Launch Member

Member III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Niemi
Member #

Anyone else like to tinker with electronics? After wiring in my front camera, I decided I never want to run another cable through the firewall into the cab, it's a pita AND I'm already out of space for any physical switches.... SOooo, I made an 8-channel relay that is controlled with an Arduino and I wrote an App so you can control the relays via Bluetooth from your phone. I just got my prototype built and will be installing it in my truck pretty soon to control additional lights, winch, etc.

Anyone else interested in something like this?

Any features you'd want other than being able to turn on/off?

-Aaron

Russell Peters

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Orem, Ut
Member #

Custom like how? Flash timing?
Thanks
-Aaron
The only way I can to describe it is to look at the iPhone’s custom vibration settings. I guess you could say flash timing. Where you pick a pattern and then play it back. To be able to tap SOS (or any other Morse code), or make it flash to ‘Jingle Bells’.

ChepoCDT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Mexico City
First Name
Chepo
Last Name
CDT
Member #

That's pretty cool. Thanks! I didn't know about it. I wasn't really planning on marketing mine. So far I'm only in about $30 in parts so I'll going to keep developing it for fun.
So, tell us how it goes! I'm done with wiring! for 30 bucks in parts its a great option!

Reactions: Aaron Niemi

SOLVEFUNCTION

Rank V

Steward II

San Mateo, CA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Lim
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6ETO
I am in

I have used the MIT program and have several arduinos. Are you willing to share code and list of parts used?

Aaron Niemi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Niemi
Member #

I am in

I have used the MIT program and have several arduinos. Are you willing to share code and list of parts used?
Definitely! I can probably post the QR code, or the APK (which do you want?).
I'll post the parts I've used as well.
-Aaron

Reactions: Boort

Aaron Niemi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Niemi
Member #

Apk would be great
Here's the .aia file which you can import into app inventor, which I think will work better than the .apk
I've also attached my arduino sketch. (they're in the .zip)

Here's my BOM:
Seeeduino 4.2 (Amazon $9.90)
DSD TECH HM-10 Bluetooth 4.0 BLE (Amazon $9.99)
Magnolian Car LED Display Power Supply 12V to 5V 3A DC/DC Buck Converter Module (Amazon $7.99)
SainSmart 8-Channel Relay Module (Amazon $11.53)
Some misc wires and headers.

I'll create a schematic when I get some more time.
If you have any questions about the code or anything else, let me know. I'd love to see what you do with it.

Attachments

Reactions: Boort

Aaron Niemi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Niemi
Member #

I'm going to create another version with some UI changes and remove the timing functionality for now, I think I've got a better way to do it.
I'm also working on designing a case, but my sketchup skills are garbage, but once I get that done, I'll 3d print it.
-Aaron

Reactions: Russell Peters