Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
I have had NAPA bottle jacks in the past, one of them is probably 15 years old and was reasonably priced and held up well, however they seem to have lost some quality, at least the last one I looked at. Have thrown away any of cheap imports, seems like the pump goes out in no time and you only get a fraction of an inch per stroke of the handle. They all look identical and probably all come from the same factory. US Jack or Enerpac are both made in the USA and you will pay extra for it. If I recall and 8 ton will run between 200 and 300 depending on options. US Jack has a wide range of capacities in both standard and high lift versions. They even have a model designed for extreme cold. I like Enerpac's handle shape as it fits well and does not rotate. Never had either of them bleed down or cause any issues, However still not going to get under a vehicle unless it is safely blocked or otherwise supported in case of jack failure. For those with an unlimited budget there is ARB's Jack, an $800 modernized hydraulic version of the old Hi-Lift farm jack

Reactions: RAMXPLR

RAMXPLR

Rank V

Explorer I

Carlsbad, San Diego County, California, United States
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Lochow
Member #

I have had NAPA bottle jacks in the past, one of them is probably 15 years old and was reasonably priced and held up well, however they seem to have lost some quality, at least the last one I looked at. Have thrown away any of cheap imports, seems like the pump goes out in no time and you only get a fraction of an inch per stroke of the handle. They all look identical and probably all come from the same factory. US Jack or Enerpac are both made in the USA and you will pay extra for it. If I recall and 8 ton will run between 200 and 300 depending on options. US Jack has a wide range of capacities in both standard and high lift versions. They even have a model designed for extreme cold. I like Enerpac's handle shape as it fits well and does not rotate. Never had either of them bleed down or cause any issues, However still not going to get under a vehicle unless it is safely blocked or otherwise supported in case of jack failure. For those with an unlimited budget there is ARB's Jack, an $800 modernized hydraulic version of the old Hi-Lift farm jack
Thank you!

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Ford Superduty OEM bottle jack from junkyard. $20, and it extends a mile. No hydraulics, just gears, so make sure to grab the spinning extension and tire iron adapter as well.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I have a couple of Big Reds and a home built 4” extension for them, I stole the idea from safety jack.

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

Second on the Safe Jack kit. Not necessarily the most economical, but I bought a 6 ton kit before a Death Valley trip when I didn't have time to piece a kit together.....after realizing a high lift was a waste of time on the plastic bumpered WJ. . The kit with the extensions allows it to be a grab and go for the WJ, old full size Jeep, or Tahoe. I did cut two pieces of 1/2 inch plywood to the size of the bottom of the bag to use as a jack pad when needed.
@Landsat8 thanks for the axle cradle tip. That would have saved me some money!

1606805791404.png

Last edited:
Reactions: RedLeg