of this hobby, so you have to convince her ;) so she I turn influences my wallet. Lol

KRose

Rank IV
Benefactor
Launch Member

Contributor II

La Grande, OR, USA
First Name
Kallie
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Boort and @Nolamedic what are your thoughts on this package deal?

@KRose

A few things kick off my "spidy senses" on that deal:
  1. "Item location: Brooklyn, New York, United States"
  2. Nikon Camera + "Sellers Warranty: 30 Days" + "Version: Import"
  3. The nature of the kit product packaging.

Understand that I'm in no way knocking Brooklyn NYC (spent a lot of time there) but I've been burned by shady sellers that call Brooklyn home. Digging a bit deeper in to the feedback for "redtagcamera" They seem to have been around a while and most of the feedback is on camera gear including kits like the one you posted. This is better than most of these shops which are fly by night operations, well the operation is not so much fly by night but the store front is. Basically a shady dealer will create, or buy and existing eBay acct with good feedback then setup shop under their good name and churn out crap deals, when the feedback catches up to them... fold the front and move on to the next one do the same thing. Here is a link to an old Computer world article that sums up a lot of the bad behavior to look for. Brooklyn camera stores: The scam stops here

Nikon has some annoying oddities surrounding standing behind their equipment. NikonUSA brands, stickers, and logs the serial numbers it brings into the USA. Nikon USA will NOT repair any gear that was not imported by NikonUSA. Nikon gear that was bought "import" or "gray market" is basically disposable in the USA. They will NOT sell parts or camera repair details to 3rd party repair places anymore. Seller Warranty IMHO are generally phooey. 3rd Party warrenties like "MACK" are better but I've heard horror stories. This combo puts the deal into "Used off craigslist" regardless of new status of any of the equipment. Make sure that it is priced accordingly cause if it breaks you're out.

Kit product packaging... Much like buying overlanding gear there is usually one good thing in the kit that you want and a bunch of high profit margin filler to make it look like a good deal. Looking at this kit I see the following, with rankings and descriptions that are my opinion:

Good first quality equipment:
Nikon D7500 Camera​
Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR AF-P DX NIKKOR Zoom Lens​
Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro Autofocus Lens for Nikon AF​

These 3 pieces are the reason you are considering this in the first place. Nikon (and most other camera Manufacturers) have a MAP policy where stores get in trouble if they sell equipment below a set price. so to build profit margins they create "kits" to make it look like a deal. The D7500 and 18-55mm are a pretty standard kit setup and are well matched. Adding the 70-300 gets you a great all around setup. Tamron has come a long way in the last 10 years so this lens could be really close in quality to the non-VR Nikon 70-300mm that I use.

Questionable filler equipment:
  • Unbranded 500mm f/8.0 High-Power Telephoto Lens & T-Mount adapter for Nikon
    These 2 items are really one that they broke up to make the kit look bigger. you can't use this lens w/o the t-mount adapter. These lenses sell on eBay and elsewhere for $55-$120 in various names, colors, kits and configurations. Yes they are 500mm but they are manual focus and fixes apature at f8 so can only really be used in full bright sunlight. Advice: camera provides 20MP, use the 300mm at F5.6 and crop in software. You'll still be able to show off that morning 12 pt Elk bull online and print out clean up to about 8x10"

• Large Deluxe Digital SLR Backpack
    Looks like a good pack, If it's padded and holds all of the gear use it till it wears out.

• Transcend 16GB SDHC & 8GB SDHC Class 10 Memory Cards
    These are low to mid level performance, cards. They show different pics for the 16GB card so not sure if you will get the low of slightly better version. Also the blue cards pictured are older models. they will be good to get you started but backup your pics to your phone or laptop often. Advice: When budget allows look into getting larger 32 or 64GB cards from the "Sony SF-G", "Lexar Professional", or "SanDisk Extreme Pro" lines. DO NOT BUY SDCARDS from AMAZON! I have received lots of bad cards from Amazon and will no longer buy from them. Including counterfeits, incorrectly sized, and DOA. (they were great about rerutning and replacing, which is how I got lots, then refunding my $ w/o hassle) I now buy these only from B&H, Adorama, or locally.

• Digital Slave Flash with bracket
    This could prove useful for some staged pics but not likely right away, and will depend on how well made it is.

• MINI-INFRARED REMOTE CONTROL FOR NIKON
    These are great for selfies

• 55mm Multi-Coated 3 Piece Filter Kit (UV-CPL-FLD) / 62mm Multi-Coated UV Filter
    These filters are likely junk but can be used for some creative photos.
    The UV filters are basically a piece of glass that can be used to protect the front of your lens from mist or fingerprints but will degrade sharpenss and often cause unwanted flares
    CPL is shorthand for Circular polarizer these can be used to remove glare from glass or water on bright sunny days. Can make skys look weird on wide lenses or when stitching panos.
    FLD is a Fluorescent to Daylight Filter in film days these were used to remove the green cast caused by crappy Fluorescent lights. Lights have gotten better and this problem is generally solved in software either in teh camera by picking color balance at time of shot or in software like Lightroom/PS after the fact.

• 55mm Hard Tulip Shaped Lens Hood (Black)
    This lens hood will be used on the 18-55 to help stop sun flares.

Likely junk:
  • 55mm High Definition Wide Angle Lens & 55mm 2X Professional Telephoto Lens
    Calling these camera lenses is a stretch. They are really filters that add often uncorrectable distortion and color shifts to your pictures. Artistic usage maybe but not likely something you would buy for a DSLR.

• 60-Inch Pro Series Full Size Camera/Video Tripod
    Junk. Of all of the things included in this kit this one irks me the most. Lost a camera to one of these POS tripods. Temp dropped heard a "CrecT" of the tripod breaking then "crash" as the brand new camera landed on it's top breaking the flash and viewfinder. throw it away, use it for holding the slave flash, or maybe a gopro in it's protective case. But PLEASE don't put your brand new DSLR on top of this tripod.

• Flexible Tripod
    Same as above

• USB 2.0 Memory Card Reader / Universal Lens Cap Keeper / Memory Card Wallet / 3 Piece Deluxe Cleaning kit / Ultra Clear screen protectors
    All just cheep stuff you likely don't need.

If Items 1 and 2 don't bother you and this is the best price you can find for the D7500 + the 2 lenses, go for it.
I might consider a bundle more like this:
  • This is the same D7500 and 18-55mm Nikon lens
  • Swaps the Tamron for the Nikon 70-300mm (After more review the Tamron actually has a slightly better spec for the F-stop at the long end f5.6 vs f6.3, so better may come down to sharpness and AF speed. Side by Side Comparison Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro vs. Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G: Digital Photography Review compares them side by side. The Tamron may be the better lens here.)
  • Larger SD card (but still midlevel Trancend)
    Vivitar Battery Grip for the Nikon D7500 - for me having a grip is almost required. I need the extra size to allow me to set my ring finger and pinky properly to stabilize the camera when hand holding. The 3rd party grips are not as full featured as the Nikon versions but cost a lot less. These are great for taking portraits and some can carry an extra battery. (Not sure about the battery on this model, but the ones I' have used allow a battery in teh body and one in the grip. some also offer the backup of using 8 easy to get AA batteries in an emergency.) If you want you can also pick this grip up for ~$30-$40 (Vello and Neewer offer similar grips likely all 3 are made in the same China factory)
  • No garbage tripod!
  • Other stuff in kit is about the same as above.
For a <$200 more consider:
  • This eliminates my concerns #1 and 2.
  • Upgrades both lenses to VR (vibration reduction) which allows handheld shooting in lower light.
  • 32GB SD card (Sandisk IIRC though exact specs not mentioned online)
  • 2 Nikon batteries
  • Costco extended warranty, Can't say i've ever used this but Costco stands behind their products and is well known for doing what is right for customers.
You might get a lower price if your local stores are clearing out these kits after Xmas. If you are not a Costco member, this might be a reason to become one. (You can always return the membership before the year is up if you don't find any other use for it.)

Regards,
Boort

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@KRose @Slimpartywagon
While the Costco deal is still the best grab and go deal that I can find. Had a few mins to do some "shopping" this afternoon.

Found an some suggestions if you want to stay on the D7500 line of thought but pick and choose a bit more:
B&H:
Similar to the Costco kit, minus 1 battery and the memory card, but with no tax (Not sure if in Oregon that makes a difference but it's like 8%-10% here in CO.) and 12 months 0% financing WAC.
Also have the same kits used in 9+ and 10 condition as low as $1,016.95
Add on:
2x Sandisk 64GB Ex Pro SDHC cards - SanDisk 64GB Extreme PRO UHS-I SDXC Memory Card
1 compatible battery - Watson EN-EL15 Lithium-Ion Battery Pack (7.0V, 1900mAh)

Adorama:
Build your own kit... $1,076.75 + 1000 rewards points ($10 back to use towards a 2nd battery or case)
Refurb D7500 - Nikon D7500
Refurb Nikon AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm Lens - Nikon AF-P 18-55
New Nikon AF-P 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G VR - Nikon AF-P 70-300mm VR
2x Sandisk 64GB Ex Pro SDHC cards - SanDisk Extreme PRO V30 SD
Add on:
1 Nikon EN-EL15b battery - Nikon EN-EL15b

Something else to consider is the current offer form Nikon to try the Z50 for free for 30 days. (the 2 lens kit is $1,199.95)
:
The Z50 New Mirrorless body that is very similar to the D7500 in specs with improvements to the Focusing system and Rear screen, but smaller frame, 2/3rds the weight, and shorter battery life.

Comparison: Side by Side Comparison Nikon D7500 vs. Nikon Z50: Digital Photography Review

Adroama has it w/o the 30 day trial along with a few free accessories for $1,196.95

Boort

Last edited:
Reactions: Brewbud

Nolamedic

Rank II

Enthusiast II

There wasn’t much in the eBay kit you posted to make it worth buying. Honestly, I steer Clear of eBay. I either buy off of amazon(because they do a really cheap 3 year warranty and they’re good about honoring the warranty) or I find the best price for whatever items I want and go to Best Buy because they will price match online prices-but not auction sites like eBay. I also Don’t buy refurbished cameras. Lenses, yes, but not cameras.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I have the z50 kit and have been happy with it so far. I am at the very beginner stages though. Nice small camera. I got it with the lens adapter so I can put an Nikon lens on it. I also purchased one prime lens. Down the road I plan on buying a good one size fits all traveller lens. That way if I am not stationary I have a lens that can do most things and I don't have to worry about swapping lenses. I got mine via Amazon but it was Adorama that shipped it.

Get a good backpack. Yes, you can spend $500 but mine was around $80.

Reactions: Brewbud

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

I have the z50 kit and have been happy with it so far. I am at the very beginner stages though. Nice small camera. I got it with the lens adapter so I can put an Nikon lens on it. I also purchased one prime lens. Down the road I plan on buying a good one size fits all traveller lens.
I have the Nikon Z6 Mirrorless. That adapter is great for adapting older lenses to the camera. One tip I learned - if you have an older Nikon lens you use a lot it is a good idea to keep the adapter on the lens. The Z lens mount is very wide and in the excitement of a shoot, it would be easy to grab an older lens and go to mount it without the adapter on. That may cause you to accidentally hit the sensor with the older narrower lens. Ouch $$$

Reactions: 1Louder and Boort

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Here are some shots from today using the DX Kit 50-200mm lens with my z 50. I haven't edited any of these yet. This swarm buzzed me while I was on a ladder. I could tell it was making a home in this tree on our property line. I have a bee suit (yeah another random thing) so I quickly put it on and went out to shoot a bunch of photos. It was fun but I really don't know what the hell I am doing yet. This Ironwood tree has a huge hole in it. Every time we look at it we think a hive will end up there. Well today was the day. If they don't move along on their own we will have them safely removed. Most hives in AZ are africanized and you don't want to mess with them!

DSC_0215.JPG
fullsizeoutput_1ed3.jpeg

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I have the Nikon Z6 Mirrorless. That adapter is great for adapting older lenses to the camera. One tip I learned - if you have an older Nikon lens you use a lot it is a good idea to keep the adapter on the lens. The Z lens mount is very wide and in the excitement of a shoot, it would be easy to grab an older lens and go to mount it without the adapter on. That may cause you to accidentally hit the sensor with the older narrower lens. Ouch $$$
z6 was out of my budget. :) They seem like great camera. YouTube helps a ton. You just have to take the time to find the reviews you like and tutorials from different folks.

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

z6 was out of my budget. :) They seem like great camera. YouTube helps a ton. You just have to take the time to find the reviews you like and tutorials from different folks.
You will love the Z50. My reply was more about informing you about the tip to avoid potential to damage your camera.

Reactions: 1Louder

Stein

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Greenwood, SC, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Steinberg
Member #

My 2 cents....the absolute best camera is one that you will use. (most cases it’s an iPhone). I have been into dSLR in the past. Technology will always change with the camera body. Always spend the most you can afford on glass (lens).

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
My 2 cents....the absolute best camera is one that you will use. (most cases it’s an iPhone). I have been into dSLR in the past. Technology will always change with the camera body. Always spend the most you can afford on glass (lens).
My iPhone just isn’t cutting it anymore. Hence the search for a camera... like stated in the original post, point and shoots aren’t cutting it either. Trying to capture that one great shot with a generic camera has been leaving us very disappointed.

Reactions: Brewbud and Stein

The Gobbler

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Conifer, CO, USA
First Name
Noah
Last Name
Martin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0PGH
One more thing to consider is water resistance/proofness. Seeing that you live in Oregon, that might be a consideration for you. I have a Sony A7iii and I would never use it in the rain. Good Nikons and Canons have better weather protection.

Reactions: Brewbud and M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
One more thing to consider is water resistance/proofness. Seeing that you live in Oregon, that might be a consideration for you. I have a Sony A7iii and I would never use it in the rain. Good Nikons and Canons have better weather protection.
I love it when people say “Ohh you’re from Oregon, it rains a lot there...” Eastern Oregon is technically a desert. We get an average of 20” of rainfall a year... most of that comes between February and April.
I think we are settling for the Nikon Name. Its what my dad used for years and had he known I wanted a camera he would have given us his instead of giving it to his daughter-in-law.
Now I think we are down to selecting the right Camera and the right lenses for our needs. We are torn between the Z50 and the D7500. It seams that the Z50’s biggest downfall is the need of a lens adapter for older lenses. Also since the Z50 is a new model, finding one used is going to be harder than the D7500.
I guess where we are at with all of this is if we buy new, we can only afford a camera and possibly 3 lenses. @Boort linked a couple of good camera kits with about the same glasses, and similar pricing.
So if we were to go new with either the D7500 or the Z50, what would be your top 4 must have lenses?

Nolamedic

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Also, B&H has great reviews and I wouldnt Hesitate to buy from them. I just Prefer amazon prime because I’m comfortable with them.
I love it when people say “Ohh you’re from Oregon, it rains a lot there...” Eastern Oregon is technically a desert. We get an average of 20” of rainfall a year... most of that comes between February and April.
I think we are settling for the Nikon Name. Its what my dad used for years and had he known I wanted a camera he would have given us his instead of giving it to his daughter-in-law.
Now I think we are down to selecting the right Camera and the right lenses for our needs. We are torn between the Z50 and the D7500. It seams that the Z50’s biggest downfall is the need of a lens adapter for older lenses. Also since the Z50 is a new model, finding one used is going to be harder than the D7500.
I guess where we are at with all of this is if we buy new, we can only afford a camera and possibly 3 lenses. @Boort linked a couple of good camera kits with about the same glasses, and similar pricing.
So if we were to go new with either the D7500 or the Z50, what would be your top 4 must have lenses?
35mm prime, 18-55 kit lens, 70-300 kit lens. If I had The money to spend after and I wanted To do landscape probably get the 18-24 or 17-50.....for wildlife I’d go 200-500 Nikon. That would probably hold you over for a few years honestly. I’d 100 percent go with d7500 over the z series. For no particular reason other than I hate adaptors. Just one more thing for me to lose. But, I would Spend the extra and get a new body. New lenses, but new body. I’d go new body, used 17-50ish lens, used /70-300, used 200-500.

Reactions: Boort