• No

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Maybe Now

Votes: 4 4.6%

• Total voters
E

expeditionnorth

BOB aka Bug Out Bag, Who Carries One ?

I wanted my BOB to be seasonal. Before that I felt I kept things for all seasons in one large ruck. Which in most cases would have never been probably ever used or left behind somewhere when I thought I had enough. I feel I have designed my BOB as a method to help me survive if stranded.
With my disability I cant walk out for help like other
Who knows what might happen to you, regardless its a great idea to have one
When we lived in Washington State my dad required us to carry a survival kit when out in the wilds, so my idea carries over from there
Mine is modular with the addition or removal of bags or pouches to fit the seasons climate here in VT
This side shows where I have my admin pouch with USGS topo maps, compass & GPS located. I realize now I need to add spare batteries. Amazing how much you see you are missing when you log all items.

backside.jpg end view.jpg

My first aid kit is very basic. Consists of a few varied sizes of bandaids, gauze rolls, gauze pads, steriwipes, ace bandage, bug cream/lotion, and a few pain pills. I have this attached to the outside back of the pack so it is readily available

My food which is located in the front small pocket consists of one #11pasta with vegetables meal. Butterscotch candy, chicken of sea: crab-tastic & pacific salmon, bumble bee: BBQ chicken breasts & garlic & herb breasts, plus a Mrs.Grass homestyle chicken noodle soup. I almost forgot the 2 bags of jerkey

In the left sustainment pouch I have my MSR pocketrocket, titan kettle, fuel canister (inside kettle), homemade oatmeal & cocoa mix bags, & some more candy. Also my boonie hat & slingshot are in there. It is amazing how much you can cram into one of these pouches. I think I can ditch the candy though. Behind the toilet paper and MSR stove container are a bic lighter and a magnesium fire starter in the same Ziploc bag. I am not sure about some PJ balls here..maybe ?

In the right sustainment pouch I have my DIY hammock and hex rain fly. I seen reviews on the web where folks were not able to get it back in the same pouch afterwards. I had/have no issue in that regards, with the snakeskins it slides in easy no pun intended. Next to it in the silnylon pouch is the hex fly which can be used to create a larger camp site if so chosen. The hex fly resides in the main pack body.

In the main body of the pack there is a plastic foam insert for a little padding in here towards the interior I have my wild edibles guide and a few of these little plastic nets. The use for the nets are limited by ones imagination I feel.

Back to the interior of the pack I have several items that I felt could not be done without.
For starter in the orange pouch I have my Gerber gator folding knife, Gerber suspension multitool with sockets & adapter, Gerber folding saw, diamond sharpener, and in the leather sheath an old navy electrician’s knife. Maybe ditch the electricians knife as I have the Swiss in reserve in another pouch?

In this orange dry sack I have my assorted junk that I thought would be a benefit some how. I may remove some it not all of this to cut down on weight and excess worthless stuff. I have 100ft of orange paracord and about 75ft of black. In the bag with the black paracord I have a small bag of 8 inch zip ties. I know these will remain. Wrapped around the 35mm film canister is some duct tape and about 50ft of 8lb test monofilament line. Inside are a few #4-6 hooks, some small split shot sinkers, small bobber and a floating fly lure. I have the deer drag in there as a left over from hunting season a few years back. The boot laces I can remove and possibly the nalgene replacement cap as I always seem to lose or break these somehow. On the cord with the swiss army knife is tied to is a small USGI sharpening stone for small knives and fish hooks.

Photos were not being placed correctly with text so I've added them as thumbnails
backside.jpg end view.jpg IFAK.JPG AMK_Misc_.JPG mess kit.JPG wild edibles_net.JPG DSC_0132.JPG assorted junk.JPG clothing.JPG columbia rain gear_ gloves.JPG

E

expeditionnorth

In the orange dry sack I have two pairs of starter cushioned moisture wicking work socks and one pair of Life boxer briefs. I think the briefs are more comfortable when doing physical activities. Maybe I need more or less?
In the green dry sack I have a forest green polartec 300 weight fleece coat. I can use this as a liner or as a cushion in the hammock or maybe left in the sack as a pillow. I am thinking I may add my EMS Techwick midweight thermal pants in here also for those frosty nights/mornings we get here in VT. Another item that weighs next to nothing

At the top of the pack once you unzip it I have this black diamond led headlamp which I keep secured around my 32oz nalgene which is being washed so no photo for now. Right next to that I keep my MSR mini works EX and a small 3oz bottle of bleach for water purification. I really hate to carry bleach for fear of it leaking but find I like the added safety of it being there. A mental factor you know…

In the fanny/ butt pack that is secured below the main pack I have my Columbia Titanium Omnitech packable rain pants and parka, plus a pair of work gloves

I feel I have the basics of shelter, fire, water & food hopefully covered. Simple but effective I hope so far

I noticed that my BOB was missing some common items I seen in others’ examples. So today since EMS has the 20% off sale happening I got some more items that I felt would help it along. Not shown are the 2 isobutane fuel canisters and the sea to summit stuff sack. I still can not find a thermacell locally. So the cashier gave me the Natrapel sample free, as if it was a great thing to get it I was made to feel. I still need to add a few personal hygiene items for the added comfort. Yet another day…

I have these magnesium fire starters everywhere and so what if I had another in here I thought.

I also wanted a method of signaling, so I chose the AMK rescue howlers as they were in a two pack. I love the idea and have whistles on all my other packs except this one. I keep these mounted to the shoulder harness.

Comparing my IFAK to others I was lacking, so the quickest method was this AMK 1.0 kit. I feel the remainder of my kit should fit into this and this can go back into the molle FAK pouch.

Since I have the hammock which is basically a self contained shelter I thought about staying warm on a cold night. I wanted the sea to summit toaster liner but my little hick town store does not carry it. So I got to thinking what if… so I chose the AMK heatsheets emergency bivvy and their survival blanket. Both of these items combined weigh less than 9 ounces.

I got eight of the EMS DAC stakes since I could not resist $1@. I really only need maybe 2 for my HH Explorer ASYM (since sold it off). So now I have spares

I have to conclude with the idea that no matter how well you are prepared, things can & will fail so its better to have a fail safe then to fail altogether

AMK_Bivvy_heatsheets_.jpg AMK_Misc_.JPG assorted junk.JPG boonie hat_slingshot.JPG columbia rain gear_ gloves.JPG EMS_DAC_Stakes_.jpg headlamp.jpg MSR miniworks_bleach.jpg polar fleece.JPG

Disco_Berty

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

cheadle, Stoke on Trent
Member #

I don't have a BOB as its more likely that i would bug in than out. Again though, I live in the UK where nothing happens, particularly as regards weather. That said, I have a get home bag that is in my truck in case of an incident.

Reactions: DEAF_JEEPHER

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

I've been carrying one for a while just out of habit - it was originally just a backpack for my day to day stuff and then it evolved.

Inside the pack is the real magic, I keep a smaller pouch full of my essentials and could literally take that and be fine, anywhere - I would have to figure a couple of things out, but nothing out of the ordinary for a trip into the land without electricity and running water.

E

expeditionnorth

My BOB was stolen in a smash and grab a few years ago. This winter, one of my projects is to finish caging the cargo area so the replacement can remain in the truck full time in a secure place.

Someday, maybe @Michael can make the OBBOB;)
so sorry to hear that

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

I keep one and am constantly changing it to my area. I like to layer gear so i can easily adapt depending on the situation.

The first layer is protective clothing. A nice set of boots and wool socks. Durable for the areas environments. Then my 9mm a fixed knife and a survival tin that i put together. Throw in my edc( wallet, keys, blah blah) and im ready. If i ditch all other layers. This one can keep me alive with skills.

Second layer is a battle belt( work in progress). Holds 4 ar mags. Canteen, ifak. Its pretty adaptable. So i can adjust as needed.

Third layer is my GOOD bag. Get Out Of Dodge
Its got bare bones gear light weight and geared for mobility.

This set up is for the worst case. Because i have my rig always loaded with food and gear to survive the end of times. And where ever I'm living i keep well stocked and have plans in place.
This back is to get me to where i need to go. Or to some of my other supplies or caches.

If the guns seem overkill. Remember that if the situation doesn't call for them i would leave them or ccw like any other day.

If i need to bug out and never come back here again. I have a plan in place.
My house is set up so i can grab my necessary gear in less than five minutes. Thats from pajamas to driving/walking down the road. If i have more time i can get everything extra ( extra food, more clothes, important papers, tools) out in 15 minutes.

I figure if i need more time than that i might as well just bug in.

I use to run drills but i haven't in a while. It makes a big mess hahah. So its probably time for another one.

I think one of the most important things with a bug out bag is to have a plan with it and to leave room for adaptation.

Looking at some other posts I have realized i have weak spots to work on with my kit. So thank you all for sharing!

bag dump
top two layers
My edc layer is not really any business for sharing.

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I am pretty heavy into the "prepper" scene.. I carry a GHB while at work and a full bag when on trips. Plus, my rig is always ready (almost always i should say) to bug-out if needed. Family farm is close by with its own well and plenty of land. I keep GHB's in all my vehicles at all times. Along with fully stocked first aid/first responder kits in all vehicles, too. Better safe than sorry. I won't go into detail over what I carry...there is plenty of google results for that lol

Maxterra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

West Haven, Utah
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Horting
Member #

My rig is always stocked for about a weeks worth of camping. Tent, sleeping bags, mat, freeze dried food, some water, multiple water purification systems, gear, medical, cooking, tools, etc. Extra change of clothes/boots too.

If I'm going on a trip, typically all I need is to install the arb fridge, rtt, gas/water cans and clothes.
Also keep a good sized backpack in the rig in case I have to hoof it. Can carry essentials I want instead of trying to carry bags which isn't going to work very well.

Like to be prepared for about anything.

B.O.B's at home too.

Kinda thinking that being in a potential earthquake state (UT) that I ought to have some of my gear stored in my shop that's separate from the house, in case house got destroyed.

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

We have 2 Bobs at home and every vehicle carries a bug out box with enough to survive for 3 to 4 days out of our vehicles if needed... One thing y'all will learn about me is that I wear tin foil hats.. But I just like to call myself "prepared".

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

I use to carry one, but that was about 2 years ago. Since then I moved closer to the city for work but should probably throw one in the Jeep again. Who else as more photos and ideas to share for their GHB (Get Home Bag) and/or BOB (Bug Out Bag)?

KoiClayton

Rank 0

Contributor I

Austin, Texas
Member #

This is mine. It's set for winter at the moment so is a little bigger than most of the year, and weighs about 50# not counting water. I used to run multiple packs such as a GHB, BOB, and an INCH, but felt it was easier just to have my pocketed EDC items, and keep this bag in my vehicle.

I'm new to Overland, but been a fan of hiking/camping for a while now. Actually just got home from a little camping trip with a buddy testing out his hammock set up.

Plus I took my dog and his little hiking harness lol

Dunco

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Warwick Queensland Autralia
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK4FABX
BOB aka Bug Out Bag, Who Carries One ?

I wanted my BOB to be seasonal. Before that I felt I kept things for all seasons in one large ruck. Which in most cases would have never been probably ever used or left behind somewhere when I thought I had enough. I feel I have designed my BOB as a method to help me survive if stranded.
With my disability I cant walk out for help like other
Who knows what might happen to you, regardless its a great idea to have one
When we lived in Washington State my dad required us to carry a survival kit when out in the wilds, so my idea carries over from there
Mine is modular with the addition or removal of bags or pouches to fit the seasons climate here in VT
This side shows where I have my admin pouch with USGS topo maps, compass & GPS located. I realize now I need to add spare batteries. Amazing how much you see you are missing when you log all items.

View attachment 9759 View attachment 9760

My first aid kit is very basic. Consists of a few varied sizes of bandaids, gauze rolls, gauze pads, steriwipes, ace bandage, bug cream/lotion, and a few pain pills. I have this attached to the outside back of the pack so it is readily available

My food which is located in the front small pocket consists of one #11pasta with vegetables meal. Butterscotch candy, chicken of sea: crab-tastic & pacific salmon, bumble bee: BBQ chicken breasts & garlic & herb breasts, plus a Mrs.Grass homestyle chicken noodle soup. I almost forgot the 2 bags of jerkey

In the left sustainment pouch I have my MSR pocketrocket, titan kettle, fuel canister (inside kettle), homemade oatmeal & cocoa mix bags, & some more candy. Also my boonie hat & slingshot are in there. It is amazing how much you can cram into one of these pouches. I think I can ditch the candy though. Behind the toilet paper and MSR stove container are a bic lighter and a magnesium fire starter in the same Ziploc bag. I am not sure about some PJ balls here..maybe ?

In the right sustainment pouch I have my DIY hammock and hex rain fly. I seen reviews on the web where folks were not able to get it back in the same pouch afterwards. I had/have no issue in that regards, with the snakeskins it slides in easy no pun intended. Next to it in the silnylon pouch is the hex fly which can be used to create a larger camp site if so chosen. The hex fly resides in the main pack body.

In the main body of the pack there is a plastic foam insert for a little padding in here towards the interior I have my wild edibles guide and a few of these little plastic nets. The use for the nets are limited by ones imagination I feel.

Back to the interior of the pack I have several items that I felt could not be done without.
For starter in the orange pouch I have my Gerber gator folding knife, Gerber suspension multitool with sockets & adapter, Gerber folding saw, diamond sharpener, and in the leather sheath an old navy electrician’s knife. Maybe ditch the electricians knife as I have the Swiss in reserve in another pouch?

In this orange dry sack I have my assorted junk that I thought would be a benefit some how. I may remove some it not all of this to cut down on weight and excess worthless stuff. I have 100ft of orange paracord and about 75ft of black. In the bag with the black paracord I have a small bag of 8 inch zip ties. I know these will remain. Wrapped around the 35mm film canister is some duct tape and about 50ft of 8lb test monofilament line. Inside are a few #4-6 hooks, some small split shot sinkers, small bobber and a floating fly lure. I have the deer drag in there as a left over from hunting season a few years back. The boot laces I can remove and possibly the nalgene replacement cap as I always seem to lose or break these somehow. On the cord with the swiss army knife is tied to is a small USGI sharpening stone for small knives and fish hooks.

Photos were not being placed correctly with text so I've added them as thumbnails
View attachment 9759 View attachment 9760 View attachment 9761 View attachment 9762 View attachment 9763 View attachment 9764 View attachment 9765 View attachment 9767 View attachment 9768 View attachment 9769

Awesome topic mate i was just thinking the other day i should really get GHB sorted out its kind of been left sitting around with half my gear else where or missing completely ............. Ill be following along here to get some more ideas that is for sure:)

Captain Josh

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
This is a great thread. I've got a basic survival setup, but would like to augment it into a better GHB/BOB. I'll be coming back here as I build my checklist.