Brand new to overlanding in general-2003 suburban

• HTML tutorial

Averagedanny

Rank 0

Contributor I

Hey everyone, I'm just starting to get into this whole overlanding idea and am starting out with a 2003 2WD Suburban, I know it is not ideal but I do have g80 lockers installed. It runs fine and I do believe I'm running 31 in a/t tires but am looking to save up around 5,000 dollars to make this suburban a little capable. Thoughts on what I should do first?

Last edited:

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

What kind of environments are you planning on exploring? Mud, sand, snow? This will help us give you better recommendations, but remember, they're just that. Everything you do should be geared towards you and your rigs purpose. Nothing is the best because a guy or gal on the forums said it was.

Averagedanny

Rank 0

Contributor I

What kind of environments are you planning on exploring? Mud, sand, snow? This will help us give you better recommendations, but remember, they're just that. Everything you do should be geared towards you and your rigs purpose. Nothing is the best because a guy or gal on the forums said it was.
I plan on driving in a little bit of mud, little bit of sand. Mainly just forest locations with some rock, some mud, higher grass etc and then some other miscellaneous types of treks.

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

I plan on driving in a little bit of mud, little bit of sand. Mainly just forest locations with some rock, some mud, higher grass etc and then some other miscellaneous types of treks.
Well, it looks like you have 9.8" front ground clearance, and 8.4" rear ground clearance. All things considered, given your environments I'd say that's too bad at all. A good set of tires will benefit you the most off the beaten track, in my opinion anyhow. Maybe some Maxtrax's if you think you'll be getting stuck in the slippery stuff. After that, I'd say invest in the actual gear you'll use when camping or whatever it is you intend to do out there.

Reactions: Zargon and Saulv124

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

You can do alot with that budget.
IFS is the weak link on the burb so I'd focus there first.
1. Cognito UCA with shocks of choice Bilstein/Fox
  • Leveled 2.5"
  • 2.0 lift block in rear
  • Since your in there idler/pitman arms and tie rods
2. Cognito steering braces - highly recommend these especially going with larger tires.

3. Wheels and 33" tires

Upgrade your rear axle with a 14 bolt with G80 from a HD pickup/SUV. The half ton versions are known to go poof aka gov bomb.

Last edited:

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

First thing I recommend for anyone starting out in this lifestyle. Buy recovery gear... tow straps/ropes, shackles, traction mats and a winch if you can, even if its just a come a long style. Go out and explore with your rig and your recovery gear. You will quickly realize what upgrades need to be done as you go.

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Never go out alone, and leave a trip plan with someone, even for a day trip.

Check out forums specific to your vehicle. Learn it's strengths and weaknesses.

Carry spares and tools to replace some of the simpler stuff.

Solid, frame mounted recovery points. Don't rely on the factory tie downs, they are only good for transport from the factory.

Take a TREAD Lightly! class. Be a steward of the outdoors and help keep our trails open!

Protect the underside. Differential, steering and fuel tank guards. Move up to sliders and bumpers (unless you need recovery points).

Tire pressure gauge to check aired down pressure and compressor to re-inflate after the trail.

Proper training, which excludes almost all videos found on YouTube. Exceptions are Overland Bound, Ronny Dahl, and 4xOverland. I'm working on some, but damn it's not easy!

Tire plug repair kit. Easy to use and a lifesaver on the trail.

Reactions: Dog Party