Launch Member

Advocate III

Plano, TX, USA
First Name
Rod
Last Name
Morris
Member #

Bonfire event (https://www.facebook.com/events/2469333680060362/) was officially cancelled so this trip will be tentative depending on situation in mid-April.

Trip to Bonfire Rendezvous in the Ozarks sponsored by Natural State Overland (see FB page - https://www.facebook.com/events/2469333680060362/). Caravan from DFW up to Haw Creek Campground in Ozark National Forest on Friday - majority will be highway to minimize trip time, and then plan route through NF to campground. I have not been in this part of NF so open to suggestions on campsite options and routes. Camp overnight and then head to Bonfire gathering on Saturday morning, and camp at Byrd's Recreation Center. Depart Sunday mid-day/afternoon for return to DFW.

Keeping rig count somewhat low as I understand its easier to find good campsites to accommodate smaller groups.

We will meet at Buc-ee's in Melissa, TX on US 75 at 8am for drive up to Arkansas.

atomicode

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Plano, TX, USA
First Name
Rod
Last Name
Morris
Member #

rod , do you use gmrs?
Hi Jamie, yes I have a handheld Midland radio and use it when on trails or caravans to avoid issues with limited cell coverage. I haven't had much need for anything more powerful so it's limited range is OK. I have an older Motorola handheld that you can borrow for the trip if you want.

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

Here is a recomendation on a place to camp...
If you continue north on 123 about 2 miles past Haw creek falls campground you will come to Big Piney creek. Cross the single lane bridge and at the the end of the bridge go left on county road 5881. Go about 3 miles and it crosses hurricane creek. There is a good place to camp on the right side right before you cross the creek. Lots of people doing the TAT camp here. Continue on and you come to car wash falls... Pretty cool..

wlson1970

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rowlett, TX, USA
First Name
jamie
Last Name
wilson
Member #

we were planning on getting one anyway. probably this weekend. guess we can test and see how much distance we can get on it.

Reactions: atomicode

wlson1970

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rowlett, TX, USA
First Name
jamie
Last Name
wilson
Member #

we were planning on getting one anyway. probably this weekend. guess we can test and see how much distance we can get on it.

BUM343

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Fort Worth, TX, USA
First Name
Blake
Last Name
Bumgardner
Member #

Hi y’all! This sounds like fun, but want to be sure my truck can make it haha. Would these be extreme trails?

Reactions: Wilson123

Wilson123

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Rowlett, TX, USA
First Name
Carol
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Hi y’all! This sounds like fun, but want to be sure my truck can make it haha. Would these be extreme trails?
Shows Easy. Think they have all levels once there. We already took off work so could go :) Sounds like lots of fun!

atomicode

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Plano, TX, USA
First Name
Rod
Last Name
Morris
Member #

I have the Midland Gxt1000. I recommend getting the 12v car charger to go with it as it chews through the battery quickly when left on.

wlson1970

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rowlett, TX, USA
First Name
jamie
Last Name
wilson
Member #

Next chance go see what your lowest part hanging down on your vehicle. Gives an idea when break over angle happens.

wlson1970

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rowlett, TX, USA
First Name
jamie
Last Name
wilson
Member #

been watching the weather. haw creek getting a lot of rain. gonna be sticky up there. already got mosquitos at dfw airport.