BUDGET BUILDS

• HTML tutorial
S

softroad.406

Hello,

Wanted to see what people have done with their budget rigs to show what can be done under a tight budget.

<Please post a picture of rig>

Thanks

Reactions: Z71KANG.SD

Vantams

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Plain City, Utah
First Name
Kory
Last Name
Tams
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7UFV
I consider my rig "budget" because I haven't got a name brand lift or any aftermarket bumpers/armor... YET...

Most of the goodies I've added are from Amazon, 4Wheel Parts, Autozone and some army surplus gadgets. Nothing has given me any major issues, and anything that has, there's usually a home remedy for to prevent it happening again. Good luck my friend!

IMG_20190505_215555_270.jpg

S

softroad.406

I consider my rig "budget" because I haven't got a name brand lift or any aftermarket bumpers/armor... YET...

Most of the goodies I've added are from Amazon, 4Wheel Parts, Autozone and some army surplus gadgets. Nothing has given me any major issues, and anything that has, there's usually a home remedy for to prevent it happening again. Good luck my friend!

View attachment 98435
Nice rig, approximately how much did you spend on the xj?

Reactions: Vantams

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

The best thing you can do to have a "budget build" is to think like a Backpacker. If you can backpack for a week with a 30 lb pack and be comfortable , why do you really need a roof-top tent and a full kitchen and every doodad and accessory in the world to be comfortable while you're sitting in the seat of a vehicle. The more weight you take with you the more vehicle you will need to transport it .

Jakes2514

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Sutton Heath, Sutton, Woodbridge, IP12 3EQ, United Kingdom
First Name
Jakes
Last Name
van der Merwe
Member #

The best thing you can do to have a "budget build" is to think like a Backpacker. If you can backpack for a week with a 30 lb pack and be comfortable , why do you really need a roof-top tent and a full kitchen and every doodad and accessory in the world to be comfortable while you're sitting in the seat of a vehicle. The more weight you take with you the more vehicle you will need to transport it .
Yup that is a great analogy and why I opted for a 3.2L as apposed to the 2.2L Ranger [emoji16]

z06jeff

Rank III

Enthusiast III

This is my budget rig. 2003 Tracker 2.0 4cyl auto. I have been buying a ton of parts for this thing over the last several months, and it's about time to start building. I plan to do an actual build thread once I get most of it complete. So far I've bought: 2" spacer lift, new shocks struts & strut mounts, airlift air bags for the rear, (5) 15x8 wheels, (5) 30x9.50 MT tires, a frontrunner tailgate table, 5.13 front 3rd member from a 02 XL7, 5.13 rear 3rd member from a 96 Tracker....I think that's it for now. Lots of work to do in the near future.
Things I've already done to it include: Dorman heated seat kit, Raptor bedliner spray on the bumpers, grille, and side moulding, Yakima Skyrise 2 w/annex, and an ebay cold air intake.

Attachments

S

softroad.406

This is my budget rig. 2003 Tracker 2.0 4cyl auto. I have been buying a ton of parts for this thing over the last several months, and it's about time to start building. I plan to do an actual build thread once I get most of it complete. So far I've bought: 2" spacer lift, new shocks struts & strut mounts, airlift air bags for the rear, (5) 15x8 wheels, (5) 30x9.50 MT tires, a frontrunner tailgate table, 5.13 front 3rd member from a 02 XL7, 5.13 rear 3rd member from a 96 Tracker....I think that's it for now. Lots of work to do in the near future.
Things I've already done to it include: Dorman heated seat kit, Raptor bedliner spray on the bumpers, grille, and side moulding, Yakima Skyrise 2 w/annex, and an ebay cold air intake.
I havent see one of those before. How's the offroading capacity?

z06jeff

Rank III

Enthusiast III

I havent see one of those before. How's the offroading capacity?
It's a body on ladder frame design, with solid rear axle, IFS, and 2 speed transfer case. The whole package comes in under 3100lbs for the 4 door model, and much lighter for the 2 door. There's not alot of aftermarket support, but theres enough to build a modest off roader. Locking diffs and LSD's are available front and rear. Spacer lifts, body lifts, and springs are available as well. A Chevy Tracker is nothing more than a Suzuki Grand Vitara with a bowtie on the grille, so alot of other Suzuki stuff transfers over, like my XL7 3rd member. As far as thier off road capacity, I can't speak from experience just yet, but in my neck of the woods, when a Tracker is too rusty to pass state inspection, it usually ends up as a woods buggy chasing UTV's through the woods. And most of those are stock, so I'd say they go pretty good.

mknielsen

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Black Diamond, AB, Canada
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Nielsen
Member #

On a budget might be a better description. Paid $1300 for her 18 months ago. Spent that again on a 4 barrel intake, carb, and ignition. Just bit the bullet and spent three times that on cutout flares, Tires, and new wheels. She will be going into the garage soon for a date with a grinder, and a new steering box. Saving up for lockers next year....... When does it stop being a budget build and become something we don't talk about how much it cost? 20190624_183311.jpg

Delux2769

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lakewood, CO, USA
Member #

On a budget might be a better description. Paid $1300 for her 18 months ago. Spent that again on a 4 barrel intake, carb, and ignition. Just bit the bullet and spent three times that on cutout flares, Tires, and new wheels. She will be going into the garage soon for a date with a grinder, and a new steering box. Saving up for lockers next year....... When does it stop being a budget build and become something we don't talk about how much it cost?
Haha, Know what ya mean... I started out with a Subaru forester xt. Built it to Overland with a modest 2" lift and 30"s... now it's 10" and 33"s and we've got a new Overland vehicle, the GX470. Can pick them up for less than a comparable 4Runner. It's no "budget" build compared to older or less recognized rigs, but it is budget for us.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

It's a body on ladder frame design, with solid rear axle, IFS, and 2 speed transfer case. The whole package comes in under 3100lbs for the 4 door model, and much lighter for the 2 door. There's not alot of aftermarket support, but theres enough to build a modest off roader. Locking diffs and LSD's are available front and rear. Spacer lifts, body lifts, and springs are available as well. A Chevy Tracker is nothing more than a Suzuki Grand Vitara with a bowtie on the grille, so alot of other Suzuki stuff transfers over, like my XL7 3rd member. As far as thier off road capacity, I can't speak from experience just yet, but in my neck of the woods, when a Tracker is too rusty to pass state inspection, it usually ends up as a woods buggy chasing UTV's through the woods. And most of those are stock, so I'd say they go pretty good.

Reminds me of the Zook from 4wd Action. :hearteyes:

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

Here’s my budget rig, most of the roughly 5k I’ve spent (that includes the purchase price) has been maintenance, and when something needs replacing, I upgrade parts. The shell was a Craigslist find for $200, and the KC lights were a yard sale find for $25. I did buy a new cb radio and antenna from amazon for around $40 too. Throw the camping gear in back, and hit the trails!

Attachments

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Here’s my budget rig, most of the roughly 5k I’ve spent (that includes the purchase price) has been maintenance, and when something needs replacing, I upgrade parts. The shell was a Craigslist find for $200, and the KC lights were a yard sale find for $25. I did buy a new cb radio and antenna from amazon for around $40 too. Throw the camping gear in back, and hit the trails!
That's so cool!