Black NATO jerry cans

• HTML tutorial

First State Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Delaware
Member #

What are your thoughts on the color of fuel cans that would be exposed to direct sunlight on the roof of the rig? Looking at some quality NATO jerry cans, red or green would be a natural choice but black would match the my rig better. As we all know black absorbs sunlight / heat. Think there would be any safety concern with black jerry cans full of gas mounted on a black JK roof in the direct summer heat?

Flip

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Corona, CA.
Member #

There's some good YouTube video of a company testing out the Wavian NATO jerry cans. One of the tests, pressure test. And drop tests. They can take a beating. Check it out. They can build a lot of pressure before getting damaged. But my personal preference, I got the red. Easy to see and won't absorb the sun as does the black. I got 2 Jerry cans for my truck.

O.Dfj

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Foothill Farms
Member #

I think you will be fine my nato jerry cans have been inside my fj on 110 degree day and didnt have a problem. They also have flow out the back of a pickup at 40 mph and been fine, just a little bit ugly now lol.

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Heat can certainly be an issue. Another is atmospheric pressure. Every couple thousand feet of elevation change can cause the can to bulge or contract. I've had gas explode out when opening the latch. I was snow camping in the morning around 7,000', and opened the can ~200' above sea level in 105*F weather that afternoon.

Someone else I know has a rather large dead spot in his front lawn after an eruption of gas. He lives around Sacramento and his rig was outside all day. He opened the can on his roof rack and it shot 15' into the air. He was pretty freaked out by the sheer speed with which everything happened. When he got back from his trip he could see where exactly the gas landed.