Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
I have spent the last couple of hours, at least, looking for info on this BLM proposal and some intelligent analysis that a lay-person can understand......it is difficult to locate on the internet!

I'd like to challenge us all here at Overland Bound to assemble usable links to info that can be read, understood and used to form an educated response to this. I read the majority of the 43 page settlement document from the original lawsuit that has generated this required BLM response. I have read that there are substantial roads and trails that have NOT been inventoried and included in the 4 Alternatives that they are soliciting responses for. I have read that our letters should not be copies of form letters but personalized from our experience in order to "count". And I've read some (but not much) coherent info on the various proposals and what they really mean. This is NOT just about the Moab area, but significant portions of the state of Utah! This involves vast areas that I have been lucky to travel to and more areas that are on my list to travel!

How are we to write a response letter that is meaningful and that will "count" in this if we are unable to locate the data in any usable format?

Can we as a community muster the energy to do something meaningful here? Will some of you actually sign up for the Zoom meeting the BLM is hosting on the 22nd?

@Kent R @Michael , looking for some advice here.

• Love
Reactions: Kent R and MazeVX

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

Reactions: zgfiredude

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I have spent the last couple of hours, at least, looking for info on this BLM proposal and some intelligent analysis that a lay-person can understand......it is difficult to locate on the internet!

I'd like to challenge us all here at Overland Bound to assemble usable links to info that can be read, understood and used to form an educated response to this. I read the majority of the 43 page settlement document from the original lawsuit that has generated this required BLM response. I have read that there are substantial roads and trails that have NOT been inventoried and included in the 4 Alternatives that they are soliciting responses for. I have read that our letters should not be copies of form letters but personalized from our experience in order to "count". And I've read some (but not much) coherent info on the various proposals and what they really mean. This is NOT just about the Moab area, but significant portions of the state of Utah! This involves vast areas that I have been lucky to travel to and more areas that are on my list to travel!

How are we to write a response letter that is meaningful and that will "count" in this if we are unable to locate the data in any usable format?

Can we as a community muster the energy to do something meaningful here? Will some of you actually sign up for the Zoom meeting the BLM is hosting on the 22nd?

@Kent R @Michael , looking for some advice here.
You are absolutely correct on how complicated this is, and it is meant to be complicated so BLM can steer it in the direction they want.
@Del Albright and I will be putting out some more links early next week, with the hope of simplifying the comment process.

Del is a leader on the Land Use front and he really understands what is needed to get our voice heard. You can message him here on the forum or email him at Del@delalbright.com if you have any questions or ideas.

As mentioned above the Red Rock 4 wheelers and The Blue Ribbon Coalition (BRC) at leading the effort both legally and legislatively so I would recommend you get on their sites and sigh up for on going information.

Thanks for being passionate about this subject.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

You are absolutely correct on how complicated this is, and it is meant to be complicated so BLM can steer it in the direction they want.
I have to disagree with this. The website they have is easy to navigate, offers a lot of information on the 4 different approaches, maps, data, etc. And it's easy to navigate.
There is a big button highlighted in green that clearly says "Participate Now", you can leave comments and even attach files.

They had a public zoom hearing and a live stream on YouTube. They accepted and answered questions. And they are giving plenty of time to submit comment.
Not sure what else do you need. I'm not saying I agree with the proposed changes but to me it looks like they are being totally transparent on this.

Reactions: Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I have to disagree with this. The website they have is easy to navigate, offers a lot of information on the 4 different approaches, maps, data, etc. And it's easy to navigate.
There is a big button highlighted in green that clearly says "Participate Now", you can leave comments and even attach files.

They had a public zoom hearing and a live stream on YouTube. They accepted and answered questions. And they are giving plenty of time to submit comment.
Not sure what else do you need. I'm not saying I agree with the proposed changes but to me it looks like they are being totally transparent on this.
You are absolutely correct, my statement about how complicated it is was about the EA process as a whole not the commenting.

They have done a good job with the ability to comment. Sorry you took this the wrong way.

Reactions: trail_runn4r

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

You are absolutely correct, my statement about how complicated it is was about the EA process as a whole not the commenting.

They have done a good job with the ability to comment. Sorry you took this the wrong way.
Got it! I can't comment on the EA, not my field :grinning:

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
For those that may be interested, I have submitted my comment letter this morning. I do not want to share it here, but if you are interested in an example reply that I encourage you modify to suit your own wording you can message me and I'll share.

Reactions: Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
@zgfiredude thanks for this offer. I can also get anyone some wording if they would like @Kent R

Reactions: zgfiredude

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
Here is an update from Ride With Respect and the Trails Preservation Alliance. See Below:

THANK YOU!
We would like to say thank you - everyone - for your participation! In total, the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) received nearly 8,000 comments! Additionally, early in the public comment period many of you asked the BLM for an extension which was granted. Thanks to that extra time, the Trails Preservation Alliance (TPA) and Ride with Respect (RwR) were able to spend many more hours strengthening our comments. So thank you all for stepping up to help!
UPDATE
It’s been nearly a month since we last spoke about the Labyrinth Rims / Gemini Bridges Travel Management Plan (TMP) between Moab and Green River. We have received many questions about the status of trails within the Travel Management Area (TMA) and what the next steps in this process will be.
As of now….NOTHING HAS BEEN CLOSED
The TPA and RwR have recommended that the BLM start over with a full Environment Impact Study because of numerous inadequacies presented in their draft Environment Assessment. If the BLM heeds this request the process will start over with (hopefully) more balanced Alternatives.
If the BLM rejects our request to start over, and makes a decision based on the current proposal, this is what you need to know:
• There will be no more opportunity for public comment before the BLM makes a decision on which Alternative they choose.
• The BLM has a deadline of May 2023 to make a decision, but with such a large volume of comments to review, that date could be moved back.
• Closures are possible after the BLM makes a decision on which Alternative or combination to choose.
• A Protest Period of 30 days may be provided once the BLM makes its decision. This is a chance to convince the BLM to change its decision if we provide compelling arguments that tend to be legal in nature.
• Implementation could go into effect within 30 days after a final decision is made.
STAY TUNED!
We are dedicated to keeping you informed as things develop but in the meantime - enjoy the trails in Moab, and remember to ride responsibly!