BLM Land Near SF Bay Area

• HTML tutorial

BCJohn

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
Member #

Hey All, I’m planning some trips for the new year. Looking for BLM land near the Bay Area for a quick one or two night get away in the New Year. Any suggestions on where to go?

bnglmnF250

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

San Jose, CA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Engelman
Member #

I’ve been out to Panoche Hills a few times which isn’t too far from the bay, off the 5. Also heard about Laguna Mountain, about the same distance, but east of 101. Haven’t been there yet though.

Thomas B

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clara, CA, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
B
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GUK
You should get connected with the new Bay Area group. We just had our first meeting last month. Next one is Jan. 12th in Pleasanton. You can find the details on Rally Point.

The group is planning their first trip for year at the end of January and it will be in Los Padres national forest. Los Padres has some decent trails considering how close it is to the Bay Area.

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

In south San Benito County I recommend Laguna Mountain. You will be on pavement until the campground, but it will be very quiet there this time of year. There are some good hiking trails to explore. I have not been to Panoche Hills in years, the road in may or may not be passible. Mercy Hot Springs would be fun this time of year, and accessible. Just went to Griswald Hills for the day to target shoot, its not.a good place to camp. Don't try Tumey Hills, the road is not driveable due to the recent rains and high water crossing. There is more BLM near Coalinga (Condor Peak), but I am unfamiliar. Los Padres still has a fire ban, including no propane stoves. A buddy just camped in Big Sur instead a few days ago.

Reactions: BCJohn

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

I usually go up to Knoxville ohv out by lake Berryessa

fly boy

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marin County
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mazzon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BIF
Hi Chris-

I've been on the main route thru the area. Are there any side trails you would recommend that aren't very brushy?

Last edited:

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

its really hit and miss with the brush, ive gotten some custom stripes from there but just explore it all

fly boy

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marin County
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mazzon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BIF
Thanks. Was hoping you were clearing the trail for everyone (just my dry humor). All the best for 2020.

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

Ill let you know when we head out there again, rains are coming so its gonna be a muddy mess again and the water crossings will be cool

fly boy

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marin County
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mazzon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BIF
Hi Chris- I'm not much into mud. But when the weather's nicer keep me in mind if you head up that way.

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

Hi Chris- I'm not much into mud. But when the weather's nicer keep me in mind if you head up that way.
Will do, yeah we don't want too much mud, bad experience

BCJohn

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
Member #

You should get connected with the new Bay Area group. We just had our first meeting last month. Next one is Jan. 12th in Pleasanton. You can find the details on Rally Point.

The group is planning their first trip for year at the end of January and it will be in Los Padres national forest. Los Padres has some decent trails considering how close it is to the Bay Area.
YES! I'd love to join. I'll miss the next meeting, but put me on whatever list you have.