San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Basil
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6LBE
Not "overlanding" in the sense of camping, but a great, simple drive up to a fantastic spot for views and maybe a nice lunch!

So, there are at least two tracks for it in the Overland Bound App map, and it's accessible by taking 7th Ave West off Main in Ramona, rolling along into Pamo Valley (it becomes Pamo Valley (dirt) Road) and turning up through a gate. I marked it a "2" in the App, but that's an error: it's a 1. You could climb it with any Subaru, any 2wd pickup with AT tires and without needing more than 6" ground clearance, but it's much nicer and smoother with the 4x engaged, ha ha! There are some videos out there on YT and a gate that *can* block off the last 1/3 of the ascent, but that was open today and the reward is excellent views with parking for 2-3 rigs up top, more if you wanted to squeeze in. The truck trail had SUV's, Jeeps, cyclists and motos on it, but not many. It's a rocky, bumpy climb, but an easy one. This would be a great "first trail" or "easy trail" for small groups looking to have a little fun.

Once up on top, the views are outstanding. I pulled a five gallon bag's worth of trash off the top area, so it's pretty clean, too. (Give a Hoot, Don't Pollute!)

Attachments

EBasil

Rank VI

Influencer I

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Basil
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6LBE
Today, I revisited Black Mtn, but added a roll across the Upper Santa Ysabel Truck Trail. This is a narrow, occasionally rocky but still level 1 or 2 trail that can be used to create a much longer trek up to the top of Black Mtn. I found a campfire ring up on top, of which I am suspicious, so I will call the ranger station to find out whether dispersed camping is allowed there (it is in many parts of the Cleveland Nat'l Forest).

EBasil

Rank VI

Influencer I

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Basil
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6LBE
FYI, there's a Rally Point for Jan 29th, I just posted, using these trails and "campsite".

EBasil

Rank VI

Influencer I

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Basil
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6LBE
As "four-wheelin' " goes, it's not much of a trail, but as a fun offroad route up to a spectacular vista, it's EXCELLENT. We had great fun on the Rally
Point ride, including a great roll across Santa Ysabel Truck Trail on the way out. Just fantastic.

Here are a few photos taken before it got dark and the chupacabras came out.

Attachments