Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Hey everyone! Long time, no post for me.

As some of you know, I broke my leg 3.5 weeks ago. Recovery is going ok, just slower than I want (of course). Lots of my time has been spent watching movies/episodes relating to overlanding (Ronny Dahl, 4xOverland, Expedition Overland, Overland Bound, Roaming the Outback etc. were first on my list) and some survival stuff. There's a lot of stuff out there that would be good to watch, but it's not always easy to tell or find.

I'd like to hear from the brain trust of this forum some of your favorite channels or individual videos that I should start watching next. With any luck, I won't need a second surgery on March 8th, but there's still lots of time before I'm off this damn couch.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions. It's taken a while to have enough concentration to get back on the forum, or read a book, but it'll be nice to reconnect with all of you again:)

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Are you looking for broad recommendations, or overland/4x4 specific only? Cuz if it's the former, I've got a few ideas...

ETA: Also, assuming you're looking for any/all recs, what are you into, genre wise?
Overlanding and all that it encompasses for the most part. Knots, camping reviews, survival, recovery, navigation, etc are all good to me.

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

2 wheel travel
Long way round
Long way down
Don't know if you will find these on Prime or on YouTube but worth a look.
Yes, 2 wheel expeditions too! I almost mentioned the Long Way videos. I have watched both series before, but I'm not sure if they're on Netflix anymore. I did watch a series called The Ride: London to Beijing on Amazon Prime and it was pretty good. It's a 3 month trip with one uber experienced rider taking a bunch of novices through some pretty crazy terrain and altitude. They even make a quick atop at the Mt. Everest Base Camp.

Reactions: 1derer

AlysonH

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I guess this means you're finally bored of watching your own YouTube videos over and over again to up the views. [emoji12] Just kidding!!

Reactions: 4xFar Adventures

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

Overlanding and all that it encompasses for the most part. Knots, camping reviews, survival, recovery, navigation, etc are all good to me.
Alright, then I've got nothing, since you watch all the same stuff I'm watching currently.

...although, if you want to branch out, the 1953 movie "Wages of Fear" involves trucks driving treacherous roads (complete with boulders, switchbacks, water hazards and washboards) while carrying unsecured nitroglycerine. It's sorta like overlanding with a bomb on your truck. It's an awesome white-knuckle experience, and should appeal to OB types. Here's a trailer:

krax

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

NC
Member #

"The Grand Tour" on Amazon is good. It's the same guys from "Top Gear" (the British/good version) doing basically the same show. You have watched their "Top Gear" Bolivia special right?

Not overland related, but personally, I'd watch the entire series of "Archer" again if I were in your shoes (or shoe/cast combo).