Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Ok, not to disparage any one product over another but I’m seeing a lot of something I didn’t expect to see. I have seen many campers that have gazell tents that are adding a tarp up top. I used to have to do this with old Coleman tents, way back when, to stay a little less wet during heavy rain. Is this the case ? Thanks for anyone’s comments 64E4CD8A-D2B9-4219-A50A-57ACDD8FDC0A.jpeg

waltRmitty

Rank I

Contributor II

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
walter
Last Name
mitty
Based on a single photo, how would one conclude much of anything? Busted or leaky seam, hole in fly from flame up or poor eye hand coordination pounding in a stake...

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Based on a single photo, how would one conclude much of anything? Busted or leaky seam, hole in fly from flame up or poor eye hand coordination pounding in a stake...
The photo is an example- I’ve seen 3 or 4 at campsites here in in the east, over the past year using tarps. You are right, one cannot conclude anything based on 3 or 4 incidents and a photo used as an example. . That’s why I’m asking- duh.

Last edited:

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Donald, We have a T4 Gazelle (overland version) and live up in Washington where it has been known to rain a bit more than occasionally and have never had a need to use a tarp to stay dry. The Gazelle has proven to be an excellent tent with 3 exceptions and none of them deal breakers, Tent is quite bulky when collapsed, need to tie out side walls in high wind so they do not pop in during the night, and the large open mesh top can let out heat when used in freezing cold temps (solved with a small moving blanket on top prior to installing rain fly.), some others in our group have used theirs to the point of completely worn out and still remained dry.

Reactions: rgallant and MOAK

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Donald, We have a T4 Gazelle (overland version) and live up in Washington where it has been known to rain a bit more than occasionally and have never had a need to use a tarp to stay dry. The Gazelle has proven to be an excellent tent with 3 exceptions and none of them deal breakers, Tent is quite bulky when collapsed, need to tie out side walls in high wind so they do not pop in during the night, and the large open mesh top can let out heat when used in freezing cold temps (solved with a small moving blanket on top prior to installing rain fly.), some others in our group have used theirs to the point of completely worn out and still remained dry.
Interesting, I’ve heard a lot of good things about the gazell. Maybe those folks using blue tarps are just doing it out of habit. I remember our neighbor commenting on the first good tent we had long ago, as they were surprised we didn’t use seam sealer anywhere. Yup we’ve set up camp a few times on the Olympic P . It is truly a test of any equipments ability to withstand moisture. ( says the guy that tossed a few less than good led camp lights away. Although Black Diamond replaced one with an upgrade) Thanks-

Reactions: OTH Overland

MiamiC70

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
MiamiC70
Last Name
MiamiC70
Member #

If only Gazelle would make the rain fly larger on all their tents this probably would not be needed at all.
That said I’ve seen that too and I happen to be on the Gazelle Owners FB page where apparently Gazelle QC has gone down during and post Covid. Lot of complaints and examples of just shoddy to nonexistent QC. Luckily I’ve had zero issues with mine although as I stated larger rain fly that extended further down the sides would be a welcome addition.

whododat

Rank II

Enthusiast III

TN
First Name
Jorge
Last Name
Jim
Just had our Gazelle out a couple of weekends ago. The one day it rained all day and night and not one drop in the tent, except for the expected condensation. That was with the rain fly in place. Worked like a champ but just a little too small for our, ahem "older" needs.

Reactions: MiamiC70

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I dunno. I always use a tarp. I just always have. I dont necessarily "wrap" the tent in it so much as I tie the corners to trees, set at a tilted angle so the water rolls off towards the low ground.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I used to always use a tarp over my tent, but never have needed to with my T4+.