Booted uniballs?

• HTML tutorial
Z

Zander Abear

Hello all, I’m looking to get some good travel out of my GX470. I’m going to be getting a long travel kit, probably from total chaos, and I’m stuck between ball joints and uniballs. I think it’s a poor design having the pivot out there for the dirt and grit to get into it. I do like how uniballs utilize the most amount of movement, especially over ball joints. But I was wondering, does anyone make a uniball that can be protected from the elements? Does someone put rubber boots over the pivot? Thanks all!

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
I'd go with the ball joint uppers given the winters you'll see up there. Uniballs are generally a 15-30k mile maintenance item for most street driven/mild off road rigs... That said, they're not too hard to replace in most UCA applications. Fwiw most folks in my local crew here have swapped out to ball joint uppers from uniballs because of the maintenance intervals, we chose to get some ball joint UCA's vs uniballs for the same reason.

Reactions: Zander Abear

dp454so

Rank IV

Advocate II

USA
First Name
D
Last Name
P
Member #

I'd go with the ball joint uppers given the winters you'll see up there. Uniballs are generally a 15-30k mile maintenance item for most street driven/mild off road rigs... That said, they're not too hard to replace in most UCA applications. Fwiw most folks in my local crew here have swapped out to ball joint uppers from uniballs because of the maintenance intervals, we chose to get some ball joint UCA's vs uniballs for the same reason.
Your own instinct and rho's is spot on - but I'll confidently push you AWAY from uniballs as they are a performance (racing) piece of kit and might be a disaster for your application.

Let me tell you why (and my perspective might be shit ;)) the uniballs REQUIRE maintenance and they are unprotected from the elements.

Shit gets dirty, and squeaky, and nasty, and once dirt gets in, there is no way to remove it without pulling it all apart and rebuilding (AFAIK).

Call and talk to the guys @ DirtKing (not sponsored but bought their parts), King Shocks (not sponsored but if you're building a LA Lexus, you need their input), and talk to Ben @ FilthyMotorsports about suspension and you'll sort it out pretty quickly. The biggest challenge is figuring out what it is that you want the rig to do! After that, it's all execution and getting out the camera ;) Ping me if you want more info on contacts (I'm still building my rig)
Cheers,
DP

Z

Zander Abear

Thanks for getting back guys, sorry, kinda forgot to check this for a while. I do plan on using ball joints, and poly bushings.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I know you made your choice and its a good one. I've been running heims and uniball for a long time. I never recommend them for daily drivers. Out here, you see a bunch of "prerunner" street trucks. High dollar long travel suspension sitting on the side of the road with the tire hanging out and a broken upper uniball. You can drive on a worn ball joint not a uniball. I also see broken side by sides out in the desert with broken heim joint steering. No one tells these people those items are high travel/high maintenance. They think racing means long life.
If for whatever reason you run them, learn how to inspect them and some can be rebuilt. I like the total chaos kits. I (sort of) know the people there. They are all about customer service and improving their product.

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
I know you made your choice and its a good one. I've been running heims and uniball for a long time. I never recommend them for daily drivers. Out here, you see a bunch of "prerunner" street trucks. High dollar long travel suspension sitting on the side of the road with the tire hanging out and a broken upper uniball. You can drive on a worn ball joint not a uniball. I also see broken side by sides out in the desert with broken heim joint steering. No one tells these people those items are high travel/high maintenance. They think racing means long life.
If for whatever reason you run them, learn how to inspect them and some can be rebuilt. I like the total chaos kits. I (sort of) know the people there. They are all about customer service and improving their product.
Yep... Its fairly common thing out here, even in norcal, lol