Budget Battery Chainsawin' (20V B&D Chainsaw)

• HTML tutorial

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Initial review of the Black and Decker 10 inch 20V lithium saw. I really didn't want to deal with another fuel can of a different type of fuel for something that rarely gets used and typically for short instances. My previous setup was to simply pack my 110v saw and run it off of my inverter. This worked quite well but was inconvenient to unpack and repack the extension cord when I needed it since it seemed like I always left it at the bottom of the stack of stuff ha.

I'm also on a budget so a more expensive brand wasn't in the cards. I've had positive experiences in the past with some of B&D's 20v tools so decided to give this a shot.

I've had this saw for about a month now. I've used it around the house for various odd jobs and tree trimming and felling one smaller tree on my property.

My impressions so far have been positive especially since this saw can be had for less than 100 dollars for the tool itself (add about 60 for the "kit" with the 3 AH battery and charger or 20 for the kit with the small battery). I already had a few Black and Decker 20v Max tools around with chargers so I skipped on buying the kit and just got the saw and an extra 4.0aH battery which can be had for about 60 dollars.

The saw is extremely light, and the 10 inch bar makes storage in or on your vehicle easy.

Skip the smaller 1.5 or 2 aH batteries. Those work ok for the drill but for this saw, their Sawsall, and their 5.5 inch skilsaw the larger capacity batteries really shine.

It's not going to be winning any speed cutting competitions and you won't be felling redwoods with it. But for a compact lightweight battery powered option for light work and around the home and on the trail I think you could do a lot worse.

Time will tell on it's longevity of which I'll update as time goes on.

I've got another tree on the property that needs to be dropped. It's probably a bit too large for this saw but I think I'll use it to cut it down anyway and video the ordeal.

cheap saw.jpg

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

What do you think the max diameter tree you can cut is? And could it be cut on one battery charge?

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Have no idea. I cut though a 9inch log multiple times today when consolidating a burn pile. The wood was dead and dry so there's that. The 3 AH battery seems to last quite a while. I was working out there for about an hour. Cut a branch or log toss it on the pile, cut another one toss it on the pile. The battery died right as I finished up.

Last edited:

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Initial review of the Black and Decker 10 inch 20V lithium saw. I really didn't want to deal with another fuel can of a different type of fuel for something that rarely gets used and typically for short instances. My previous setup was to simply pack my 110v saw and run it off of my inverter. This worked quite well but was inconvenient to unpack and repack the extension cord when I needed it since it seemed like I always left it at the bottom of the stack of stuff ha.

I'm also on a budget so a more expensive brand wasn't in the cards. I've had positive experiences in the past with some of B&D's 20v tools so decided to give this a shot.

I've had this saw for about a month now. I've used it around the house for various odd jobs and tree trimming and felling one smaller tree on my property.

My impressions so far have been positive especially since this saw can be had for less than 100 dollars for the tool itself (add about 60 for the "kit" with the 3 AH battery and charger or 20 for the kit with the small battery). I already had a few Black and Decker 20v Max tools around with chargers so I skipped on buying the kit and just got the saw and an extra 4.0aH battery which can be had for about 60 dollars.

The saw is extremely light, and the 10 inch bar makes storage in or on your vehicle easy.

Skip the smaller 1.5 or 2 aH batteries. Those work ok for the drill but for this saw, their Sawsall, and their 5.5 inch skilsaw the larger capacity batteries really shine.

It's not going to be winning any speed cutting competitions and you won't be felling redwoods with it. But for a compact lightweight battery powered option for light work and around the home and on the trail I think you could do a lot worse.

Time will tell on it's longevity of which I'll update as time goes on.

I've got another tree on the property that needs to be dropped. It's probably a bit too large for this saw but I think I'll use it to cut it down anyway and video the ordeal.

View attachment 153166
I definitely could have used that last year to clear some low-hanging branches that made my life difficult on the trail! Thanks for the review.

Reactions: Downs

RoyB

Rank IV

Contributor II

Boston
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Bertalotto
I have a bunch of these B&D tools that run on the 20V system. Can't beat them for the price. Been using a few drills and a string trimmer for years with no failures. Wish I could say the same for DeWalt and Makida products that I didn't even get a year out of. Going to look into this chainsaw to put in the truck.

Reactions: DaleRF and Downs

Boucher

Rank V

Member II

Maidens, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Boucher
Member #

Service Branch
Retired USN
I picked up a Ryobi one for my wife 12 Inch bar for use cleaning the yard. It works awesome thing is a little beast cuts great and battery lasts a while , I purchased this one as I already had the batteries from the trimmer

Reactions: DaleRF and Downs

JackA

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Orondo, WA, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Another brand that I have had excellent results from is Greenworks, (I use the 40V Max system.) I wanted as many tools as I needed to work on the same battery. With Greenworks I have everything from a light snow blower to an 18" chainsaw. I use the chainsaw in a semi-commercial 160 acre forest lot as my "go to" pruning saw. Oregon brand chain and bars fit and Greenworks has replacement parts available at their website. Power Tools for Home & Garden | Greenworks

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I have Greenworks 20V impact and drill so two years ago I bought the 12" 20V chain saw. Run time is great, plenty of power and batteries hold full charge for 9 months or more in storage.

Reactions: Downs and DaleRF

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Put it to work this weekend. Night one i used it to cut up a smaller dead fallen tree for firewood. The next day i used it to clear freshly fallen trees from storms off the trail. Its not going to win any speed sawing competitions but it gets the job done.

The lower chain speed should help preserve the chain and prevent burning it up but I'm no sawyer.

Ignore the fact im not wearing chaps.

Battery life was excellent. I had 2 of the 3 aH batteries with me. The first one finally died while clearing tree #5 from the trail. Swapped to the second one and it kept trucking.

Won't be leaving home without this anymore.

Attachments

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Put it to work this weekend. Night one i used it to cut up a smaller dead fallen tree for firewood. The next day i used it to clear freshly fallen trees from storms off the trail. Its not going to win any speed sawing competitions but it gets the job done.

The lower chain speed should help preserve the chain and prevent burning it up but I'm no sawyer.

Ignore the fact im not wearing chaps.

Battery life was excellent. I had 2 of the 3 aH batteries with me. The first one finally died while clearing tree #5 from the trail. Swapped to the second one and it kept trucking.

Won't be leaving home without this anymore.
Outstanding! Thanks 4 the review!

Reactions: Downs