Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Rosa, California, United States
First Name
Vince
Last Name
Rothermund
Member #

Hi all. Has anyone else had issues with Bilstein 5100 shocks on their Tacoma? I am not sure if it was the extra weight of camping supplies and the RTT, but it seems I have blown out the fairly new 5100s on the rear of my Tacoma after some very mild offroading. They are the right shock length for our lift and only had 20k miles on them. Has anyone had similar issues? If so, any suggestions on upgrades for a Gen 2 Tacoma that might have a slightly heavy backside?

Vince Rothermund

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Rosa, California, United States
First Name
Vince
Last Name
Rothermund
Member #

I don't have a Taco but I have the 5100s on my Jeep and know several others that do and love them. We haven't had the first bit of problems out of them on our Jeeps.
Thanks. I am hoping that it is just a fluke. I have totally loved them up until this point. I am thinking maybe it was just the weight of our camping supplies combined with one or two off-camber sections of the trail that did the shock in. Hopefully they offer a warranty. [emoji17]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using OB Talk mobile app

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

Wow. This is interesting. I JUST ordered 4 last night for my Tundra. Did you get yours replaced under warranty ?

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I had a 5100 blow out on my Xterra about a year after I installed a new set. I was disappointed, but ended up getting a discount on a replacement. I haven't had any problems since then and they seem to work well.