Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

Hey all, this just happened tonight driving around town (rear driver side shock). Question for the group. I currently have OME Nitrochargers shocks on my 3rd gen Tacoma with approx. 45k miles on the shocks all around. Do I replace the two rear shocks and call it a day, or should I replace all 4? I was hoping to get closer to the 80-100k mark with these, but am tempted just to reset the clock with new ones all around although I'd prefer not to if others have proven that they can stand the test of time. I'm honestly not sure how this happened around town. My assumption is that the nut came loose and the shock snapped.

Thanks for your help with this!

IMG_20211118_191956875.jpgIMG_20211118_194812736.jpg

Hey all, this just happened tonight driving around town (rear driver side shock). Question for the group. I currently have OME Nitrochargers shocks on my 3rd gen Tacoma with approx. 45k miles on the shocks all around. Do I replace the two rear shocks and call it a day, or should I replace all 4? I was hoping to get closer to the 80-100k mark with these, but am tempted just to reset the clock with new ones all around although I'd prefer not to if others have proven that they can stand the test of time. I'm honestly not sure how this happened around town. My assumption is that the nut came loose and the shock snapped.

Thanks for your help with this!

View attachment 216284View attachment 216285
I think your correct that a loose bolt caused the failure. I have had great service from OME, worth a call they may replace it. You may only have to purchase the other side. 40K is not a lot of mileage for those shocks.

Reactions: 9Mike2

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I do a ton of off road driving and get less than 10k before I notice a difference. In my book, 45k is great.

When I see a broken shock, the first thing that comes to mind is shock length and loose bolts. I've seen people bottom them out and pull them apart. Both end up with a broken mount. If you can, cycle your suspension and make sure your shock is not what limits you. That way when you replace them you can change the length if needed.

And X2 on the Fox 2.0.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Ome was the first lift I did on My Colorado I thought because it's made in Australia they would be great. They only made them for 1" to 2" max lift at the time and that was pretty basic lift across the board when the Colorado first came out. My front struts blew out at around 35k since I've went through multiple brands of shocks in different heights none of them felt right. I know the shock feeling is a personal choice and I found 2 that have worked for me a set of cheapish rough country and a set of expensive icons both 4" lift .
I run rough country's normally on a daily basis
If I have a show or think I'm gonna need the performance of the icons I will swap them out. I'd rather not tear up the super expensive shocks. The rough country n3 shocks haven't let me down yet, fed ex did loose my first set by delivering to someone else's house but that can't be held against rc.

Both of these brands use a massive shaft much thicker than old man emus. Personally emus will never be on my truck again, well maybe if I had a Suzuki samauri, jeep or something small.

I love when stuff fails it just gives me a reason and motivation to upgrade to something better.