Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Central Texas, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Jenkins
Member #

2 hours into my latest expedition, my 2007 Ford Expedition blew a motor (think it threw a rod). After nearly 15 years and 181k miles, it was time to let Elmo go.

Enter the 2019 4WD 4Runner SR5 Premium / TRD / TRD Pro (so the VIN description says). And, daddy’s got new wheels!!

Blank canvas. Let’s roll!!

Immediate:
- Rancho 9000 Quicklifts to level and lift a couple of inches
- 18” wheels for the Toyo Open Country ATIII’s I took off the Explorer
- Mount my ROLA cargo rack with my lights

Near immediate:

- do I go stealth integrated bumper with a winch, or full bumper with winch

As soon as possible - get back to the mountains!!

Attachments

Z

Zander Abear

2 hours into my latest expedition, my 2007 Ford Expedition blew a motor (think it threw a rod). After nearly 15 years and 181k miles, it was time to let Elmo go.
Enter the 2019 4WD 4Runner SR5 Premium / TRD / TRD Pro (so the VIN description says). And, daddy’s got new wheels!!

Immediate:

Near immediate:

I would suggest going with an integrated bumper, I think they are just super awesome and just stuff the biggest winch possible in there.

Z

Zander Abear

I forgot to add! I’d look into some fifteen52 wheels. I have the traverse HD’s on my GX470, in a 17x8.5. I absolutely love them, and I have no complaints. They aren’t super expensive, but they aren’t cheap for sure. If you plan on doing some good off-roading, I’d get some beadlocks, most of them aren’t street legal. Some of them are, but for that legal badge they probably wouldn’t be cheap.

CubbyXL7

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Central Texas, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Jenkins
Member #

Immediate:

Near immediate:

I would suggest going with an integrated bumper, I think they are just super awesome and just stuff the biggest winch possible in there.
Looking seriously at the Rago Low Pro bumper. They are in Kerrville, TX and that’s just a couple hours from me. I spoke to them and the owner told me my Smittybilt X2O 12.5K winch I had in the expedition would fit. That should be more than enough!

Attachments

Reactions: Zander Abear

CubbyXL7

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Central Texas, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Jenkins
Member #

I forgot to add! I’d look into some fifteen52 wheels. I have the traverse HD’s on my GX470, in a 17x8.5. I absolutely love them, and I have no complaints. They aren’t super expensive, but they aren’t cheap for sure. If you plan on doing some good off-roading, I’d get some beadlocks, most of them aren’t street legal. Some of them are, but for that legal badge they probably wouldn’t be cheap.
Have decided to sell the 18” and get Toyo Open Countries for the 17” stock wheels for now. Definitely sticking with the Toyo’s though.

Were I going to do some real wheeling, then would definitely consider beadlocks. If I start making some trips where wheeling is unavoidable, I definitely recognize the benefits of beadlocks.

Reactions: Zander Abear
Z

Zander Abear

17’s are the way to go! If your not doing any crazy wheeling, the 52’s would be fine. I put 285/70R17 on my 17X8.5 wheels. Couldn’t ask for them to fit any better.

Reactions: CubbyXL7

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Looking seriously at the Rago Low Pro bumper. They are in Kerrville, TX and that’s just a couple hours from me. I spoke to them and the owner told me my Smittybilt X2O 12.5K winch I had in the expedition would fit. That should be more than enough!
When I was a kid we installed 5K# winches in 3/4 ton forestry trucks. Today the standard is 8K# but in a 4runner, 12K# is crazy. Ultimately you need to consider ride and GVWR, crazy to add weight where you don't need to.

Reactions: CubbyXL7 and Road

CubbyXL7

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Central Texas, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Jenkins
Member #

When I was a kid we installed 5K# winches in 3/4 ton forestry trucks. Today the standard is 8K# but in a 4runner, 12K# is crazy. Ultimately you need to consider ride and GVWR, crazy to add weight where you don't need to.
Concur on the weight consideration. The Rago bumper I’m adding is only 100# and the winch is about 40#. And, the winch is what I got and it’s practically new. It is lighter with synthetic line.

So, gonna try it. If it seems to be too much, then I can swap it later.

Appreciate the input - it is definitely something to consider.

CubbyXL7

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Central Texas, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Jenkins
Member #

Continue the progression.

Cali Raised LED 8 switch pod. Under dash switch assembly installed along with the switch pad. All I could get done before a severe thunderstorm blew in.

Power connections tomorrow and hopefully front and rear ditch lights and 6 inch rear light.

Attachments