Enthusiast II

Wisconsin, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Besch
Member #

Hello Overlanders!

I'm in need of some advice and thought this group would be of great help. I was 99% sure that I wanted my new rig to be one of the new Bronco's coming out in 2021, but the more I dig into things and deeper I go I'm not so sure. The Bronco looks Amazing and wins in the cool department, but I've heard buying a vehicle in year 1 of production can be risky and with their continued delays I'm also concerned....so, I'm looking for your thoughts.

What am I looking for, and what will I use it for?

• Daily Driver - This will be mine so I want it to be good on the highway as well as offroad
  • Winter - I live in Wisconsin, so need something that will perform in the Winter
  • Family - I have 2 kids and a wife, so I need room for them and their stuff.
  • Overlanding not 4x4 - I want the vehicle for Overlanding, not Off Roading/Rock Crawling...I see a difference
  • Towing - I want the ability to tow a camper down the line should I go that route, v8?
  • No Jeep - I've had a Rubicon and loved it, but am looking for something else this time around
  • Budget - Sub $65K
Thanks so much for all your thoughts, help, ideas and suggestions.

Josh

JP-SLC

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Utah
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Peine
Member #

I’m on my second Tundra and love it. It is a big rig but I wouldn’t have it any other way. I use mine as my daily driver and it handles great as I transition from sand to snow in Utah.
Big enough for my family of five and tows the boat or camper with no problems.
Downside: gas mileage is terrible.
Apart from that I have nothing but love for my Tundra!

Attachments

Reactions: MarioT'sCJResto

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Thought about the Defender, but it’s a bit out of my price range. Looks pretty sweet though.
I hear ya on the price range but seems to have a lot of tech that if you were to add to a Bronco you’d be in close range of a Defender?

Reactions: RamBound

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Hello Overlanders!

I'm in need of some advice and thought this group would be of great help. I was 99% sure that I wanted my new rig to be one of the new Bronco's coming out in 2021, but the more I dig into things and deeper I go I'm not so sure. The Bronco looks Amazing and wins in the cool department, but I've heard buying a vehicle in year 1 of production can be risky and with their continued delays I'm also concerned....so, I'm looking for your thoughts.

• Daily Driver - This will be mine so I want it to be good on the highway as well as offroad
  • Winter - I live in Wisconsin, so need something that will perform in the Winter
  • Overlanding not 4x4 - I want the vehicle for Overlanding, not Off Roading/Rock Crawling...I see a difference
  • Towing - I want the ability to tow a camper down the line should I go that route, v8?
  • No Jeep - I've had a Rubicon and loved it, but am looking for something else this time around
  • Budget - Sub $65K

Josh
If you hadn't mentioned towing a camper I would have said Ford has more research in the Bronco than anything else it has on the line. I would trust a first year out model on the Bronco as Ford would go berserk if something went wrong with their newest toy. I think the Bronco will meet all your needs except towing, (engine too small IMO) at least for now (not talking about a trail trailer).. if your gonna tow get something that is built for towing. A four door short bed pickup with V8 (possibly a big c.i. V6 might do it, like the medium size Dodge p.u.) power or any one of a good choice of 4x4 SUV (not all wheel drive type). Have fun with your new rig.

p.s. The black lettering on your post is very hard to read on my Kendal. You have a choice of black or white I hope you know.

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

I’m on my second Tundra and love it. It is a big rig but I wouldn’t have it any other way. I use mine as my daily driver and it handles great as I transition from sand to snow in Utah.
Man I have a Ram and you are spot on about the MPG, and I made the decision to go all in on my Ram build. Do you run an extended range tank? I'm going with the LRAM 50, and 20 to 25 gallons of additional gas to max the range for an average of 1k per fill up.

JP-SLC

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Utah
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Peine
Member #

Man I have a Ram and you are spot on about the MPG, and I made the decision to go all in on my Ram build. Do you run an extended range tank? I'm going with the LRAM 50, and 20 to 25 gallons of additional gas to max the range for an average of 1k per fill up.
No additional tank as of yet, still a work in progress.

RVA Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brandermill Parkway, Midlothian, VA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Rudolph
Member #

With your budget you have options which is the best part. I went from an F150 to a Ranger last year and have been very happy with the change. The advice of test driving is a good one. You really need to get in there and see what kind of space you will need in the back seat. The F150 has amazing rear seat space and towing capacity. Put a cap on the back and you will be good to go with plenty of storage. The ranger is smaller and fits down the trails a bit better, still has decent towing and if willing to put a cap on the back still has a ton of room. The reason I have gone for the pickups is all because of storage space. I can have a lot of stuff if I want and still have seating for 4 inside and can still haul my boat. Good luck with your decision, really don't think you can wrong with any choice you make.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

If you want NEW new, then there are a lot of options, as everyone has me tioned. If it doesnt have to be brand new, I would at least take a look at any 2013 Tahoe z71 that was in excellent shape. Or maybe a new one?

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Hello Overlanders!

• Budget - Sub $65K

Josh
Bronco has all of the problems of a Wrangler, which is primarily a lack of cargo area.

In your circumstances, not geared toward offroading, a half ton or (in my opinion) 3/4 ton 4x4, crew cab, gas burning pickup. If you add a shell on the back you have all the room you can ask for in the passenger and cargo areas. Their fuel mileage is not really significantly worse than most/many of the suv, and they will tow much better than any suv.

Budget wise, pickups are priced more attractively as well, unless you go buy some special edition edition.

I have a Gladiator, it cures most of a Jeeps problems, I daily drive a Ram 2500 4x4 with a 6.4, they are both awesome vehicles that excel in their niche. I did however just order a Power Wagon to replace the 2500, and narrow the gap between the two, giving up some towing and load capacity for more articulation.

Western

Rank V

Member II

Johns Creek, GA, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Bowman
Member #

If I’m considering another Overlanding Rig, one of the biggest considerations I personally look at is: how are the trails where you go? Are they narrow? Mostly wide? Picking the right size vehicle for your area I think is important. The Bronco seems like it will be a fantastic rig tho... good for both Overlanding and Rock Crawling at the same time. First few “batches” will probably have some issues, just like many other cars when they first come out. Tundra is big and interior is archaic. Stupid reliable, fantastic off road tho. I say Bronco between those two.... coming from a guy who Overlands a Subaru Outback.

RamBound

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Wisconsin, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Besch
Member #

Stop messing around and find yourself a nearly new Landcruiser 200 series or the LX 570. This vehicle puts a check mark in all of your boxes. You’ll still be driving it 20 years from now.
Funny you should mention the Lexus, started looking at that one and it seems impressive. Obviously I’d need some tire and suspension work but you’re right it checks a lot of boxes

Reactions: MOAK and Old Tanker

RamBound

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Wisconsin, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Besch
Member #

With your budget you have options which is the best part. I went from an F150 to a Ranger last year and have been very happy with the change. The advice of test driving is a good one. You really need to get in there and see what kind of space you will need in the back seat. The F150 has amazing rear seat space and towing capacity. Put a cap on the back and you will be good to go with plenty of storage. The ranger is smaller and fits down the trails a bit better, still has decent towing and if willing to put a cap on the back still has a ton of room. The reason I have gone for the pickups is all because of storage space. I can have a lot of stuff if I want and still have seating for 4 inside and can still haul my boat. Good luck with your decision, really don't think you can wrong with any choice you make.
You’re right, options are a good thing.

RamBound

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Wisconsin, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Besch
Member #

Hello Overlanders!

• Budget - Sub $65K

Josh
Bronco has all of the problems of a Wrangler, which is primarily a lack of cargo area.

In your circumstances, not geared toward offroading, a half ton or (in my opinion) 3/4 ton 4x4, crew cab, gas burning pickup. If you add a shell on the back you have all the room you can ask for in the passenger and cargo areas. Their fuel mileage is not really significantly worse than most/many of the suv, and they will tow much better than any suv.

Budget wise, pickups are priced more attractively as well, unless you go buy some special edition edition.

I have a Gladiator, it cures most of a Jeeps problems, I daily drive a Ram 2500 4x4 with a 6.4, they are both awesome vehicles that excel in their niche. I did however just order a Power Wagon to replace the 2500, and narrow the gap between the two, giving up some towing and load capacity for more articulation.
Thanks for the thoughts, I agree the truck route supplies so much more room and endless possibilities. I had a Jeep in the past and agree storage was an issue. It was an issue just in my normal day to day, not to mention any camping expeditions. I’ve never had a truck before so maybe that’s part of my hesitation.

Reactions: bgenlvtex

Old Tanker

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Norfolk, VA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Reimer
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
I was going back and forth a month ago, and ultimately decided to stick with the 4Runner for light overlanding. But I was very close to going with an F250 Tremor over an F150. Enough payload to haul a Hawk Camper with ease. 4x4, rear lockers, Tremor package, Warn winch, dual batteries, HD alternator, upfitter switches, 35" AT tires, for a list of $57K. But big, with a huge turning radius.