Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
The only thing I have ever had concern for was small things (radios, packs, firstaid kits...). I don't however make it look like I will be gone long. If I'm away for the whole day, I leave out my table and enough things that it looks like I'll be back soon. If I go somewhere where I will be away for a few days at a time, I park in a camp ground.
I don't make it easy for someone to steal my trailer. I run a custom hitch that's bolted in with the nut tack welded, chains are wrapped around the tongue and locked. Someone real determined will take it regardless. Those people don't normally prey in the areas I go.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
I guess that my question was poorly worded, I should have asked:

How big a concern is this, really? One thing is to worry about insecurity, however is there evidence that this is really a significant issue in the campsites and wild camping areas where we stay in the USA?

The reference to the USA was specifically because theft from campsites is not, in my experience, significant in many other parts of the world.

There are good data in grubworm's post however they don't tell us how much of the theft which is the concern of OP occurs in campsites.

If I'm right about 7% of the crimes for which people were incarcerated were theft of some sort, and I'm guessing that most of this was in urban areas.

I may have been fortunate, however on the "overland" trips I have made in the USA I have never sensed any insecurity, however I haven't done that much "overland" travel in the USA, compared with elsewhere.

Reactions: Road

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
How big a concern is this, really? One thing is to worry about insecurity, however is there evidence that this is really a significant issue in the campsites and wild camping areas where we stay in the USA?
Over the last two years, I see more people out in the remote areas then ever. More new rigs with much more to lose. I'm sure that means the theft will go up some. With that in mind, I still have no problem leaving my stuff and exploring. Most of the people who camp like us are not going to steal. That doesn't mean it's not going to happen.
Go out and enjoy your self and lock up just like you would anywhere.

Biker Eagle

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chelsea, AL, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Culbertson
Member #

Service Branch
Former NOPD LEO
It doesn't have to be in a remote location to be taken. Case in point, our winnebago was stolen from a commercial RV Park in Wears Valley, the Smokies. January of this year and it has not been recovered. I had paid it off and received the Title just two weeks earlier.
Winnie parked.JPG

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

There is lots of great advice hear I would say listen to that iner-lizard. That voice that got you and your to here. Bigger towns,+ more crooks = RV parks for a couple nights. I would worry more about the content than the trailer.

Reactions: Bootleg

Zephons

Rank 0

Contributor I

Roy, UT, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
Morrill
GPS locators on big items, a warning sign about them (make sure the gps tags can't be removed) and maybe a decoy camera and satellite dish to spook away the thieves.

But seriously, everyone out here has a high likelihood of caring firearms so if a thief accidentally raids a camp that ends up having someone there, it's bad news for them.

I have left my camp all day many times and never had an issue. There are far easier targets for thieves than a camp site out in the middle of nowhere.

Reactions: GeoBon